Forums - Sony Discussion - Buy a Sony 3DTV in june and get free 3D games

disolitude said:
Icyedge said:
disolitude said:
Rainbird said:
klystron said:
Rainbird said:
klystron said:
Hey guys, Sony failed to deliver 1080p. What makes you think they're going to deliver 3D?

What do you mean by "failed to deliver 1080p"? Sure, not many games run in 1080p, but doesn't really matter, and not that many games are going to be in 3D, but it will be awesome with the ones that none the less. No one is expecting the PS3 to be a huge 3D gaming machine.

Most games aren't. Sony said "the next generation starts when we say so" and "only 1080p is true HD" etc. God of War 3 was promised 1080p since like 2005. I'm bitter because I bought the hype and got a 1080p tv a month before ps3 came out expecting greatness. Boy was I surprised.

The difference here is that 720p and 1080p is not all that different, whereas 3D stereoscopic viewing vs. not, is very different, and Sony doesn't need new hardware for this to happen.

I think he is saying -

2005 Sony saying - "playstation 3 will be 1080p, buy 1080p TVs". And it turns out 720p was fine for 98% of the games.

2010 Sony saying - "PS3 does 3D gaming, buy 3d TVs". And it may turn out its 5-10 games every year...most of which are not games that the majority wants to play very much. Like the ones listed above...

Also Sony will surely need new hardware to run games like God of war 3 in 3D...at 720p...

Honestly I think this console 3D will be a disaster but I am very glad that PS3 3D bluray support is coming.

I think you may want to suspend your judgment, if they are able to do motor storm pacific rift works in 3D, then they can do a lot of games work. I was really surprise by the announcement, wipeout/stardust/pain no surprise but motor storm may prove that it can works on heavier titles also. In connaisance of cause thinking it will be a disaster is a bit fast.

Call me cautiosly optimistic... Cautiously being the key word.

I have 2 3D TV's at the moment, both of which don't support HDMI 1.4.

They work with Nvidia 3D vision as well as other shutter 3D glasses found on the net, they work with any computer Bluray players + powerDVD10 software for 3D blurays, and they will work with PS3 games.

I hope PS3 comes through and delivers a great 3D gaming experience. But since I know quite a bit about the tech and how it works, it just seems too good to be true...I sense some 2D to 3D conversion method for some titles which is not what we want.

I hope I'm wrong though.

Im also cautious, im not all hyped out about it (im never hyped out about anything anyway unless it makes me get cash), but I think its a little too fast to think it will be a disaster either ;). Im suspending my judgment at the moment, I think it may be great but as you say they may use a 2d to 3d conversion that will only add depth to image instead of making things stick out of the TV.

Around the Network

@Icyedge

I think Sony really needs this to succeed on some level. No one has been able to deliver an out of box, easy, cheap and pain free 3D solution yet and Sony has a shot.
Even with Nvidia 3D vision there are waits for updates, failed drivers, displays not working when they shoud, broken 3D fx...etc. But overall, when that product works as it should, it kicks major ass.

@dis,

I totally agree with you, we need a company that will be able to put all this together. Its only at that moment that normal people will get into 3D. I think Sony wants to be that company, its why I have some faith into their 3D products. But they are surely limited with the technology, so im also cautious like you are to see if they can really deliver. The release of their 3D tv and games will make for good dicussion soon enough. Do you think of buying a PS3 IF it works well since you already have the TV? (I think it will support checkerboard)

perfect. the ps3 is awesome and 3 D - nice =) thank you Sony

the best RPG's are coming 2013 !!!! oh my god, this is perfect for RPG-GAMER = ) Ni No Kuni - 25 january, Time and Eternity, tales of xillia (PS3) and the maybe best game ever: metal gear solid ground zero

Icyedge said:
@dis,

I totally agree with you, we need a company that will be able to put all this together. Its only at that moment that normal people will get into 3D. I think Sony wants to be that company, its why I have some faith into their 3D products. But they are surely limited with the technology, so im also cautious like you are to see if they can really deliver. The release of their 3D tv and games will make for good dicussion soon enough. Do you think of buying a PS3 IF it works well since you already have the TV? (I think it will support checkerboard)

I know that 3D bluray will most likely NOT work using the PS3. Actually it will work but i will need this device... http://hdguru.com/legacy-samsung-3d-tv-owners-will-soon-be-able-to-view-3d-blu-ray-discs-and-3d-directv/1386/

So for bluray I will stick with my computer + bluray drive + nvidia 3D vision + powerDVD10 3D setup

But gaming works differently and I am 99% sure that the PS3 3D driver will support checkerboard as its not very hard to implement at all.

