By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Do you fell the 360 is the closest to the ps2 this gen?

Do you fell the 360 is the closest to the ps2 this gen?

Yes 78 22.74%

No 207 60.35%

Maybe 16 4.66%

I dont know 5 1.46%

Can you repeat the question? 24 7.00%

Your not the boss of me n... 13 3.79%

Total:343
Carl2291 said:
jesus kung fu magic said:
Carl2291 said:

To be clear , the J man is talking about what each console brought to the table so no "PS3 is closest to the PS2 because sony made it"

Similarities:

1 year head start - True, although you could say the Dreamcast was the console with the headstart ...Persoanlly I like to forget about the dreamcast.

Failure Rate - Was the PS2's failure rate 30%? Not sure on this... I dont remember the specific number but it was high and the DRE is akin to the RRoD of this gen.

More third party exclusives than the rest - Not true. Wii owns this spot.   I realize this now......but you have to admit that most of them are forgettable.

More AAA exclusives than the rest (based on metacritics) - Again, not true. PS3 owns this one.... I just had this discussion with Leo and no matter what the 360 always came out on top

Less features than the competition - Arguable that the Wii owns again.  I guess

External Memory Card/HDD - Wii also has memory cards, doesn't it? Not too sure on this point   The wii uses SD cards

Differences:

PS2 was the weakest of its gen technically while the 360 isnt - True

PS2 was a god compared to the 360 in both First party/Third Party exclusives - Damn true

Online play was not a big selling feature of the PS2 while with the 360 is. - True

My thoughts.

My thoughts

Well... Can you tell me how the 360 came out on top with AAA (I'm assuming you mean 90+ rated) exclusives?

Meta exclusives...PS3:8 360:9  Gamerankings..... PS3:6 360:7

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

Around the Network

As long as Microsoft doesn't have SONY's gamer catering 1st/2nd party developers and franchises and SONY's 1st/2nd party developers start and continue to falter to cater to gamers, the 360 will not be this gen's PS2.  If anything the Wii/PS3 combo is the closest to last gen's PS2.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Carl2291 said:
Carl2291 said:

To be clear , the J man is talking about what each console brought to the table so no "PS3 is closest to the PS2 because sony made it"

Similarities:

1 year head start - True, although you could say the Dreamcast was the console with the headstart ...Persoanlly I like to forget about the dreamcast.

Failure Rate - Was the PS2's failure rate 30%? Not sure on this... I dont remember the specific number but it was high and the DRE is akin to the RRoD of this gen.

More third party exclusives than the rest - Not true. Wii owns this spot.   I realize this now......but you have to admit that most of them are forgettable.

More AAA exclusives than the rest (based on metacritics) - Again, not true. PS3 owns this one.... I just had this discussion with Leo and no matter what the 360 always came out on top

External Memory Card/HDD - Wii also has memory cards, doesn't it? Not too sure on this point   The wii uses SD cards

Differences:

PS2 was a god compared to the 360 in both First party/Third Party exclusives - Damn true

Online play was not a big selling feature of the PS2 while with the 360 is. - True

My thoughts.

My thoughts

Well... Can you tell me how the 360 came out on top with AAA (I'm assuming you mean 90+ rated) exclusives?

I count on Meta...

PS3: 6 - Uncharted 2, LBP, MGS4, God of War 3, GoW Collection (although debatable), Killzone 2
360: 5 - Halo 3, Gears 2, Forza 3, Geometry Wars 2, Forza 2

The PS2 is still active, stop talking about as if its dead! How dare you!

Carl2291 said:
Carl2291 said:
Carl2291 said:

Similarities:

Differences:

My thoughts.

My thoughts

I count on Meta...

PS3: 6 - Uncharted 2, LBP, MGS4, God of War 3, GoW Collection (although debatable), Killzone 2

On meta:

360: GOW1 and 2, ME 1 and 2 , Halo 3 , Forza 2 and 3 , Portal:Still Alive (counted if you count the GOW collection) , Geometry Wars 2  =9

PS3 :Uncharted 2, LBP, MGS4, God of War 3, GoW Collection, Killzone 2 , MLB 09/10  = 8

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Carl2291 said:
Carl2291 said:

Similarities:

Differences:

My thoughts.

My thoughts

I count on Meta...

On meta:

360: GOW1 and 2, ME 1 and 2 , Halo 3 , Forza 2 and 3 , Portal:Still Alive (counted if you count the GOW collection) , Geometry Wars 2  =9

PS3 :Uncharted 2, LBP, MGS4, God of War 3, GoW Collection, Killzone 2 , MLB 09/10  = 8

I see. I didn't count PC and PS2 games on my list.

Carl2291 said:
Carl2291 said:
Carl2291 said:
Carl2291 said:

Similarities:

Differences:

My thoughts.

My thoughts

I count on Meta...

On meta:

Ignoring the 90+ criteria for a moment.....the 360 seems to hold a dominance over the 80+ criteria.....360:197 PS3:157.......the 360 has more higher rated games than the ps3 or wii.

Carl2291 said:
Carl2291 said:
Carl2291 said:
Carl2291 said:

Similarities:

Differences:

My thoughts.

My thoughts

I count on Meta...

On meta:

Ignoring the 90+ criteria for a moment.....the 360 seems to hold a dominance over the 80+ criteria.....360:197 PS3:157.......the 360 has more higher rated games than the ps3 or wii.

True. Mainly due to the year headstart.

Carl2291 said:
Carl2291 said:
Carl2291 said:
Carl2291 said:
Carl2291 said:

Similarities:

Differences:

My thoughts.

My thoughts

I count on Meta...

On meta:

True. Mainly due to the year headstart.

Thats true but at the end of the day , higher rated games are higher rated games and nothing takes away from them.

selnor said:
Oh yes absolutely.

Thats why last gen I owned and loved the PS2, and why this gen I own and love the 360.

The 360 has more games that are better across a wider variety of genres. It gets most games first as well. Very rare to see PS3 to get games first. ( The wii to me is not a gamers console. Sorry, but Ive played many Wii games and boredom comes to mind. ).

Whether it be RPG's, JRPG's or especially Racing games. 360 has the biggest and more pleasing library. It also looks set to take the physoclogical/horror genre as well. TPS is in the bag as is FPS. The 360 really is the place to be as a gamer.

LOL woooow guess your not really a gamer then gosh that whole 1 semi exclusive you had all year woooow (mass effedct 2 as well on pc), dude you spout so much garbage, real gamers have, PC and PS3 first then buy a 360 later for the very very small amount of pure exclusive material

by far ps3 has the more robust , dynamic and better visually pleasing pure exclusives , it has more exclusives this gen (psn and hardcopy) put together than all the other consoles.  i wouldnt say it has more games than the pc as the pc has unlimited amount of dedicated content.

just looks what ps3 has released just this year and last year they had even more exclusives

MAG, white knight, yakuza 3 and 4, god of war 3, heavy rain , hustle kings, sam and max , blue toad mystery , the show 2010..

dude huge diverse lineup already dont spout silly 360 non sense, last year was the same thing with ps3 it was game after game