By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - UK - 360's strongest country?

akuseru said:
DirtyP2002 said:
The Xbox 360 will easily secure 2nd place in the UK and the US. Maybe even in Australia and probably in Canada, even though we don't have much data from canada at all, but I doubt they are 100% different to the US data. So the largest english speaking countries do prefer the Xbox 360 over the PS3.

This might be a big plus for the next generartion.

First step: Get into the market (Xbox)
Second step: establish on the market (Xbox 360)
Third step: Dominate the market (Xbox³)

I think having a huge fanbase in some of the biggest markets in this industry can't be wrong.

How will the 360 easily secure 2nd place in the UK? GT5 has not even been released yet ^^ The last Top Gear I saw (it was a rerun yes) they even mentioned that Polyphony Digital (or as he said: "the guys behind the fabolous Gran Turismo games") had made the graphics for the car's speedometer and whatnot. GT5 will help the PS3 in the UK a lot, but the gap is pretty big though, 1.7 million. However, I don't believe the PS3 is out of the race just yet. It looks like it will be a tough battle, almost impossible. Let GT5 show us the truth =P

And Australia? Even with the ridicolous prices our forum's members from Down Under report, the PS3 is still doing fairly well compared to the 360. This week it sold about 1000 more units, and the PS3 is about 144.000 units behind, which is a lot. But the PS3 is apparently really expensive in Australia, so if the PS3 has a price drop it may sell a lot better in the future.

Do you really think GT5 will make the gap close? Let's say they sell 1.5 million copies in UK alone. And the game might push 200k consoles in UK (That is a lot btw and would mean about 1 million PS3s sold due to GT5 worldwide) there is still a 1.5 million gap and the Xbox 360 did not get a price cut since september 2008. Actually they saw a price increase for the Arcade SKU. Really, there is no way the PS3 will get 2nd place in UK.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
themanwithnoname said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Seece said:
Kilzoned82 said:
360 is much cheaper than the PS3 in UK. 360 launched 16 months before the PS3 in the UK. 17 months advantage is a big lead in regards to gaining install base and market exposure and more time for marketing and advertising in the region.
360 has had wo more extra Xmas periods than the PS3 in the UK.
Microsoft puts more time, effort and $$$ into advertising and marketing the 360 in the UK.

Another person that completely doesn't get the point of the thread

360 in the UK against PS3 in comparison to 360 against PS3 in the US.

I think I answered this question pretty well (a post which is, of course, being conveniently ignored).

Why would the 360's strongest country/territory be one where it's not winning and is not even close to the Wii in sales? 

Because it's pretty clear that he's comparing the 360 to itself and the PS3 and not the Wii? I don't see how you're arguing that because the Wii is beating it in the US, thus the 360 can't have the US as its "strongest" country. And yeah, I think I'll keep going on thinking the US is its strongest country rather than a speculative post that it could be Brazil or some other random country...

Well if it's a matter of userbase size, then America is obviously the 360's strongest territory, and there's no need for a thread. It also has the strongest software sales there. So the only way he could be making this comparison is relative to the other systems. I would say the 360's strongest country is the one where it holds the most market or does the best relative to its competitors. You know, the thing that makes sense. And I think that whatever that country is, it wouldn't be one where Nintendo mowns the majority of the market. That's why I theorized that Brazil (or another country with high rates of piracy) would be the 360's strongest nation, since a system that is constantly pirated.

If that causes you to be pissy, then just leave me alone.

MontanaHatchet said:
themanwithnoname said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Seece said:
Kilzoned82 said:
360 is much cheaper than the PS3 in UK. 360 launched 16 months before the PS3 in the UK. 17 months advantage is a big lead in regards to gaining install base and market exposure and more time for marketing and advertising in the region.
Microsoft puts more time, effort and $$$ into advertising and marketing the 360 in the UK.

I think I answered this question pretty well (a post which is, of course, being conveniently ignored).

Why would the 360's strongest country/territory be one where it's not winning and is not even close to the Wii in sales? 

Because it's pretty clear that he's comparing the 360 to itself and the PS3 and not the Wii? I don't see how you're arguing that because the Wii is beating it in the US, thus the 360 can't have the US as its "strongest" country. And yeah, I think I'll keep going on thinking the US is its strongest country rather than a speculative post that it could be Brazil or some other random country...

Well if it's a matter of userbase size, then America is obviously the 360's strongest territory, and there's no need for a thread. It also has the strongest software sales there. So the only way he could be making this comparison is relative to the other systems. I would say the 360's strongest country is the one where it holds the most market or does the best relative to its competitors. You know, the thing that makes sense. And I think that whatever that country is, it wouldn't be one where Nintendo mowns the majority of the market. That's why I theorized that Brazil (or another country with high rates of piracy) would be the 360's strongest nation, since a system that is constantly pirated.

He said in comparison to the PS3 only in the OP, so Nintendo systems are irrelevant. I'm not getting pissy, but it's annoying that you respond to the only counterargument produced against your post, which again is only speculation that we can do nothing with, by trying to discredit me as "pissy."

