By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Heavenly Sword sold about 1.5m but devs didn't break even

they think they need a bigger market base. Easy. There are 30m ps3s now compared to 5m.

Around the Network

Developers need to stop making super high budget games and just make "Good" ones.

came out far to early, was very expensive to make

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Hmm, interesting how he said that Sony broke even, but Ninja Theory didn't. Sounds like they got a pretty terrible contract.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

darthdevidem01 said:
jarrod said:
leo-j said:
that's really sad..

the game is 5 hours, and the budget was higher than MGS4s potentially.

Very sad

Eh, more than twice as many people worked on MGS4, and it was in development twice as long... pretty sure it's budget likely dwarfed Heavenly Sword's.

The MGS4 devs said they need to sell 1 million on day 1 to break even....they did that.

Ofcourse Heavenly Sword sold over 1 million over a looooong period of time.

Sure... but that doesn't mean MGS4 was lower budget than Heavenly Sword.  It just means Konami had different variables and likely accounting.  I'm guessing Sony forked over a bit to keep exclusivity too...

Around the Network

People always say the game was 4 hours long but I must have got at least 6-7 hours as an absolute minimum on my playthrough. Did everyone else play on the easiest difficulty and not die at all?

Its good in some respects that they didn't make money that more people will get to play their games. I actually really enjoyed Heavenly Sword and considered it very underrated.

jarrod said:
leo-j said:
that's really sad..

Very sad

Eh, more than twice as many people worked on MGS4, and it was in development twice as long... pretty sure it's budget likely dwarfed Heavenly Sword's.

probably bad management 1.5 should be enough to break even

Remember reading something similar for that game Crackdown.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Xoj said:
jarrod said:
leo-j said:
that's really sad..

Very sad

probably bad management 1.5 should be enough to break even

It looks like Ninja Theory's also including the scrapped 360 version in with their costs... seems kinda weird imo.

The budget was very high. They got two real actors to voice the parts and act the scene with mocap. They had mocap for facial espressions. They also had a famous person do the soundtrack.

My question to this though is... why the hell did they set the budget that high? I mean I bet the voice and acting from just those two people took a good chunk of the budget. I bet they seriously could have cut the costs in half and still have the game just as enjoyable.