By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii is now up YoY in every region. Significant?

I would say it's probably not significant yet, and it may have more to do with world wide economic recovery than software. Later this year, however, I think software will begin to boost the Wii quite a bit -- it will have a better 2010 than 2009 in terms of overall sales, but it almost certainly won't touch 2008's numbers.

Around the Network
Arius Dion said:
Very significant in that many of the doom predicters have only had the yoy % argument in their favor, now no longer. I expect it to remain this way until the holidays most notably December..I mean come on..it sold about as much in 1 month than PS3 sold in the entire year, that's just insane. But other than that it should be up..I also feel it will have another 20m+ year.

I think you could be right my friend, Wii could easily top GBA sales around Fall, and Nintendo will ship no less than 85M by years end. With all the hot titles out this year Nintendo are in for a ride.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

killeryoshis said:
leo-j said:
Not really considering the fact the wii had a price cut

What do you mean by that. All consoles have price cuts -_-

More or less he spent the better half of my stay here at VGC talking about how significant a price cut would be for the PS3, and it obviously was, since it's now up YoY, but price cut negates the significance of Wii up YoY lol.

Sorry leo, you know we all love you, but you were pretty vocal on that and if you set that standard once you should probably stick to it even if it's for a console you might not cheer for lol

As for the topic, I agree NSMB Wii has done a lot, also last year was better for the core gamers getting some of their 3rd party software compared to 2008, but it was a drop off in those Nintendo must haves that sells the console, and after the Wii topped its biggest week ever (as well as the PS2's something that will be hard to top this year) this holiday, as well as having NSMB Wii hit 10 million faster on a single console than any other game in history speaks volumes as to why the Wii would be up right now, if Nintendo can keep up with the software it could mean a new upswing I say, plus you have some must haves from third parties as well, and a big E3 coming up, things could heat up.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Um why would it be weird for the wii to be up YTD considering the fact last year at this time period it was $249, while this year it is $199..

clearly you guys didn't see the meaning of my post

mM

the wii is down YoY so far overall actually.  I'm guessing you mean YoY for the week?  I wouldn't put too much faith in that number just yet simply because the wii has been supply contrainst in the early part of the year and just starting to meet stock levels lately.  it will be best to make such a comparision once stock isssues are non-existant.

And anyways, the wii just got a price cut.  it would be quite sad indeed if it wasn't up YoY now wouldn't it?  The ps3 is up something like 25% or so due to its price cut and the wii is still down.  Again, hold off judgements until after stock issues are completely gone.  However, I still maintain that looking at current performance and knowing how huge the shoulder is from the price cut last year the wii will end the year down YoY.

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 03rd Jan 2010 to 27th Mar 2010:

Console Wii
Total
America
Japan
Total Others

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 04th Jan 2009 to 28th Mar 2009:

Console Wii
Total
America
Japan
Total Others

Around the Network
leo-j said:
Um why would it be weird for the wii to be up YTD considering the fact last year at this time period it was $249, while this year it is $199..

The suggestion is that it doesn't have as much to do with that as you would think.

TheBigFatJ said:
I would say it's probably not significant yet, and it may have more to do with world wide economic recovery than software. Later this year, however, I think software will begin to boost the Wii quite a bit -- it will have a better 2010 than 2009 in terms of overall sales, but it almost certainly won't touch 2008's numbers.

Why do people continue to think that 2008 was untouchable? I mean look at these numbers it sold in 2008

23,807,652 link

22,520,863 link

If wii could go a year without new releases and still make it close than it could pass up 2008
People should look up there information more

also I meant late 08 to early 09 as no new relases

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

kitler53 said:

the wii is down YoY so far overall actually.  I'm guessing you mean YoY for the week?  I wouldn't put too much faith in that number just yet simply because the wii has been supply contrainst in the early part of the year and just starting to meet stock levels lately.  it will be best to make such a comparision once stock isssues are non-existant.

And anyways, the wii just got a price cut.  it would be quite sad indeed if it wasn't up YoY now wouldn't it?  The ps3 is up something like 25% or so due to its price cut and the wii is still down.  Again, hold off judgements until after stock issues are completely gone.  However, I still maintain that looking at current performance and knowing how huge the shoulder is from the price cut last year the wii will end the year down YoY.

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 03rd Jan 2010 to 27th Mar 2010:

Console Wii
Total
America
Japan
Total Others

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 04th Jan 2009 to 28th Mar 2009:

Console Wii
Total
America
Japan
Total Others

Yes, of course I'm talking about YoY by the weeks. I said that in the OP (three of the last four weeks are up YoY).

America is the only region where what you said is a concern. Ok, if you want to wait a few weeks and see if it's still up YoY in the US, be my guest.

Only a couple of weeks after Wii got a price cut it was already down YoY. So I don't put much of this down to a price cut. Wii was on the downtrend for a long time, now it's on an up trend. That up trend actually coincides more with NSMB and Just Dance in others than it does with the price cut.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

leo-j said:

We know what you meant...

Why don't you respond to my point? Wii was down YoY shortly after the price cut. It was down YoY in the others region again in February, yet up now. If the price cut was the major factor, how do you explain these facts?

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Software has always been a stronger pusher of hardware than price.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.