By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - RUMOR: Retro making a Starfox for the Wii, Wii HDD, and Animal Crossing Wii

Clearly, you've not been around for much discussion around here.

This is going to be next summer, and they DO need to motivate greater sales eventually. By that time, they'll be into much higher levels of production, and the Wii won't have the luster that it's been enjoying so far to casual gamers. Additionally, the cost of the technology will be much, much cheaper by then. It's already dropped considerably. At launch, the Wii was making Nintendo $47 per console sold. Imagine what it's making now. Come the summer slow-season, much fewer people will be getting motivated to buy a Wii. Drop the price and add more goodies, and you'll motivate all sorts of people to spend money when they normally wouldn't be. With the dropped cost of the technology, I'll wager that they'll still be making about $55-60 per console sold at that price.

Meanwhile, the technology in the PS3 and the 360 is also dropping in cost. Considering that Sony and Microsoft both have been combating who can drop their console's price more, I expect there will be another price drop for both of them for the summer drought season. This will put both of them into threatening distance with the Wii, putting them into mass-market affordability, and Nintendo has to address that. Since they'll still be able to afford all sorts of neat changes to their SKU (with cheaper techs), it'd make logical sense for them to drop their price a few bucks and throw in some better tech.

Remember the DS? Nintendo released the enormously better DS Lite (which was more expensive to manufacture) and dropped the price. And it began selling like hotcakes. Granted, they were doing that for slightly different reasons, but it still had to do with competition moving in on their grounds. Moving through next year, there will be no more hardware shortages unless Nintendo motivates people to buy more. Production will likely move up to 2.5m per month at least. Gotta do something to increase demand.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network

I don't see demand dropping to the point that would necessitate them throwing in an 80 dollar peripheral, but I suppose time will tell

This is just some random, unproven schlep on a blog. Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true, guys.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

bdbdbd said:
It would be awesome if they would make a Lylat Wars -type of game. But wasn't there a rumor Retro Studios working on Kid Icarus already? If both are true, KI should be ready at Q1 2008.
Nothing bad with HDD and MMO would propably be good for Wii sales. Though, i'm not interested in the MMO.

MMO AC and HDD reminded me about the chinese market, MMO:s sell good in China, and if you want to make money in China, you need downloadable content.

@Leo-j: What are you talking about? What does Hard Disc Drive have to do with high-definion graphics?

The rumors pretty much always involve Retro working on every Nintendo franchise that hasn't been updated yet: Star Fox, Kid Icarus, Punch-Out, Balloon Fight, Ice Climbers, you name it and they're apparently working on it...when it's most likely they're not working on anything but a new IP.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

APolitical said:
I don't see demand dropping to the point that would necessitate them throwing in an 80 dollar peripheral, but I suppose time will tell

I don't, either.

But Wii Fit isn't an eighty-dollar peripheral. Wii Fit is retail-priced at $80, but it likely costs Nintendo no more than $40 to make.

@Garcian: We've already established that, but thanks for the input. 

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Garcian Smith said:
This is just some random, unproven schlep on a blog. Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true, guys.

That's why it's a RUMOR.

Except rumors are only as plausible as the sources they come from. =P   This guy isn't credible enough to even be spoken of in the first place... unless it turns out in hindsight that he was speaking the truth.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

He's got a point.

However, these are rumours that've pretty much been circulating for months upon months. Either that, or things people have been saying should be happening for a while. So it may have a little bit of plausibility to it...

It's harmless discussion, fellas.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Hoping the Retro Starfox one is true. Retro is defiantly a great developer and would probably bring it back to 64 glory.

Oh hell yes. Retro + Starfox would be very nice.
General USB HDD support would be very cool also.

Did Starfox on the DS do well? I imagine if that hadn't done well, I wouldn't expxect much from this game in terms of sales but the hard drive will have to be necessary once bigger games come out on the Wiiware channel.