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

themanwithnoname said:
MontanaHatchet said:
themanwithnoname said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Seece said:
Kilzoned82 said:

He said in comparison to the PS3 only in the OP, so Nintendo systems are irrelevant. I'm not getting pissy, but it's annoying that you respond to the only counterargument produced against your post, which again is only speculation that we can do nothing with, by trying to discredit me as "pissy."

So why is Nintendo not counted? Because they don't matter?

Anyways, right now in the U.K., the PS3's userbase is about 60-66% of that of the 360 (roughly). That's already less than the ratio in the U.S., so we can also safely say (by PS3 vs. 360 standards) that the U.S. is a stronger territory for the 360 than the U.K. And even then, the 360 still has an advantage in the "Other" region. It's likely that several of the countries included are very pro-360, giving it an edge in that territory. We may not have the names of specific countries, but it doesn't mean they shouldn't be considered. 

And I'm not trying to discredit you. You're just being pissy.

MontanaHatchet said:
themanwithnoname said:
MontanaHatchet said:
themanwithnoname said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Seece said:
Kilzoned82 said:

So why is Nintendo not counted? Because they don't matter?

Anyways, right now in the U.K., the PS3's userbase is about 60-66% of that of the 360 (roughly). That's already less than the ratio in the U.S., so we can also safely say (by PS3 vs. 360 standards) that the U.S. is a stronger territory for the 360 than the U.K. And even then, the 360 still has an advantage in the "Other" region. It's likely that several of the countries included are very pro-360, giving it an edge in that territory. We may not have the names of specific countries, but it doesn't mean they shouldn't be considered. 

And I'm not trying to discredit you. You're just being pissy.

Nintendo isn't counted because they aren't mentioned as being a point of comparison in the OP. If he had mentioned the Wii in the OP, then yeah, I'd see your point, but it's not my fault that he specifically states just the PS3 in the OP.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

Around the Network

The more advanced is the country the bigger install base of 360 it gets, except for Japan due to ob(omb)vious reasons.

Within a year ps3 will over take xbox in UK :) Let's see how things are by the end of Spring next year..

btw above is a prediction :D Not a fact! not yet at least

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Black RL said:
The more advanced is the country the bigger install base of 360 it gets, except for Japan due to ob(omb)vious reasons.

What do you mean by advanced? if you mean wealth, then Germany is more advanced than the U.K., and they prefer the PS3 over the 360.

DirtyP2002 said:
akuseru said:
DirtyP2002 said:
The Xbox 360 will easily secure 2nd place in the UK and the US. Maybe even in Australia and probably in Canada, even though we don't have much data from canada at all, but I doubt they are 100% different to the US data. So the largest english speaking countries do prefer the Xbox 360 over the PS3.

This might be a big plus for the next generartion.

First step: Get into the market (Xbox)
Second step: establish on the market (Xbox 360)
Third step: Dominate the market (Xbox³)

I think having a huge fanbase in some of the biggest markets in this industry can't be wrong.

How will the 360 easily secure 2nd place in the UK? GT5 has not even been released yet ^^ The last Top Gear I saw (it was a rerun yes) they even mentioned that Polyphony Digital (or as he said: "the guys behind the fabolous Gran Turismo games") had made the graphics for the car's speedometer and whatnot. GT5 will help the PS3 in the UK a lot, but the gap is pretty big though, 1.7 million. However, I don't believe the PS3 is out of the race just yet. It looks like it will be a tough battle, almost impossible. Let GT5 show us the truth =P

And Australia? Even with the ridicolous prices our forum's members from Down Under report, the PS3 is still doing fairly well compared to the 360. This week it sold about 1000 more units, and the PS3 is about 144.000 units behind, which is a lot. But the PS3 is apparently really expensive in Australia, so if the PS3 has a price drop it may sell a lot better in the future.

Do you really think GT5 will make the gap close? Let's say they sell 1.5 million copies in UK alone. And the game might push 200k consoles in UK (That is a lot btw and would mean about 1 million PS3s sold due to GT5 worldwide) there is still a 1.5 million gap and the Xbox 360 did not get a price cut since september 2008. Actually they saw a price increase for the Arcade SKU. Really, there is no way the PS3 will get 2nd place in UK.

Yes, I know. it's way too much =) but it's GT, you never know...

or in this case you do. PS3 will not make 2nd in UK ! pretty obvious actually

M.U.G.E.N said:
Within a year ps3 will over take xbox in UK :) Let's see how things are by the end of Spring next year..

btw above is a prediction :D Not a fact! not yet at least

All we need for this prediction to come true is that the Xbox 360 stops selling right now and PS3 sales need to increase significantly.

In the past 3 years, the PS3 sold 3 million consoles in UK, so an average of 1 million / year. The gap is 1.7 million. So the PS3 needs to sell 1.7 million consoles, being up 70% over the average previous years. And of course, the Xbox 360 won't sell one single console from now on...

I would like to make a bet.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...