By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple thinks they are competing with DS/PSP, launches Game Center

Nintendo will rape the shit out of them.

I am Kong.

Strong and passionate, I tend to be misunderstood, sometimes even feared. I don't want to fight, I don't want to cause trouble, all I ask is a little love, and a little peace. If I don't get what I want, I get angry, and throw barrels and flaming oil at whatever's stopping me. What Video Game Character Are You?
Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
@a12331

&

@dharh

thanks both!

BTW is it advisable to get an iphone 3GS or iphone 3G?

You definitely should get a 3GS, the 3G model is soon 2 years old and as the newer model is selling more and more, the installed base is tipping towards the newer models all the time so more and more games will be made to take advantage of the faster processor and GPU of the 3GS. As a quick comparison, Real Racing in 3G supports 6 cars in the track at the same time; when the 3GS was new the devs reported that they could put 40 cars on the tract at the same time with no problems at all. So the difference is quite dramatic for games. Anyway, the next model is due out in about 3 months so if you're not in a hurry you might want to wait until that.

rutea7 said:
Apple needs to either release a real gaming system or GTFO of the gaming world, thats how i feel.

they obviously have no gamers working at apple to tell them how to do it properly, they are obviously not concerned about quality or value, they only want a quick buck from casual gamers.

Ahem. Apple is building a gaming platform, piece by piece. It's the 3rd parties that make all the games. With regards to gaming, Apple has so far provided two frameworks specifically for games: one for wireless communications for multiplayer games over bluetooth or wi-fi, and now the Game Center. So I think it is fair to say that Apple has not been making a gaming system, it is the developers and gamers who are using the devices for gaming.

Edit: Forgot to mention that Apple makes pennies out of the App Store sales, they are not after a quick buck from $0.99 sales.

Smart move imo. Microsoft has no presence in the handheld space (lol Zune), so Apple leveraging Microsoft's chief console advantages (Live) makes some sense here. Especially against Nintendo.

I don't know if you can see it as competition. Somehow i just can't see people thinking whether to spend their money on ipad/iphone+games or nintendo ds/sony psp. For me, they're not fighting over the same buck.

What do you guys think?

If i lose access to this profile as well....I'm done with this site.....You've been warned!!.....whoever you are...

Happy Wii60 user. Me and my family are a perfect example of where hardcore meets casual and together mutate into something awesome.

Around the Network

Kinda funny to see some of the reactions...

Most of the arguments people are throwing at Apple have been thrown at the Wii for the last 3 years..........

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

is OS 4 out now?
Sweet!!

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

They can have over a million games. They still need to make them popular. And if all people do is download a 'racing' game and get bored with it after 5 minutes because it controls horribly and its 2 levels long, then they aren't going to go and download a second racing game.

The reason people come back to the DS is because they get addicted to games like Mario and Warioware, and want more.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

yanamaster said:
I don't know if you can see it as competition. Somehow i just can't see people thinking whether to spend their money on ipad/iphone+games or nintendo ds/sony psp. For me, they're not fighting over the same buck.

What do you guys think?

I don't think people walk into the store and decide iphone or ds/psp.

Instead, they will carry a iphone already and say the games are plenty fun, I don't need to spend more money or carry more junk around.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

As a multimedia device that happens to do games too, iPad could be seen as competing with PSP, at least. But this is how things can appear only considering HW and the purposes it's suitable for. The kind of games and other apps that will be developed for or ported to it can determine more which portable it will compete with, if any. This IMVHO.
As I wrote in another thread, the only almost sure genre whose I could see it stealing some users from DS is that of interactive recipe books.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!