By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Star Fox 2 was never released?

I would LOVE to see the original Mother 3 (Earthbound 2) complete; and the first Mother game (Earthbound 0), which was fully translated to English, to finally get an official release.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

There is a Starfox 2 prototype ROM you can play on emulators. It's quite fun, but not as good as the original.

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Old news is old... I knew about this back when the "Nintendo 64" was still called the "Ultra 64!"

Sill, it would be nice if Nintendo were to release "StarFox 2" as a brand new title on WiiWare for just $8... I'd buy it! And besides, who the hell knows when we'll actually get a true update to the series.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

NightDragon83 said:
Old news is old... I knew about this back when the "Nintendo 64" was still called the "Ultra 64!"

Sill, it would be nice if Nintendo were to release "StarFox 2" as a brand new title on WiiWare for just $8... I'd buy it! And besides, who the hell knows when we'll actually get a true update to the series.

May be old news but back in 1995, there weren't a whole lot of people with the internet.

Snesboy said:
NightDragon83 said:

May be old news but back in 1995, there weren't a whole lot of people with the internet.

That's true, but there were quite the number of gaming magazines and publications back in the mid 90's, which was pretty much how everyone got their news back then.  How do you think so many people knew about such huge news items like Square leaving Nintendo and FFVII going to Playstation?  It was all over every gaming mag back then!

Star Fox 2 was covered pretty extensively in most magazines during the summer of '95 not too long after E3, since it was originally planned for a fall release.  But then it was announced that the game had been canned in favor of an eventual Ultra 64/Nintendo 64 sequel.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network
GlingGling said:
Now nobody fly off the handle here but... the game does exist in its complete form for the SNES. A digital backup image of the game was made available to some. I have seen the game played in person but it didn't really blow me away (if you've played Star Fox 64 then Star Fox 2 is basically a history lesson). You can find videos and screenshots on the internet. If you're really clever...

I thought it was reasonably widely available, accessible if you have an SNES emulator?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.