By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Snesboy's Guide to HDTV retro gaming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s07hpVZuL

Around the Network
devon37 said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s07hpVZuL

Your link doesn't work.

If they have AV cables, they are somehow plugged into splitters, going into a Receiver, going into my TV.  The oldest system which actually operates well on my plasma TV is the NES, which is the oldest system I have with an AV output.  Every system released around or after the Genesis that I own, is hooked to the HDTV.  The rest, the older ones, are around a 27-inch tube television adjacent to this whole mess.  The Intellivision rests atop that TV, and I discovered that these older systems do not like to be wired through each other where the RF cables are concerned.  They need to be plugged in one at a time.

Don't think most PS2 games support 16x9 at all... for most that setting does nothing.
www.wellbridal.com
I've also found S-Video and component on the Ps2 to be worlds apart.

Snesboy said:
mike_intellivision said:

I can't believe I just spent 15 minutes watching someone to tell me to run the RF into a VCR for my Atari 2600.

Luckily, I have an Atari 2600 and an Intellivision that have been hacked to output composite. However, the Intellivision signal is so weak, it still needs to run through a VCR for amplification.

Mike from Morgantown

I can. A lot of the users on this site, well, their time isn't worth anything. And I figured it would be a fun little video, so I posted in the OP.

I know. I did not mean this as a negative. I meant it in the fact that ... this is so interesting/fascinating -- next thing you know, it is 15 minutes later.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network
Resident_Hazard said:

If they have AV cables, they are somehow plugged into splitters, going into a Receiver, going into my TV.  The oldest system which actually operates well on my plasma TV is the NES, which is the oldest system I have with an AV output.  Every system released around or after the Genesis that I own, is hooked to the HDTV.  The rest, the older ones, are around a 27-inch tube television adjacent to this whole mess.  The Intellivision rests atop that TV, and I discovered that these older systems do not like to be wired through each other where the RF cables are concerned.  They need to be plugged in one at a time.

There might be such a thing as an RF switch box. But I'm not sure. I'm gonna go look for a link.

EDIT: Doesn't look like such a thing exists.

newscctv said:

Don't think most PS2 games support 16x9 at all... for most that setting does nothing.
www.wellbridal.com
I've also found S-Video and component on the Ps2 to be worlds apart.

Indeed they are. And you're right about widescreen. If a PS2 game supports it, you can typically find it in the options menu. If not, well, you get to look at pillarboxing.

As for the S-video/component thing, you would also be correct again. However, if you are rocking a regular TV but it has an S-video out and not a component out, it's best to go the S-video route.

As a matter of fact, some regular TVs have component outs. These are known as EDTVs, or Enhanced Definition. And now you know.

Snesboy said:
Resident_Hazard said:

There might be such a thing as an RF switch box. But I'm not sure. I'm gonna go look for a link.

Yeah I think it's always been assumed that:

1.  RF cables can be wired through each other.
2.  No idiot will ever try to wire up to 6 devices through one another.  I'm that idiot--Atari2600, 5200, 7800, TurboGrafx-16, Sega Master System, Mattel Intellivision. 

The NES and Saturn were formerly wired in this way, but without AV cables, neither system broadcast audio on my surround sound system--and I didn't like that.  I want that mono Castlevania coming at me from all sides!

The only system I have that I cannot use is the old Coleco Telstar, which requires a TV so old that it still has horizontal and vertical hold knobs.

It never donned on me to wire any of that stuff through my VCR.  I may have to give that a shot.

EDIT (I forgot the Intellivision)

Resident_Hazard said:
Snesboy said:
Resident_Hazard said:

Yeah I think it's always been assumed that:

1.  RF cables can be wired through each other.
2.  No idiot will ever try to wire up to 6 devices through one another.  I'm that idiot--Atari2600, 5200, 7800, TurboGrafx-16, Sega Master System, Mattel Intellivision. 

The NES and Saturn were formerly wired in this way, but without AV cables, neither system broadcast audio on my surround sound system--and I didn't like that.  I want that mono Castlevania coming at me from all sides!

The only system I have that I cannot use is the old Coleco Telstar, which requires a TV so old that it still has horizontal and vertical hold knobs.

It never donned on me to wire any of that stuff through my VCR.  I may have to give that a shot.

EDIT (I forgot the Intellivision)

You can get fake stereo by wiring through a VCR but it's been awhile since I have done it.

How do I hook up a PS3 to a gameboy?