By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS really excited about THQ Natal title.

disolitude said:
huaxiong90 said:
disolitude said:
Natal needs to have solid 3rd party support to get some traction...so this is good news.

I'm a little skeptical as to whether 3rd parties will be able to make great use of Natal right off the bat or not. I think it's first party efforts which will truly show.

Your skepticism is justified. I mean if Wii is an example, 3rd parties have major issues with new tech...

That's just the thing, looking at their efforts on the Wii makes me wonder. 3rd party support will, as you said, get it some traction, but I don't feel that alone will suffice to carry new tech like Natal all the way through.

I think the multimedia capabilities of the device shown at E3 by Microsoft can really be a strong selling point along with some ambitious first party titles.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Around the Network
mai said:
disolitude said:
Natal needs to have solid 3rd party support to get some traction...so this is good news.

Well, taking into account THQ track record there's nothing to be hyped about

Red Faction Guerrilla
Company of Heroes
Dawn of War
Dawn of War II
Darksiders
UFC Undisputed
SmackDown vs. RAW
De Blob
Saints Row
Saints Row 2
STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl
Metro 2033
Titan Quest

All very good games

I'd like to see something pushing Natal but THQ angle is somewhat surprising me.

I was thinking maybe Ubisoft based on their relative success with party games/let's dance on Wii might produce something interesting but I never thought THQ might.

I'll wait and see and give them the benefit of the doubt for the moment that they have come up with something interesting.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Barozi said:
mai said:
disolitude said:

Red Faction Guerrilla
Company of Heroes
Dawn of War
Dawn of War II
Darksiders
UFC Undisputed
SmackDown vs. RAW
De Blob
Saints Row
Saints Row 2
Metro 2033

All very good games

Seconded.

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

theres a lot of wii games that still cant use the wii very well. even less that i think use the wii very well.
things with move shouldnt be all that hard, since its so similar to the wiimote. companies should be able to port some of their wii products over with little difficulty.

natal doesnt have an input device like the others, so there will obviously be some time before there is a firm grasp of the sorts of things that work well with the product. conceptually, it seems to have brought a lot of excitement and ideas forward from devs. but whether they can translate that into enjoyable games...

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network
disolitude said:
huaxiong90 said:
disolitude said:

I'm a little skeptical as to whether 3rd parties will be able to make great use of Natal right off the bat or not. I think it's first party efforts which will truly show.

Your skepticism is justified. I mean if Wii is an example, 3rd parties have major issues with new tech...

Problem is 3rd parties dont either 1. See Wii as a new way to play, or 2. create limited games due to a controller.

'No' controller asks a great deal of innovation in game design. A true step forward. If M$ are gushing at the prospect of this game, I trust them. No way in hell M4 would put a game centre stage if it wasn't of Gears or Halo quality.

selnor said:
disolitude said:
huaxiong90 said:
disolitude said:

Problem is 3rd parties dont either 1. See Wii as a new way to play, or 2. create limited games due to a controller.

'No' controller asks a great deal of innovation in game design. A true step forward. If M$ are gushing at the prospect of this game, I trust them. No way in hell M4 would put a game centre stage if it wasn't of Gears or Halo quality.

I respect that, but I'm still skeptical about this whole thing. But if they can do it, kudos to them.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Barozi said:
mai said:
disolitude said:

Red Faction Guerrilla
Company of Heroes
Dawn of War
Dawn of War II
Darksiders
UFC Undisputed
SmackDown vs. RAW
De Blob
Saints Row
Saints Row 2
Metro 2033
Titan Quest

All very good games

True, but none of those games took advantage of a new paradigm in controls.  That's why people have very little faith in 3rd parties.

i wonder if its a new IP altogether or just redesigning a current franchise to work for natal. I would love to see a UFC or WWE wrestling game using Natal- if done well these could definitely be seen as system selling apps

disadvantages of natal::

-will be expensive
-will have expensive development costs, the code written for natal will be quite different than button-controlled games
-natal games wont bring in nearly as much, if PSN games are any indication, the offerings by natal wont be that AWESOME as they will mostly be downloads
-MS doesn't have a casual userbase
-lag
-limit of kinds of games that would be ideal for natal, like say a yoga game or something