By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Persona 5 Platform speculation.

johnappseed84 said:
jarrod said:
johnappseed84 said:
Another reason that it would most likely be on PS3 is because inal Fantasy XIII sold roughly twice as well as MH3 in Japan.

Apples and oranges.  DQX is going to sell roughly double what FFXIII did in Japan as well.

DQX has always been a more family friendly type series than Final Fantasy, so it should be expected that it will sell more on Wii.  However, no Persona game has ever had the type of sales that MH3, DQ, or FF have had.  Also, Persona is more of a mature audience type of game than DQ. Mature audience games like FF, MGS 4, the Yakuza series, Valkyria Chronicles, have shown that they can sell in the same type of numbers on PS3 that Persona has sold in the past on Playstation consoles.

Almost all of the mature audience games on Wii have sold less than the ones on PS3. 

Well, it's interesting you say that given MH3 outsold every game you just mentioned besides FFXIII.  Other games on Wii that sold in the range of the titles you mentioned include Monster Hunter G, Resident Evil UC, Samurai Warriors 3, Twilight Princess, Fire Emblem, Tales of Symphonia/Graces... again, I'm not exactly seeing an issue for audience here?

I'd also argue that Dragon Quest, being a series two decades old and deeply rooted in nostalgia and timeless themes, likely has an older average audience than Persona actually. It's inclusive, while Persona's more niche, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a sizable mature audience.  And really, Persona's even been reinventing itself to appeal to more shonen audience starting with P3, unlike the more obtuse and dark dungeon crawling Megatens of yesteryear... and coincidentally, it's on DS, arguably the most youth focused platform this gen, that we've seen SMT draw backwards towards the older, more hardcore style too.

Around the Network

The Wii has healthy sales in all markets, thus it can potentially sell Persona 5 in all three. You're not getting the point though. Putting the game on the PS3 limits it to the PS3. It'll be the only platform to have it, or maybe it'll be shared with the 360 for an extra bit of sales. Putting it on the Wii/PSP/PS2 gives it the following advantages:

1. Reusing assets from previous Personas and having lower development costs going in than an HD Persona would have.

2. It would be featured on the two platforms Persona has been known for the last 5 years, the PSP and PS2. The Wii is merely added in because of the ease to port between PS2, PSP and the Wii. 

3. It opens it up to both the handheld and console market, and it allows the series to grow into a new platform from this generation without much risk of tanking or having to rework the game to accommodate more expensive art, as the PSP and PS2 can ease it by showing strong sales in their own markets that they flourish in.

So this option gives the series security, allows for a less expensive title to be produced even while on three platforms, and opens it up to a new audience. I'm not saying this is what Atlus will do, but it would be the smartest choice they could make.

1. Creating PS3 version would give them assets to use for multiple games on HD platforms decreasing cost of development in the future. And noone sane expects Atlus to push graphics to the edge with 20+ milion budget game.

2. Huge number of PSP/X360/PS3 titles done recently suggests porting from ps3 to psp is also easy. And if porting from PS2 to Wii was so effortless then where are those dozens of great PS2 titles that could be made into Wii version for quick profit?

3. They can still go with P2 and P4 to portables before they have to take care of P5 there. Also the series is well known IP risk of tanking in HD market is minimal

What you suggest is short sighted quick profit way with using one allmost dead platform (PS2) , one platform that will be soon replaced and is heavily plagued by piracy (PSP) and one platform with questionable ability to sell serious jrpg.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

This thread will be one big owned to the Nintenedo/Wii defense force if the game ends up being on the PS3.

Hero_time88 said:
This thread will be one big owned to the Nintenedo/Wii defense force if the game ends up being on the PS3.

Are we in the same thread?  I can't remember one person actually thinking it would be on the Wii... or even DS.

Most people seem to agree with my PSP guess.  Which isn't a Nintendo platform.

Zlejedi said:

The Wii has healthy sales in all markets, thus it can potentially sell Persona 5 in all three. You're not getting the point though. Putting the game on the PS3 limits it to the PS3. It'll be the only platform to have it, or maybe it'll be shared with the 360 for an extra bit of sales. Putting it on the Wii/PSP/PS2 gives it the following advantages:

1. Reusing assets from previous Personas and having lower development costs going in than an HD Persona would have.

2. It would be featured on the two platforms Persona has been known for the last 5 years, the PSP and PS2. The Wii is merely added in because of the ease to port between PS2, PSP and the Wii. 

3. It opens it up to both the handheld and console market, and it allows the series to grow into a new platform from this generation without much risk of tanking or having to rework the game to accommodate more expensive art, as the PSP and PS2 can ease it by showing strong sales in their own markets that they flourish in.

So this option gives the series security, allows for a less expensive title to be produced even while on three platforms, and opens it up to a new audience. I'm not saying this is what Atlus will do, but it would be the smartest choice they could make.

1. Creating PS3 version would give them assets to use for multiple games on HD platforms decreasing cost of development in the future. And noone sane expects Atlus to push graphics to the edge with 20+ milion budget game.

2. Huge number of PSP/X360/PS3 titles done recently suggests porting from ps3 to psp is also easy. And if porting from PS2 to Wii was so effortless then where are those dozens of great PS2 titles that could be made into Wii version for quick profit?

3. They can still go with P2 and P4 to portables before they have to take care of P5 there. Also the series is well known IP risk of tanking in HD market is minimal

What you suggest is short sighted quick profit way with using one allmost dead platform (PS2) , one platform that will be soon replaced and is heavily plagued by piracy (PSP) and one platform with questionable ability to sell serious jrpg.

