By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Are macs really better then pc's?

This is coming from a person with both:  I tell ya what, I've had PC's..they're great.  For gaming, business, etc.  However, converted to a Mac for the last 3 years...won't go back.  Macs can also run windows via Boot Camp, I just use that for gaming.  And my Mac for everything else...no problems, no viruses...it's fantastic...

Around the Network

Depends on what you want out of it.

Price/performance macs are WAAAAAAAAAY worse as they are WAAAAAAAY too expensive.

If you want the ability to easily upgrade your machines, PCs are the way to go.

If you want access to every piece of software available without having to dual boot or use VM ware, then you'll want a PC with windows.

Macs are nice and look pretty and I like the OS much better, but macs lack the software I like (for the most part) and are too expensive for what you get.

No.

They're slightly different, and not always in a good way.

DeltaXIII said:
johntonsoup said:
Haha, I love how people just assume that Macs are for people who don't understand computers. Actually, the percentage of software developers who use Macs is much higher than the percentage of the general population who use Macs.

Macs are superior in a lot of ways: security, stability, ease of use, developer tools, and very high efficiency and control for user applications.

PCs (running Windows) are also superior in a lot of ways: many more hardware customization/upgrading options, the availability of very cheap components, and a vastly larger selection of software (especially games).

In my opinion, it all comes down to personal choice. I like them both and I think people that argue that "people that use operating system ___ are insane, stupid, or deluded" should probably take a look in the mirror.

I will try to look for it tonight, but I remember reading from some computer related convention (or some such) where they had tests of cracking into systems (windows, mac and linux) and someone (or people) commented that the mac wasn't particularly more secure than the windows systems. From my understanding, it has beem more of a lack of people trying to break in because it is a "better" use of their time to try to break into windows anyhow. This was probably from a couple years ago though, so I can't say about the status of current systems.

Also in my experience, I haven't really had stability problems with my windows machines for several years. Unless we want to discuss hardware related, but that's a different subject. Whereas I remember back in the day when I was in elementary school, the macs back then had plenty of crashes, but I'm well aware that the current systems are supposed to be very good about it. I haven't had really any long term use of macs for awhile, so I can't speak on the other points. I'm not really against the mac operating system. I do take some issue with the price Apple charges for some of their hardware though, but that just means I can continue voting with my wallet.

I believe what you are looking for is this.

http://www.itworld.com/mac-hacked-first-in-contest-080327

It's actually easier to hack a Mac then Windows... if your actually trying to.

Macs are safter then PCs from viruses in the same way that Milwalkee is after then New York from terrorism.  Terrorists could hit it easier, but there isn't much point.

it can be justified to pay a premium for a better looking computer with an easier to use os, if it has everything you need, but making the premium the same price as the parts is ridiculous. The bottom of the line imac is $1200, and if you look around a bit you can find a pc with better specs for $600. The mac laptops are slightly more reasonably priced and I can understand why people might want them since a lot of the laptops at similar price to it, overheat a lot, and break down quickly.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
DeltaXIII said:
johntonsoup said:
Haha, I love how people just assume that Macs are for people who don't understand computers. Actually, the percentage of software developers who use Macs is much higher than the percentage of the general population who use Macs.

Macs are superior in a lot of ways: security, stability, ease of use, developer tools, and very high efficiency and control for user applications.

PCs (running Windows) are also superior in a lot of ways: many more hardware customization/upgrading options, the availability of very cheap components, and a vastly larger selection of software (especially games).

In my opinion, it all comes down to personal choice. I like them both and I think people that argue that "people that use operating system ___ are insane, stupid, or deluded" should probably take a look in the mirror.

I will try to look for it tonight, but I remember reading from some computer related convention (or some such) where they had tests of cracking into systems (windows, mac and linux) and someone (or people) commented that the mac wasn't particularly more secure than the windows systems. From my understanding, it has beem more of a lack of people trying to break in because it is a "better" use of their time to try to break into windows anyhow. This was probably from a couple years ago though, so I can't say about the status of current systems.

Also in my experience, I haven't really had stability problems with my windows machines for several years. Unless we want to discuss hardware related, but that's a different subject. Whereas I remember back in the day when I was in elementary school, the macs back then had plenty of crashes, but I'm well aware that the current systems are supposed to be very good about it. I haven't had really any long term use of macs for awhile, so I can't speak on the other points. I'm not really against the mac operating system. I do take some issue with the price Apple charges for some of their hardware though, but that just means I can continue voting with my wallet.

Macs are safter then PCs from viruses in the same way that Milwalkee is after then New York from terrorism.  Terrorists could hit it easier, but there isn't much point.

EXACTLY...it's safe because a VAST of people don't use it, and it's not worth the time of the people doing this stuff.  After having to mess around with my wife's Mac as much as I've had to...the mythbuster test proves that alot of it is all perception.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Well of course it is. The "macs have less problems" things is mostly caused by a lower selection sample. All you need is one or two horror stories to remember and if more people own PCs then macs... even with equal chance for problems will lead to mroe people hearing about PC problems.

They are over priced and they will never match price/performance of a modular less controlled architecture like the PC. They are restrictive for serious gaming. However, from a support POV, they are more reliable and the fact their UI just seems to work, if someone has the extra dosh and don't care too much for serious gaming, then I find it more and more tempting to recommend a Mac.

I do a home PC support business on the side and from experience, I find the Windows world just too fickle, too fragile, to see it being a reliable option to a user that has no PC/Nerd/Geek background. To put it blunt, the PC breaks down far too easily. It's just not like a consumer appliance. I gather a Mac will break down with stupidity as well but I have many friends with Mac's and it seems far rarer for those people to have so many issues. And I can tell you, the Mac users are less "PC" savey than a lot of PC users that I know.

Mac's - great UI, controlled Hardware, resulting in generally more reliable usage. I am not saying a Mac is a more secure system than a Windows based one. I am saying due to it's controlled nature and great UI, it has some inherent competitive advantages, but also some disadvantages when it comes to other areas or needs.

Kasz216 said:
DeltaXIII said:

Yes, I believe it was about one of those competitions. Now upon some searching related to that one, some people hold that the system was taken down in that short time, but that was after possibly weeks of preperation. Whereas the article I read before was talking more about Macs having a large number of security holes (perhaps as many as Windows), but they didn't say about time it would take to utilize them, so perhaps some give and take. I don't have a background in Computer Science or computer security, so I'm mainly working on information I can find, but I do think it is an interesting topic.

DeltaXIII said:
Kasz216 said:
DeltaXIII said:

Yes, I believe it was about one of those competitions. Now upon some searching related to that one, some people hold that the system was taken down in that short time, but that was after possibly weeks of preperation. Whereas the article I read before was talking more about Macs having a large number of security holes (perhaps as many as Windows), but they didn't say about time it would take to utilize them, so perhaps some give and take. I don't have a background in Computer Science or computer security, so I'm mainly working on information I can find, but I do think it is an interesting topic.

Even if it did take weeks of preperation... nobody was able to take down the Vista PC with just as much time.  It took a step further to hack into vista.