By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple thinks they are competing with DS/PSP, launches Game Center

If they're competing, they're doing so with severely assymetrical values.

Actually, this move almost looks like they're gunning for the 360. They could grab customers who want what the 360 is offering in part, but has overshot otherwise.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

I really do not see it as anymore a gaming machine than I do my desktop. Which can be used for games but really is not that much at all.

well the more games you have the less chance a good game sells if it is a new game as it will be lost in the huge amount of games.. unless the developer has the resources to advertise it so it gets seen

and one more thing it is not about quantity it is about quality and i am sure the DS alone has enough of that

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

meh. we shouldn't be affected by their irrelevant comparisons. Don't dignify their claims by extremely reacting to the graph. we all know it doesn't affect the REAL gamers. not someone who plays farmville and claims that he is a gamer.

Boy Apple has really turned in to a Knee Slapper, haven't they.

Around the Network

psp and ds dont think the iphone is competition even though it holds 10 percent of the hand held gaming market hmm i accurately play games on my iphone pretty often so it would be nice to have something like this

Redhors said:
meh. we shouldn't be affected by their irrelevant comparisons. Don't dignify their claims by extremely reacting to the graph. we all know it doesn't affect the REAL gamers. not someone who plays farmville and claims that he is a gamer.

Someone who plays farmville is a gamer. Their money is just as green as yours.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

maybe can compete with the psp but not the ds

everyone has to copy the whole achivment thing from microsoft

leatherhat said:
You could combine all 50,000 games together and still not have the quality of a single psp or DS game.

Riiiiiiiight. I agree that out of Apple's "50,000" games maybe 5% of them are good. But thats still 2,500 relevant to someones interest games.

Just looking at the DS I can say, maybe, up to half the DS games are worth anyones notice. That just about comes to 2,500.

Even if that were not true, Apple is not a dedicated gaming company and never will be. Games will always be tertiary to other goals. The fact that they are even in the same ballpark is bloody remarkable.

Apple has the _potential_ to blow both nintendo and sony mobile gaming out of the water based on shear volume alone. You release enough junk, eventually something good comes out.

Nintendo and SONY need to one up Apple soon by opening up their development platform ASAP. Bypass the need for game approval (which apple never will) and Nintendo or SONY could cut the rug out from under Apple games. Mobile gaming is especially suited to one person or small team developers of bite sized games. I expect eventually Apple will have so many games that mobile gamers will have _no_ choice but to buy an iPod Touch/iPad if they don't want to miss out.

edit: quoting the wrong person failure, FIXED

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.