1) What other games?  If they're SMT games they'll need a LOT more assets.  If they're ARPG games like Nocturne... they'll need completly different assets.  Also, considering 15 Million is what you pay for an average game... that's already pretty costly.

2) You are seriously suggesting that PS3 to PSP is easier then PS2 to Wii?  There actually are a decent number of PS2/Wii and PSP/Wii multiplat games.  Power Pros, Monster Lab, Death JR... plenty of games like that.  Not that I see the Wii port as likely, but PS2/Wii/PSP ports are a HELL of a lot easier then PS3/360/PSP ports.

3) Tell that to Disgaea, which did like half it's sales from last generation.  Or the Dynasty Warrior games that are down everywhere.  There is plenty of risk involved with the PS3.  Persona is a well known IP, HOWEVER, like those two it's a VERY insular game.  You need to make sure your audience is already there, or if it isn't... that the platform is cheap enough for them to get to. 

Hell, why else was Persona 4 on PS2?  They started work on P4 long after everyone else had alreay given up and moved to the next generation.  PSP just makes the most sense.  That's the thing... they could keep releasing Persona games on the PS2... and the Persona core would still buy them.

Putting it on PS3 is a big risk if that's what they are doing.

Around the Network

Wait, since when is Nocturne an ARPG?

alekth said:
Wait, since when is Nocturne an ARPG?

Had it backwords in my head.  Meant the Devil Summoners games.

Ah ok.. I was a bit confused at the earlier Nocturne comment as well.

Still, hopefully Atlus will finally make the jump to this gen's home consoles. Japane being obsessed with handhelds and buying a lot of games for them is certainly a disadvantage for that :/ But from some Japanese boards I went through, there's a decent amount of people who hope it's on the PS3.
... only time will tell (and I don't think it will be that long before we know).

Kasz216 said:

Everyone seems to assume Persona 5 will be on PS3.

However I think it will be on PSP.  There are 4 main reasons I think so.

1) PSP's Userbase in Japan.

2) Persona Portables.  They've sold well.  Really well considering they are old ports.  Persona 3 PSP seems to have matched Persona 3's PS2 sales in Japan.

3) Persona games don't sell that much anyway.  Doesn't seem smart to put an HD budget behind the project when you consider just how many demons you need to render.

4) Shin Megami Tensei PS3.  It never came out.  It was announced pretty much at launch as being worked on.  I'd expect them to finish that before they made any Persona or any other Shin Megami plans on PS3.

Either PSP or X360/PS3 is my guess. I know they are working on X360/PS3 based on job listings about a year ago that were posted. I would not be susrprised if this is what they are workign on. It might be a completely different project altogether though.

How our favorite systems are just like humans and sometimes have issues finding their special someone...

Xbox 360 wants to KinectPS3 wants to Move!  Why are both systems having such relationship problems?  The reason is they both become so infactuated with desire while watching the Wii as it waggles on by. They simply want what they can't have.

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

jarrod said:
johnappseed84 said:
jarrod said:
johnappseed84 said:
Another reason that it would most likely be on PS3 is because inal Fantasy XIII sold roughly twice as well as MH3 in Japan.

Apples and oranges.  DQX is going to sell roughly double what FFXIII did in Japan as well.

DQX has always been a more family friendly type series than Final Fantasy, so it should be expected that it will sell more on Wii.  However, no Persona game has ever had the type of sales that MH3, DQ, or FF have had.  Also, Persona is more of a mature audience type of game than DQ. Mature audience games like FF, MGS 4, the Yakuza series, Valkyria Chronicles, have shown that they can sell in the same type of numbers on PS3 that Persona has sold in the past on Playstation consoles.

Almost all of the mature audience games on Wii have sold less than the ones on PS3. 

Well, it's interesting you say that given MH3 outsold every game you just mentioned besides FFXIII.  Other games on Wii that sold in the range of the titles you mentioned include Monster Hunter G, Resident Evil UC, Samurai Warriors 3, Twilight Princess, Fire Emblem, Tales of Symphonia/Graces... again, I'm not exactly seeing an issue for audience here?

I'd also argue that Dragon Quest, being a series two decades old and deeply rooted in nostalgia and timeless themes, likely has an older average audience than Persona actually. It's inclusive, while Persona's more niche, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a sizable mature audience.  And really, Persona's even been reinventing itself to appeal to more shonen audience starting with P3, unlike the more obtuse and dark dungeon crawling Megatens of yesteryear... and coincidentally, it's on DS, arguably the most youth focused platform this gen, that we've seen SMT draw backwards towards the older, more hardcore style too.

Oh, I was only trying to mention games on PS3 that sold comparable to how past Persona games have sold to show that the PS3 by itself is quite capable of selling games in the numbers that most Persona games have sold. If they're thinking of trying to expand the market by a lot, then PS3 (or PS3 and 360) would probably also be the best choice as the best-selling T and M titles on PS3 like Uncharted, Heavy Rain, Killzone, FFXIII, MGS 4, GTA4, God of War 3 have all sold many times what the best selling T and M titles on Wii have sold. I really don't think that after the critical and maybe commercial success that most of the more recent Persona games have had that most Persona fans want the next home console version to go back to being the same type of game as the DS ones, but are looking for the next ones to be like the PS2 versions but with prettier graphics, etc.