By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - RUMOR: Retro making a Starfox for the Wii, Wii HDD, and Animal Crossing Wii

Regardless is it's by Retro or not, a real successor to Starfox 64 (like SMG was to SM64) would be great! Now S64 introduced rumble or at least included the rumble pack, so a true successor should have a headset or something even better included.

Animal Crossing MMO rumour is nothing new and makes perfect sense. Should be huge especially in Japan and Europe. But where is the Pokemon MMO?! Come on Nintendo, that would be amazing!! The pokemon world is ideal for a MMO.

Around the Network

I want a Star Fox game for the Wii right nao!!!

Star Fox coming to Wii: No doubt
Retro working on a new game: Fact

==> It's fun to make the connection, hence the rumors. There hasn't been an in-house Star Fox game on the home console since Starfox 64 (AKA Lylat Wars) on the N64. Star Fox Assault (Namco), Star Fox Adventures (Rare) were both developped by other developpers.

My guess is that Namco will do the next Star Fox game again and Retro will surprise us with a new IP. Hopefully the other part of the Star Fox rumours is also true, to keep Fox where he belongs: inside his Arwing.

And yeah to the Wii HDD. Hopefully they will just release a firmware update that allow us to use any external HDD. But considering Nintendo's anti piracy stance they will probably release their own piracy free HDD add-on.

Animal Crossing MMO will be Nintendo's answer to PS3's Home. It's gonna rock!

thetonestarr said:
In other news, here's my thoughts on this.

Next summer, Nintendo will release a new Wii. This Wii will have DVD-playability and a built-in 10GB HDD.

Meanwhile, they will release a firmware update that allows "normal" Wii systems to use USB HDDs. The 10GB Wii will also be able to use USB HDDs.

They will redo their entire packaging scheme. The "normal" Wii will come with Wii Sports, Wii Fit, 1 Wii remote, 1 Nunchuck, and 1 Balance Board, selling for $230 ($229.99). The "Upgraded" Wii will contain Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Wii Play, 2 Wii remotes, 2 Nunchucks, 1 Balance Board, 1 10GB HDD, and DVD playability. It will sell for $350 ($349.99).

DVD-playability in 2008, sure. Can't it be done with just a software update though? I've seen some conflicting stories about this.

As for a built in HDD, I don't think so. Not if you mean a regular HDD. Adds noise, heat and draws power, won't work with the image Nintendo has been pitching for the Wii. But an update that enables USB HDD support is likely.

About your packing ideas, I don't think they're realistic at all and would be a very bad business move. Wii Fit won't ever be a mandatory bundle and there won't be any significant price cuts in 2008. Demand will stay high with big software titles, so why should they drop the price? Altruistic (sp?) motives?

And for best results Nintendo should do it themself! Retro is probably the best option. If not Hal Laboratories maybe. After seeing Fox and his stage in SSBB they can certainly pull it off.

Around the Network

@ stranne: Nintendo always wanted to release a special edition Wii with DVD-playback. Since they can't meet demands with the regular Wii's chances are we will not see a DVD-playing enabled Wii anytime soon.

About piracy, couldn't they just store 99% of the game on the HDD and just some kind of loader on the disc?

Joemanji said:
@ stranne: Nintendo always wanted to release a special edition Wii with DVD-playback. Since they can't meet demands with the regular Wii's chances are we will not see a DVD-playing enabled Wii anytime soon.

But are you sure the hardware really needs to be modified? Isn't it just about firmware and licensing?

thetonestarr said:
In other news, here's my thoughts on this.

Next summer, Nintendo will release a new Wii. This Wii will have DVD-playability and a built-in 10GB HDD.

Meanwhile, they will release a firmware update that allows "normal" Wii systems to use USB HDDs. The 10GB Wii will also be able to use USB HDDs.

They will redo their entire packaging scheme. The "normal" Wii will come with Wii Sports, Wii Fit, 1 Wii remote, 1 Nunchuck, and 1 Balance Board, selling for $230 ($229.99). The "Upgraded" Wii will contain Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Wii Play, 2 Wii remotes, 2 Nunchucks, 1 Balance Board, 1 10GB HDD, and DVD playability. It will sell for $350 ($349.99).

Retro seems like the most viable contender for making the StarFox game. Being one of Nintendo's most skilled sci-fi developers, they ought to be the ones working with the classic franchises like Metroid and StarFox. They announced that they are taking a break from Samus, so they definitely have to be working on something else. I expect they have two projects under way - a new IP (I'm going to say it'll be a dual-release DS and Wii game with connectivity), and StarFox Wii.

Animal Crossing Wii is old-news, but I recall reading something about Nintendo claiming there will be no MMOs released by Nintendo for the Wii?

Unrealistic:  What are you smoking?  You think they'd drop the price of a console that is selling as fast as it can (Stateside).  Maybe in Japan they may lower it or bundle something but it's selling good in America...  Why mess up a good thing.  Packing in an eighty dollar peripheral, a seventy dollar remote (Wii mote + Nunchuk) a Hard Drive and DVD drive for only an extra $100 is not only a bad business move, but is highly unrealistic

Realistically:  Wii Hard drive (No more than twenty gigs, not that much stuff to download, plus want to keep only SD card owners happy) external, Animal Crossing MMO (Animal Crossing DS sold astoundingly well), Packing in Wii Play is a no-brainer since there are so many Wii's out there, before, it was a way to sell a game with a Wiimote when they weren't in stock.  Wii Fit will not get packed in for that price but down the line, if it blows up, I imagine that it would get bundled in before the end of the lifecycle.

Probably:  Nintendo is well known for not following trends but setting them.  They may never do a Hard Drive or a DVD drive.  Like on the GC which had the most gimped online out of the three, they may announce and release a Hard Drive at an unrealistic price (read:  Microsoft) or not really support it, or not produce a lot.  Anyone ever find the LAN adapter for the GC?  Doing a DVD drive for the Wii is realistic, and would help but remember, this is Nintendo we're talking about, they may never use DVD's because of piracy. 

My Conclusion:  We will see a Wii Hard Drive, altough it may not be very well supported, we probably won't see a DVD player inclusion, because of piracy, and especially because of the next-gen dvd wars, Wii fit will not get bundled for the time being, Animal Crossing will be an MMO, and Starfox will be like on the N64 much like SMG is to SM64.

given a hard disk drive and a new Wii with say a 4Gb/8Gb flash memory...

i'd much rather sell my current Wii and buy a new one. i hate peripherals so much. i hope Ninty just decides to release a Wii with a bigger hard drive (in anticipation of bigger WiiWare titles).

i'd gladly pay $400 for a Wii with a 8Gb flash memory instead of an extra say $40 for a 20Gb external hard drive. i absolutely HATE HATE HATE extra peripherals!!!!!

the Wii is an epidemic.