By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Team Ninja on the small PS3 install base

paolo90 said:

Wrong analogy...

The Wii v.s. the Xbox 360/PS3, on the other hand is different. Most of the games in PS3 and Xbox 360 have waaay better graphics than the Wii, of course, but, those graphics can be easily downgraded to the Wii.

Unlike the N64 -> GBA comparison, the GBA doesn't have real 3D capabilities AT ALL, making it incapable of most 3D gameplay, whereas the Wii can do most, if not all, of 3D gameplay the Xbox 360 and PS3 can, although the 3D graphics will be watered down. Textures can be down-sized, the poly-count can be lowered, and the lighting can be made less intense - with the gameplay intact.

My point is, as there may be some games that CANNOT be ported to the Wii from the Xbox 360/PS3 (this is rare), most of the games can be ported with gameplay intact, although it is harder than porting from Xbox 360 to PS3. As much as the Wii is weak, its gap from the 360 is not as large as the gap between N64/GC and GBA.

The question though, is if the developers are up to it :).

Why is it assumed that the "graphics" can be just dropped for the Wii? I assume the toughest part wouldn't be the art and assets it might be the engine. And I highly doubt that the engines can just be downgraded easily without that purpose in mind to begin with.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

Around the Network
staticneuron said:
paolo90 said:

Wrong analogy...

The Wii v.s. the Xbox 360/PS3, on the other hand is different. Most of the games in PS3 and Xbox 360 have waaay better graphics than the Wii, of course, but, those graphics can be easily downgraded to the Wii.

Unlike the N64 -> GBA comparison, the GBA doesn't have real 3D capabilities AT ALL, making it incapable of most 3D gameplay, whereas the Wii can do most, if not all, of 3D gameplay the Xbox 360 and PS3 can, although the 3D graphics will be watered down. Textures can be down-sized, the poly-count can be lowered, and the lighting can be made less intense - with the gameplay intact.

My point is, as there may be some games that CANNOT be ported to the Wii from the Xbox 360/PS3 (this is rare), most of the games can be ported with gameplay intact, although it is harder than porting from Xbox 360 to PS3. As much as the Wii is weak, its gap from the 360 is not as large as the gap between N64/GC and GBA.

Why is it assumed that the "graphics" can be just dropped for the Wii? I assume the toughest part wouldn't be the art and assets it might be the engine. And I highly doubt that the engines can just be downgraded easily without that purpose in mind to begin with.

It all depends on the strategy used to produce the game ...

In reality I expect that the majority of publishers will be developing multiplatform games for the PS2, Wii, XBox 360 and PS3 the next two years; essentially producing a game for the PS2 and improving the graphics for the other versions. I'm not talking about every game, but games like Spiderman 3 (I don't know about tat game in particular) will likely be using that approach.

Essentially, it would be impossible (or atleast complicated) to convert a game like Resistence into a PS2 or Wii game but if these platforms were considered from the begining it wouldn't have been that difficult at all (and I suspect the game wouldn't suffer on any of the platforms).

staticneuron said:
paolo90 said:

Wrong analogy...

Try playing games for the PC, those games show that gameplay can be retained with low specifications. Sure, the Wii won't be able to show as much polygons, shadows, and others in the game, but the gameplay will remain. Tell me any game whose gameplay can't be ported to the Wii and I'll shut up. Sure, the process might be tedious as I said, but it is possible, and that's my point.

As for engines, look at the Unreal Engine, it's bery backwards compatible even though it can handle the most up-to-date graphics.

HappySqurriel said:

It all depends on the strategy used to produce the game ...

In reality I expect that the majority of publishers will be developing multiplatform games for the PS2, Wii, XBox 360 and PS3 the next two years; essentially producing a game for the PS2 and improving the graphics for the other versions. I'm not talking about every game, but games like Spiderman 3 (I don't know about tat game in particular) will likely be using that approach.

Essentially, it would be impossible (or atleast complicated) to convert a game like Resistence into a PS2 or Wii game but if these platforms were considered from the begining it wouldn't have been that difficult at all (and I suspect the game wouldn't suffer on any of the platforms).

more llike

Most games will be PC PS3 360 games... and there will be Wii/PS2 games....  yes you are right wii is so weak it cant do anything that the 360/PS3 can.

PS3/360 owners wont buy games with old ass PS2/Xbox physics and small enviroments.

paolo90 said:

Try playing games for the PC, those games show that gameplay can be retained with low specifications. Sure, the Wii won't be able to show as much polygons, shadows, and others in the game, but the gameplay will remain. Tell me any game whose gameplay can't be ported to the Wii and I'll shut up. Sure, the process might be tedious as I said, but it is possible, and that's my point.

As for engines, look at the Unreal Engine, it's bery backwards compatible even though it can handle the most up-to-date graphics.

whats game play to you.... move left or rigt .. jumping of walls interacting with the enviroment ?

wii cant do the physics the other can.

Around the Network

Uhm... then what does Havok 2.0 physics support mean for the Wii, and how does Elebits work?  Last time I checked, it was a fairly heavy physics-based engine.

And btw, I'm a content PS2 owner with 40 games, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna waste that much money on hardware, not to mention that it doesn't have nearly enough games I want. 

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

physics aren't everything...and the Wii can do its fair share anyway.

EDIT:  And if I got a PS3, you can bet I will get lots of PS2 games.  Lots of PS3 users still play PS2 games...get over yourself Hus. 

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I think he meant the Wii can't handle all of the physics that the other 2 can.  Of course the Wii can handle a lot, it's more powerful than a PS2, but to tone down games for the Wii that have been exclusive to 1 or more of the others is to completely change the game.  You could not have as much on the screen, physics different, whole engine redone.  And if a game takes advantage of the more powerful consoles exclusively, then you might have to completely redo a level or the entire game because of the advantages of, say, the SPEs doing calculations simultaneously.

Face it, guys, games that are for 360 and PS3 will usually not also be on the Wii.  

I also agree with statineuron that the best games are exclusive titles.  Crysis, God of War 1/2, Mario, Wii sports, etc.  Sure, games can be ported to another system, but when a developer commits to one platform and really tries to get everything out of it, the products are generally better.  EA is probably the worst offender because releasing every single sports game every year for every console really waters down their product.  Last year the 360 version of Madden didn't even have all the features that the PS2 and other versions had!  That's just stupid.

BenKenobi88 said:

physics aren't everything...and the Wii can do its fair share anyway.

EDIT: And if I got a PS3, you can bet I will get lots of PS2 games. Lots of PS3 users still play PS2 games...get over yourself Hus.

physic arent everything, graphica arent nything..but a contoller is LOL.

other then God of War2... and FF12 they really dont.

It's the same both ways, Hus.  There will be games that the Wii cannot handle the processor and graphics without significant reductions to the quality of the game.  And on the other hand the Wii will have games where the controls and interface cannot be adequately translated over to the bigger systems as well.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.