By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Graphics: SMG vs. Super Mario Sunshine (Or how SMG's graphics were hyped)

endurance said:
Schwarz said:
Trolling,banning,flamewar.Everything in just my first twentyfive minutes as a member of this site:) or :( I just don't know.

its not usually like this it only happens occasionally

It doesn't happen all the time Schwarz, you just happened to pick a time when someone got a bit testy and went too far.   Online, people need to remember to not take it personally. 

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

Around the Network
Timmah! said:
Legend, I seriously think you need to get your eyesight checked. Seriously, I am concerned.

But seriously, I see a BIG difference. In colors, details, cutscenes, particle effects, amount of polygons, other effects (lighting, shiny stuff, bump mapping, etc) art style, distinctive feel, did I miss anything?

I'm sorry... You must be right, and every reviewer on the planet must be wrong.

yeah we are all wrong and he is right

Rath said:
blue10 said:
VGChartz will die and feel the rath of NPD....suckers this site reaks of dumb ass mods and isn't going anywhere!!!!!!!!!!!

They're feeling the me of NPD? YAY!

I guess I'll give it a shot: The graphics are better in SMG, but the Mario model isn't as much different from SMS.

There! =P

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

Legend11 said:
fazz said:

2nd: Models of the characters have more polygons in Galaxy, and that's very noticeable. Levels don't have much increase in polygons, but they have normal mapping work in them to give them a more natural feel when you are looking at them in normal view. For example the Yoshi head planet: when you look at it from the normal view, it looks like very high-polygoned. But when you switch to normal view. Not to mention the parallax and bump mapping work.

3rd: Texture work in the character's models in Galaxy is higher. In fact, textures in character models in Sunshine was pretty scarce (gourad shading maybe?). But still, how much texture improvement can you do to Mario? More skin imperfections? More rivets to his overalls?

Take a look at the Piranha Plants and Bowser at around 70% into the video... There doesn't seem to be much of a difference between both games.

SMG looks more colorful and clearer

Around the Network

I need to fix this post.... looked at the wrong numbers!

Numbers: Checker Players > Halo Players

Checkers Age and replayability > Halo Age and replayability

Therefore, Checkers > Halo

So, Checkers is a better game than Halo.

fazz said:
Rath said:
blue10 said:
VGChartz will die and feel the rath of NPD....suckers this site reaks of dumb ass mods and isn't going anywhere!!!!!!!!!!!

They're feeling the me of NPD? YAY!

lol

He is going to be perma banned if this keeps up.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

facher83 said:
Examining the video in question I measured the video playback of the Galaxy screen shots, 730x530 (or close to it) is the most resolution for playback that is presented. Oddly enough both Sunshine and Galaxy are presented in that same resolution, so of course it looks similar.

However, Sunshine is only rated at a resolution of somewhere around 400x300, while Galaxy is rated at somewhere around 854x480. The difference is huge, but when you scale down the size and detail of the video to Sunshine-like resolution you will be losing quality.

When both games are being played side by side, the resolution for each is roughly 520x400. If Galaxy is rated at 854x480, compared to 520x400, Galaxy is being presented at 208k pixels instead of 410k, which is roughly stating that.........

Galaxy in this video when side by side with Sunshine is only being displayed at half the resolution. Go figure, it looks similar in detail. That's an obvious misconception.

Please do not use facts or reasonable arguments. That could prevent a flamewar, thus making the objective of this thread unachievable.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

First of all, you have to watch it in the "HD" video. On SD, the resolution is 480x360, but this video is cropped further, making it 480x272, the PSP's resolution. In HD, the resolution is 960x540 (which is actually PAL Standard Definition), showing that there is a graphical improvement, you just have to look closely. Texturing, draw distance, lighting, effects, and polygon count are all much higher.*

Of course they aren't as high as Halo 3 to 2, but legend fails for bringing that up, since one system has several times the resources of its predecessor, so OF COURSE the graphics will have several times the improvement. In the case of Galaxy, the improvement seems to be around 2 times Sunshine, which is what Nintendo promised.

*I do maintain that even if HD, especially 1080p, isn't vital to see details in a game, seeing well below 480p does lose some detail, especially if it's barely above 16-bit vertical resolution.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs