By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Everyone should play Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber right now*.

Is this a good start for a SRPG noobie?

Around the Network
MANUELF said:

Sorta.

You won't have much trouble learning it, but it's not really like other SRPGs. It's almost totally unique.

"You bet this because you are a stupid."

You insulted my intelligence Khuutra! Now I won't buy it out of spite.

Chrizum said:

I didn't mean you, Chrizum. Never you.

Khuutra said:
Chrizum said:

I didn't mean you, Chrizum. Never you.

Oh, that's good. It happens to be I really wanted to try this game.

Really, when I was younger, I searched ages for this game, only to find out years later that the game was never released in the PAL regions.

I'll download it as soon as I finish Majora's Mask on VC.

Around the Network
Chrizum said:

Oh, that's good. It happens to be I really wanted to try this game.

Really, when I was younger, I searched ages for this game, only to find out years later that the game was never released in the PAL regions.

I'll download it as soon as I finish Majora's Mask on VC.

I am glad that childhood dreams can be brought to fruition through the magic of the Virtual Console!

Yea the sound track to this game is awesome. My brother recently beat it, the original N64 one and I kept telling him about all the little secret things like items and recruiting characters and stuff. He was so mad that he started it again, this time trying to get all the chars. Though he thinks he missed getting Vad. But I have been trying to coach him on the side lines.

Holy crap I love this game.

@Manuefl, this was my first SRPG and I was only like 14 when it came out. I didn't really have a problem with it, I mean I did have a guide though.

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.

MANUELF said:

If you're an SRPG greenhorn, I'd suggest Shining Force II or one of the Final Fantasy Tactics games. Then you can choose whether to move on to Fire Emblem or Ogre Battle. The former is simpler, but unforgiving, while the latter is more complex and more forgiving.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

great game, played it back when it came out, but also bought it the first day it came out on VC, haven't beat it yet though. Still working on it.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

I am playing the game right now on VC. It's a VERY fun game, and judging by how the story runs in this game, it is obvious the original Final Fantasy Tactics is VERY much inspired by Matsuno's own ideas for the Ogre Battle series.

I am currently at Chapter 17; I have the first three Pedras (chose water as my default, Got Earth and Wind after). My team is largely made up of a Cleric/Priest in the back row with an Archer, and three Knight/Paladins in the front row. Most of my units are high alignment, but I have two neutral and one chaotic (just for the Chaos Frame).

I have my teams based on certain naming conventions:

Three teams dedicated to friends. One team to sun Gods (Mithras, Apollo, Helios) and Moon Goddesses (Diana and Selena); another to Knowledge Gods (Odin, Mimir, Minerva, Sophia, Athena), a couple of teams with actual characters (Dio, Leia and such), and a few teams dedicated to other favourite games (Skies of Arcadia, Phoenix Wright, Final Fantasy 8).

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.