By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Heavenly Sword sold about 1.5m but devs didn't break even

Deviation59 said:
jarrod said:
letsdance said:
jarrod said:
leo-j said:
that's really sad..

the game is 5 hours, and the budget was higher than MGS4s potentially.

Very sad

Eh, more than twice as many people worked on MGS4, and it was in development twice as long... pretty sure it's budget likely dwarfed Heavenly Sword's.

I doubt it. I think Kojima went the more traditional way in developing the MGS4. Ninjatheory was very ambitious in their developing with facial mocap and voicing famous people.

Uh, you know MGS4 used far, far more extensive mocap (including facial capture) than HS, right?  Just check the credits, MGS4's mocap credits alone rival the entire R&D teams for many other games.  MGS4 also had a huge voice cast, extensive CG and the entire network infrastructure R&D for MGO in there.  If you credit check, MGS4 credits almost 400 people!  

And that's just production, we're not even talking about promotional budgets...

Extensive CG? Don't you know that all four of the Metal Gear Solid games eschew traditional CG entirely? Their cinematics are all done in engine and with in-game assets.

Sorry, I just meant cinemas, I know they're done with gameplay assets.  I said CG because that's how the actual credits credit the director, their term, not mine.

Around the Network

I Don't Know Why, but i loved Heavenly Sword, GREAT game! im Surprised a lot of People did Not Like it.  to bad they did not make some profit on it.

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

I hope they didn't expect to sell more then 1.5m copies in 07 being exclusive to Ps3. If you need more then 1.5m copies to break even on a console that had a userbase of less then 10m then thats sad. They shouldn't have had such high budget for the game. It was a fun game but I didn't like the combat system or the horrible sixaxis controls. I returned it after It made me play as Kai.

letsdance said:
Kasz216 said:
letsdance said:
Kasz216 said:
I mean think about it. Why would they bother paying him to motion cap the character if it was going to cost them tons of money. Nobody knows a thing about his face.

They could of literally got anybody to do it. Your taking all of these jobs that are low paying and would be for him, and trying to turn it into millions. It just doesn't work like that I don't know what else to say.

Because he was the director... what part of this do you not understand? It's not like they called him in just for the motion capture. The guy spent months (Maybe a couple years) of his time on this project. He had major roles in its creation. The budget was extremly high. You don't think the guy got paid a good deal of money? I bet the programers made a few million each too.

You... seriously think... the programmers made a few million each.

I think we can properly end this conversation now.  Because I realize it's not so much an arguement of amount, but an argument of scale.

I'm just going to take a step back, and float these ideas out to someone who works in the videogame industry.

Well, probablly not since they didn't get a bonus from the game since they didn't make a profit but each developer probablly made around 500k for the 4 years they worked on it.

Viper1 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Viper1 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Gojimaster said:
i bet these kind of stories are very common on hd systems, and we don't hear about half of them-- that is crazy a game can sell 1.5 mill and make a profit

I think these stories are common on the Wii as well. That would explain why developers often ignore the Wii for quality releases.

To my knowledge only 1 developer has lost money on Wii to the point it required them to shut down.  There are several such cases on the HD side of things.

Average break even point for a Wii title is ~300k units.  Average break even point for an HD title is over 1 million units. 

Don't forget that publishers typically fund the development from the start.  A lot of these studios that went under started the projects with their own money and then pitched them to publishers and failed to generate enough revenue to recoup their initial development costs.  Ninja Theory is alsow one of those developers who began the project prior to the publisher (Sony) getting involved.

That's because HD consoles tend to games of a higher caliber. The typical HD game is much higher quality than the typical Wii game.

Its not hard to believe the average Wii game only need to sell 300K, because the average Wii game is low budget or shovelware. I'm sure games like Dead Space Extraction, CoD, Dead Rising, No More Heroes, Conduit, and Resident Evil need to sell more than 300K.

Dead Rising, No More Heroes, the CoD's, The Conduit and the RE games made profit according to their publishers.   I think DS: Extraction is the only one that's still working toward it.

Development time, staff volume and other factors are what determine production costs.  Even the bigger Wii titles do not requie the same number of programmers, artists, etc...or the same volume of development time as the average HD title does.

I didn't say they bombed. I'm just saying they probably needed to sell more than the typical Wii game. But frankly, they are still low quality and budget titles compared to the typical HD game.

You say the bigger Wii titles don't require the same number of staff (i.e. money). But where are the Wii games that are at par with Gears of War, Uncharted, Mass Effect, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Halo, Killzone, Assassin's Creed, etc. Graphics aside, not as much effort is put into 3rd party Wii games. Look at the last gen, PS2 and Xbox 3rd party games had a lot more effort put into them as well so its not just a matter of graphics.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Oh got what a tunnelquoting in this thread X_X.

Ouch ....

Who's the best Pac, Nas, and Big. Just leave it to that.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Slaughterhouse Is The Sh*t  .... NOW ........ B_E_L_I_E_V_E

So guys... who know everything. Where did the money go?

Ninja Theory was a team of 23 in '04. They ended up with a 6 hour game. The cost is probablly close to double Uncharted's budget... so... your telling me voicing only cost a couple grand... the length is well below average... everything else is decent... yet it has a massive budget. I guess managent is putting their coke and prostitutes under the development cost eh?

I'm sorry. I stand by the voicing for this game has taken up more than its fair share of the budget. Its the only thing different than other games yet has a higher cost.

letsdance said:

Ninja Theory was a team of 23 in '04. They ended up with a 6 hour game. The cost is probablly close to double Uncharted's budget... so... your telling me voicing only cost a couple grand... the length is well below average... everything else is decent... yet it has a massive budget. I guess managent is putting their coke and prostitutes under the development cost eh?

I'm sorry. I stand by the voicing for this game has taken up more than its fair share of the budget. Its the only thing different than other games yet has a higher cost.

Viper and Twesterm actually work in the games Industry.  You know this right?  The Lol was just in direct response to your "The developers probably made a couple million each." if you didn't know.

You can maintain your position, but at this point... unless the actual people from Ninja Theory back you up.  Your on shakey ground.

Kasz216 said:
letsdance said:

Viper and Twesterm actually work in the games Industry.  You know this right?  The Lol was just in direct response to your "The developers probably made a couple million each." if you didn't know.

You can maintain your position, but at this point... unless the actual people from Ninja Theory back you up.  Your on shakey ground.

Shaky ground? I'm sorry... 30 - 40 million is way too much for even 23 people doing coke for 3 years, They had to spend it on something else. And youre using twest as a expert opinion? Tell me when he works on a game with the budget of HS.