By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Snesboy's Guide to HDTV retro gaming

Killy_Vorkosigan said:
The best experience I ever had for retrogaming was using the nice filtering settings in Zsnes. Then you can play Super Mario Bros in 1920*1080 on your Plasma Screen with the original graphics. That was nice.

Neat trick. I bet it just zooms in or something.

Around the Network

Almost all of those systems support RGB out, which would be the best output in all cases.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

I have a game called Stunt Racer FX for SNES. It's a widescreen only game. For some weird reason.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

novasonic said:
I have a game called Stunt Racer FX for SNES. It's a widescreen only game. For some weird reason.

Its because of the superfx chip. The game takes too much for the system to render fullscreen.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

sieanr said:
novasonic said:

Its because of the superfx chip. The game takes too much for the system to render fullscreen.

Aha, That's kind of what I thought too, but I didn't know for sure. You sir, have taught me something new today.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

Around the Network
sieanr said:
Almost all of those systems support RGB out, which would be the best output in all cases.

Too bad systems such as NES don't support RGB because of their hardware restrictions.

And for all intents and purposes, you need to do some more research because RGB = component.

novasonic said:

If at all possible, could you take a couple snapshots? One of Stunt Race FX in 4:3 mode and then 16:9 mode taken from your TV.

And I know of the game, but I haven't played it :-/

Snesboy said:
sieanr said:

Too bad systems such as NES don't support RGB because of their hardware restrictions.

And for all intents and purposes, you need to do some more research because RGB = component.

No it doesn't. RGB sends the signal as three color channels, component sends it by a black and white image with two chroma signals. The two aren't compatable in any way.

sieanr said:
Snesboy said:
sieanr said:

No it doesn't. RGB sends the signal as three color channels, component sends it by a black and white image with two chroma signals. The two aren't compatable in any way.

Apparently, they are two sides of the same coin:

To answer the question is there a difference between RGB and component, the answer is both yes and no. Yes there is a difference between RGA and certain types of component video. RGB is considered one type of component video, so in that respect RGB and component video are the same with no differences. However, RGB is just one type of component video, and there are differences between RGB and S-video, which is another type of component video. One difference in RGB and S-video is that S-video uses two separate signals and RGB uses three signals. Component video is not the same as RGB. RGB video puts the horizontal/vertical sync information in with the color information. RGB colorspace, even if it is carried only on three cables, is not the same as component video colorspace.

http://www.abccables.com/info-rgb.html

They both use the same color cable anyways. It's not possible to use component/RGB/S-video with the older systems. The highest video feed they utilize is composite.

nice guide.

i have a question though: the genesis cables you mentioned work without having to mod the genesis for s-video? And do they support 60hz?

Because I just modded my PAL genesis with the 50/60hz and ENG/JAP switches, and the official scart cable that came it with only outputs in black and white when I set the genesis to 60hz.

I did find a scart cable that supports 60hz and stereo from the model 1 once, but it's like 16 euros or something