By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Persona 5 Platform speculation.

My money is on either PS3/360 multi (they didn't hire 360 developers for nothing) or PSP.

Around the Network
johnappseed84 said:
jarrod said:
johnappseed84 said:
jarrod said:
johnappseed84

None of those games have outsold Twilight Princess actually. But again, we're moving farther and farther from any real relevance to a niche RPG like Persona.  No Persona game will ever come close to those sorts of sales regardless of platform, so I'm not sure why you keep bringing them up?

Also, I think you misunderstood me, I'm not saying future Personas should ape Strange Journey and be something of a more hardcore throwback.  I'm saying Atlus has purposely repositioned Persona, and made it more appealing to a teen audience versus older Megatens (including Persona 1-2).

Actually, GTA4 PS3 outsold Twilight Princess. And Twilight Princess had the advantage of being a Nintendo game, yet the fact that Twilight Princess has only sold 5.5 million copies and the Metroid games on Wii so far have failed to sell more than 2 million copies says something about the audience for T and M games on Wii. I brought up the other games because you listed some of the bestselling T and M games on Wii versus the sales of some of the lower selling T and M games on PS3 that have sold like past Persona games. Third party ips like Muramasa on Wii that had a great deal of critical acclaim yet failed to sell like Yakuza 3 etc. on PS3 shows that Persona could actually sell less on the Wii than past PS2 versions of Persona while sales of games like Yakuza 3, White Story, etc on PS3 show that Persona 5 could sell like past Personas on PS2 on PS3. I think they are trying to appeal to the typical anime fans that tend to like games like the Personas on PS2 and have a PS3 for blu-ray and the Final Fantasy games.

Only two Metroid games in history have sold over 2 million.  Even Super Metroid didn't, it's a fairly niche series.  And Twilight Princess Wii is the 3rd best selling Zelda in history.  I'm not so sure either of these cases are great examples for Wii's inability to sell M/T games, when they're doing well above average for their respective franchises?  Unlike say, GTA4 PS3. ;) 

Also, I wasn't listing "some of the best selling T and M games on Wii", I was listing "Mature audience games" on Wii in Japan that sold in the territory of Persona titles.  Y'know, to show that sort of sales potential is well within range for Wii's 10m+ base.

And finally, what's with comparing Yakuza 3 to Muramasa?  One's a big budget, hugely advertised AAA series from the 4th largest Japanese games company that sold nearly a million on PS2.  The other's a 2D sidescroller, from a tiny developer and niche publisher, who's spiritual predecessor on PS2 sold around 100k.  You're pretty laughably off the mark if you series think either series is at all comparable to each other, or a good indicator for Persona...

The reason GTA4 didn't sell as well as past GTA's was because it was on both 360 and PS3. If it had been only on PS3 it would have sold comparably to past GTA games because if you add up the total for 360 and PS3 it is close to past GTA sales. How many T and M rated games have sold over 250,000 copies on Wii in Japan and how many T and M rated games have sold over 250,000 copies on PS3 in Japan?

Twilight Princess was also on GameCube.  If it hadn't been, then I guess it'd be the best selling Zelda in history by now. ;)

Japan doesn't use M/T, they use the Cero scale.  For their highest rating (Cero Z) no PS3 or Wii games have sold over 250k.  For the next highest (Cero D) only Resident Evil (PS3 & Wii), Yakuza (PS3) and Hokuto Musou (PS3) games have. For reference, in Japan the Persona games are rated Cero B.  Strange Journey and the Devil Summoners were Cero C.  Persona's pretty much viewed as the more teen oriented, less hardcore Megaten spinoff.

i'd like it to be on a console - ps3 before 360 but either would be fine.

i also wouldn't mind it being on the psp - i don't play it that often and how that i have a baby, i don't get to sit in front of the tv that often anymore either.

poroporo said:
I hope it goes to either ps3 or wii, no portable Persona 5 please.

Honestly, it's going to be PSP and we all know it.  P3P handily surpassing Atlus' expectations last year probably sealed the deal.

Why make a PS3 game when you can do it significantly cheaper on PSP and sell just as much or more?  It's the same situation Wii faces against DS for Japanese support, in some ways Nintendo and Sony are their own worst competition.

johnappseed84 said:

Well considering the fact that the Persona games have a reputation for being the most hardcore jrpgs out there as far as subject matter is concerned with things like demonic possession and cannabalism in them and since they are almost all rated t or m kind of like the Death Note of jrpgs, then I think it does matter how well t or m games sell on a respective system in determining which one the next one will be on.

Actually, the Persona series, as it is now, is the most mainstream of them all. The Shin Megami Tensei main series and some of its other spinoffs are known to have really dark themes, but Persona usually keeps it a bit lighter.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
johnappseed84 said:
Soriku said:
johnappseed84 said:

The reason GTA4 didn't sell as well as past GTA's was because it was on both 360 and PS3. If it had been only on PS3 it would have sold comparably to past GTA games because if you add up the total for 360 and PS3 it is close to past GTA sales. How many T and M rated games have sold over 250,000 copies on Wii in Japan and how many T and M rated games have sold over 250,000 copies on PS3 in Japan?

lol, that's ridiculous. The sales gained from the 360 version wouldn't have suddenly went to the PS3 because not every 360 owner owns a PS3. GTA4 wouldn't have sold as much as the older games if it were exclusive; the PS3 didn't have that kind of userbase to make the game sell that much.

As for the T/M thing I'll let jarrod handle that because I don't feel like going through release lists...

If GTA 4 had been an exclusive it would have increased the usebase of whichever console it was on so that it would have had a userbase that would have allowed it to sell comparably to past versions just like it did last gen on the PS2.

That's assuming everyone who bought the 360 version would buy the PS3 when that obviously wouldn't be the case. And then even more people would have to come out of no where to make it more comparable to past games.

There were over 120 million people that bought PS2's last gen. And a recent article on this forum said that 39% of the people that still say they're interested in getting GTA 4 haven't bought a current gen system yet.

It won't be on psp, Atlus need to do a true first HD game. They ' re really in late this gen for developement.

And maybe psp sells well in Japan, but there is no way for selling more than ps3 in the west.

In addition we don't know what will do a persona game on HD platforms in japan, maybe it will do even better than psp.

Soriku said:
johnappseed84 said:

There were over 120 million people that bought PS2's last gen. And a recent article on this forum said that 39% of the people that still say they're interested in getting GTA 4 haven't bought a current gen system yet.

You're thinking about GT5 not GTA4...

Well, there's also a group of 360 owners that wouldn't have bought a 360 if GTA4 wasn't on there and if it had been a PS3 exclusive some 360 owners would have bought a PS3 to play it.

There shouldn't be anymore Persona... ever. It's a terrible series and just brings Megaten down. They should focus on more SMT games and maybe a sequel for Devil Survivor.

PhoenixKing said:
There shouldn't be anymore Persona... ever. It's a terrible series and just brings Megaten down. They should focus on more SMT games and maybe a sequel for Devil Survivor.

Surely you jest. I think core SMT games are superior but the Personas make them more profit. Just go compare the sales of Persona 4 and Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne or Digital Devil Saga. I just hope I can kick some DEMON- ass on mah PS3 someday.