So I will buy PS3 for sure if 3D bluray works on checkerboard TVs...or if gaming support is..."adequate".

Around the Network
disolitude said:
Icyedge said:
@dis,

I know that 3D bluray will most likely NOT work using the PS3. Actually it will work but i will need this device... http://hdguru.com/legacy-samsung-3d-tv-owners-will-soon-be-able-to-view-3d-blu-ray-discs-and-3d-directv/1386/

So for bluray I will stick with my computer + bluray drive + nvidia 3D vision + powerDVD10 3D setup

But gaming works differently and I am 99% sure that the PS3 3D driver will support checkerboard as its not very hard to implement at all.

So I will buy PS3 for sure if 3D bluray works on checkerboard TVs...or if gaming support is..."adequate".

I read the article you posted but didnt learn what I wanted, maybe youre able to explain. I wanted to know exactly why (technologically speaking) it would not accept the signal without the upconverter box for blu ray movie while it can for games. Care to explain me?

Icyedge said:
disolitude said:
Icyedge said:
@dis,

I read the article you posted but didnt learn what I wanted, maybe youre able to explain. I wanted to know exactly why (technologically speaking) it would not accept the signal without the upconverter box for blu ray movie while it can for games. Care to explain me?

Its not an up convereter box...if anything it should be called the downconverter box...lol. That mitsubishi box will take a 1080p @ 120 hz and will convert it to 2 720p signals in a checkerboard pattern. Hence making it work on all 3D capable DLP TVs using checkerboard.

The reason why PS3 most likely won't support checkerboard for 3D blurays is because it will have to adhere to the 3D bluray spec which states that 3D blurays must provide a full 1080p resolution per eye...something checkerboard doesn't do.

For gaming however, the 3D community feels that since checkerbaord drivers are so easy to implement (Texas instruments are literally giving that tech away at this point) PS3 will most likely have defult support for it. Most games can even run at 1080p and have the driver downscale them to the checkerbaord pattern so no modification needs to be made there...

This mistery PS3 3D driver is key to everything. We will know in June what is what...

disolitude said:
Icyedge said:

Its not an up convereter box...if anything it should be called the downconverter box...lol. That mitsubishi box will take a 1080p @ 120 hz and will convert it to 2 720p signals in a checkerboard pattern. Hence making it work on all 3D capable DLP TVs using checkerboard.

The reason why PS3 most likely won't support checkerboard for 3D blurays is because it will have to adhere to the 3D bluray spec which states that 3D blurays must provide a full 1080p resolution per eye...something checkerboard doesn't do.

For gaming however, the 3D community feels that since checkerbaord drivers are so easy to implement (Texas instruments are literally giving that tech away at this point) PS3 will most likely have defult support for it. Most games can even run at 1080p and have the driver downscale them to the checkerbaord pattern so no modification needs to be made there...

This mistery PS3 3D driver is key to everything. We will know in June what is what...

Great, thanks for the information, thats exactly what I wanted to understand. If theres no other thread until then, lets talk about it together once it release. Like I told a few months ago, if it doesnt deliver, I might purchase a gaming PC to use in the living room, so I might need your help :).

Icyedge said:
disolitude said:
Icyedge said:

Great, thanks for the information, thats exactly what I wanted to understand. If theres no other thread until then, lets talk about it together once it release. Like I told a few months ago, if it doesnt deliver, I might purchase a gaming PC to use in the living room, so I might need your help :).

Yeah man, sounds good. I'm looking forward to seeing how this all falls in to place in June and then discussing it on forums :)

disolitude said:
Icyedge said:
@dis,

Actually sony has confirmed that it will support 3d gaming and 3d movies come june, and it will all be through HDMI 1.4

mM