By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Eternal Darkness Gamecube - who has played it!

bdbdbd said:
@Khuutra: With the cathedral you're essentially talking about textures, that were way beyond what N64 could put out due to the compression required.

The discussion we're having here is in lines of "OMG, Killzone 2 has a tree and smoke, while Halo 3 has a tree and car tracks. This is a proof that Y looks better".

No, I am also talking about the geometry and the scale of the thing that's visible at any given time. Also: lighting.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
bdbdbd said:
@Khuutra: With the cathedral you're essentially talking about textures, that were way beyond what N64 could put out due to the compression required.

The discussion we're having here is in lines of "OMG, Killzone 2 has a tree and smoke, while Halo 3 has a tree and car tracks. This is a proof that Y looks better".

No, I am also talking about the geometry and the scale of the thing that's visible at any given time. Also: lighting.

As i said, i'm not saying that nothing was improved. Only that the improvements were minor. The improvements we're talking about here is in lines of what a Wii game looks in relation to a GC game - there's a difference, but it's hardly a meaningful one. The game could have looked like Starfox Adventured, Rogue Squadron, Metroid Prime or Super Mario Sunshine.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

bdbdbd said:
Khuutra said:

As i said, i'm not saying that nothing was improved. Only that the improvements were minor. The improvements we're talking about here is in lines of what a Wii game looks in relation to a GC game - there's a difference, but it's hardly a meaningful one. The game could have looked like Starfox Adventured, Rogue Squadron, Metroid Prime or Super Mario Sunshine.

I want to be clear that I don't think ED is a spectacular-looking game: it was't. Its graphics were merley functional (which was good enough for me by definition). But saying it was at N64-level is just kind of a weird hyperbole.

And yes, I agree it could have looked better in theory, but I don't think Silicon Knights has or has ever had the technical skill necessary to pull that sort of thing off. It showed with Blood Omen, it showed with ED, it showed with Too Human: if you want something from them to look graphically impressive, you have to have somebody else make it. They rely a lot more on style than on technical wizardry.

...Now that I thin of it, that's probably best exemplified by the huge gap between MGS:Twin Snakes and MGS2, with MGS2 looking miles better in spite of being a number of years older.

@Khuutra: Ok. Let me rephrase my original statement:
The game looks more like an N64 game with crispy textures, than an average GC game.

It could be that SK lacks the technical skill, but also that ED was ported rather quickly, if i recall. Taking the full advantage of the new hardware had required the game to be rebuild from the ground-up.

Other than that, i do think the game was better with more style and less graphics.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Beat the game at least 4x maybe even 5 I cant recall. Got the best ending too.

Want the Key to Eternal Life?
read about it here:
http://www.cipherwire.net/eternal_life.html

Wii Friend Code: 7592-1692-7773-4859

Around the Network

Cool, haven't played that one... silly me, I could have bought it used for 10€ or so.

Other GC games to recommend: Hmm, somehow I only played the big hits, so... but you GOT to play
- Wind Waker
- Mario Sunshine
- Mario Kart: Double Dash

And I've got a copy of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures + 4 cables waiting to be played, but I have no idea where to get 4 GBA's cheap :(

I'd have to admit that I played it for 10 minutes and did not like it. To be fair I really didn't give the game a chance. Now I'm finding it hard to go back to the past

I have! Just loved it! One of the top games on the GC. Finished it about a dozen times!!

bdbdbd said:
Khuutra said:
bdbdbd said:
NightDragon83 said:

N64 graphics?  Are you serious?!?  Eternal Darkness was one of the best looking GC games at the time of its release... only the Resident Evil remake and perhaps Rogue Squadron II topped it in the visuals department up to that point!

Is there a joke considering the game that i'm not aware of...? If there is, please share.

ED is the worst looking GC game there is. As a fixed angle game, it's easilly what N64 could do, sans the textures. In graphics department, it rivals Majora's Mask and Goldeneye. If you want to say the game is visually the most atmospheric game on Gamecube, i definately agree, but a good looking game... No.

The graphics were not even close to N64-level. The rolling fog alone would have been too much for that system to handnle, and the character models - at the time - looked pretty damn good.

Technically speaking it wasn't the best-looking game, but on a technical level it was good enough to carry the art style, which left a very positive impression.

It wasn't the best-looking Gamecube game that year - not even close, as Starfox Adventures and Metroid Prime both released that year - but it was far from the worst-looking in the Gamecube's library. It wasn't even in that neighborhood.

Edit: It wasn't fixed angle, either, the camera would follow your character.

By fixed angle i meant that you had only one perspective, even if camera followed you.

The overall detail and the models (that look like the ones in Goldeneye) was made able by saving resources with not letting the camera to roam freely and using a lot of black in the background. The biggest improvement from N64 were the quality of the textures, that didn't need to be as compressed as they had been on N64.

Naturally, i'm not disagreeing with the art style part, but it is the worst looking GC game i have played.

i have to completly disagree with you.

ED has great looking grafix, it may not be ultra high res or anything, but i would give it a 9.0 in grafix its runs very very smooth,, and overall looks very good.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Yep was one of the best Cube games, I only kept a few GC games and I still have my copy. People complaining about it in this thread are getting on my nerves even, I don't want to hear that crap.

Still my favorite narative of any video game ever, great gameplay, great overall game design. Nothin negative can be said about it that holds any water and thats the facts.

As for other GC games you may have missed, how about Viewtiful Joe?