By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The DS and Wii userbase will not make games hits that are not hit material.

kitler53 said:
i'm going to ignore all the crying and get right you the point.

"This was inspired by the thread about GTA Chinatown Wars, but this is broader than that. This is about the supposed notion that userbase is to blame for a game not selling well."

Wrong, it is the user bases fault. nintendo fans have flooded vgchartz lately with threads crying about third parties not bring the kind of games the market leader deserves. "oh noes, the developers are lazy" you say. "they didn't advertise enough" you say. "they aren't bringing their top tier franchises" you say. well too bad, GTA:CW is an amazing game from a great brand that had great advertising and still it failed. the reason: the nintendo userbase doesn't want the GTAs, the No More Heroes, the Red Steels, the muramasas...

Cry all you want but here is the honest truth of the matter. Nintendo is a great developer, no doubt about it. but nintendo makes a certain type of game: family friendly, cartoony, simplistic, with unique user interfaces. the userbase of the wii and the ds were created on the backs of great nintendo hits like nintendogs, new super mario brothers, mario kart, wii fit, wii sports.

now take particular notice to what those games are not like...they're not at all like GTA. but you know who is making games much more similar to GTA? Sony and Microsoft. consumers aren't stupid, consumers that want simple family friendly fair are going to buy wiis, consumers that what complex violent fair are going to buy 360s or ps3.

in the end, nintendo systems don't deserve games like GTA, dead space, assassins creed, ect any more then the ps3 deserves the port of EA active it's getting. the userbase just isn't there.

You might have a point if games like Call of Duty, Red Steel, Starwars the Force Unleashed, Resident Evil, The House of the Dead, and Monster Hunter Tri were not Million Selling games ...

When you compare the number of high quality third party games in established series on the Wii and the HD consoles the reason why third party games don't "Sell Well" on the Wii becomes obvious.

Around the Network

Your opinion of CW does not make it appealing to others. We are not going to buy that game just because you are presenting us a salad and pretending it's the coleslaw we ordered.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

well enjoy just dance and hana montana party babys bratz and stop complaining about not getting the games that are on the hd twins then

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

"stop complaining about not getting the games that are on the hd twins then"

Those games are hit material. You obviously didn't read what I wrote.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Didn't read the thread, eh Chap?

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Around the Network
Gnac said:
Didn't read the thread, eh Chap?

nop it's the interwebs I'am not here to read but to complain

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

I think the main thing with the Wii and DS userbase is just to not treat them differently than the other userbases. Like long time Nintendo users, PS2 userbase, and PS360 userbase, when they buy a system they are looking to buy games. They know they need the software to use the hardware, or they found it out when they bought it. Like most mainstream gamers, decisions are made in store. Only other influencing factors are word of mouth. Meaning, they are going to look for a game that sounds like something they'd enjoy or something they'd find fun.

But let's not take them for idiots. Like the rest of us, sometimes we make bad decisions. In the early case of 2007 and 2008, a lot of them picked up games they found to be like Mario Party or Wii Sports. They enjoyed them and wanted more. Gamers on all consoles do it. You wouldn't know how many times a day I get asked do you have any titles like "Uncharted, Modern Warfare, Halo, Gears, etc". But just like any other customer, they know if they have bought a product they didn't like. For instance, more than likely when Carnival Games or Deca Sports were bought, they were building off the hype from Nintendo quality games in similar genres. Some might have liked the game, but I'm sure there were lots of them disappointed in comparison to the Nintendo games they bought.

These gamers aren't stupid though. They aren't going to buy that brand again. They are going to see Deca Sports 2 and not buy it which is why that game has less than a fourth of the sales of the first or Carnival Games: Mini Golf has a 3rd of the sales. This is what happened on the Wii and DS as you started to see more and more 3rd party offerings start to, well, bomb. They had destroyed their brand earlier in the lifecycles with bad games and that hurt their brand appeal. These gamers stopped buying them and went back to the brands they knew where good, or the Nintendo brands in this case. Or they went by word of mouth games, or the "better" 3rd party offerings.

The thing about mainstream gamers, is they have different tastes than us. They are going to want sports games, hunting games, family games, "active" games, movie based games, etc. But that doesn't mean they don't know a good product from a bad product, especially if they have Nintendo continuously showing them what a good product is. And after they see the bad product once, they aren't going to get fooled a second time. This is one of the main reasons the whole "shovelware" period on the Wii and DS is dying and could be dead by the end of the year. That along with losing in the competition for shelf space.

So I find this to be a good notion that we should really think better of these mainstream gamers on all systems because they are just like us. They want to find a game they will enjoy. They are going to have different tastes, and different opinions of quality, but like us they know the difference between an attempt at a good game and "shovelware" and they showed that for Wii and DS sequels of many of those games. And luckily do to the large amounts of these gamers on consoles, if word of mouth spreads well, they can turn games that might have been medium-sized hits to big successes for the companies (Scribblenauts for example).

If userbase meant instant hits and monster sales, Okami wouldn't have flopped on PS2.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

RolStoppable said:
kitler53 said:
i'm going to ignore all the crying and get right you the point.

"This was inspired by the thread about GTA Chinatown Wars, but this is broader than that. This is about the supposed notion that userbase is to blame for a game not selling well."

Wrong, it is the user bases fault. nintendo fans have flooded vgchartz lately with threads crying about third parties not bring the kind of games the market leader deserves. "oh noes, the developers are lazy" you say. "they didn't advertise enough" you say. "they aren't bringing their top tier franchises" you say. well too bad, GTA:CW is an amazing game from a great brand that had great advertising and still it failed. the reason: the nintendo userbase doesn't want the GTAs, the No More Heroes, the Red Steels, the muramasas...

Cry all you want but here is the honest truth of the matter. Nintendo is a great developer, no doubt about it. but nintendo makes a certain type of game: family friendly, cartoony, simplistic, with unique user interfaces. the userbase of the wii and the ds were created on the backs of great nintendo hits like nintendogs, new super mario brothers, mario kart, wii fit, wii sports.

now take particular notice to what those games are not like...they're not at all like GTA. but you know who is making games much more similar to GTA? Sony and Microsoft. consumers aren't stupid, consumers that want simple family friendly fair are going to buy wiis, consumers that what complex violent fair are going to buy 360s or ps3.

in the end, nintendo systems don't deserve games like GTA, dead space, assassins creed, ect any more then the ps3 deserves the port of EA active it's getting. the userbase just isn't there.

GTA:CW is nowhere the same as the style that made the series popular in the first place, it's not that hard to understand. You might as well wonder why 2D Mario platformers sell so much more than the more critical acclaimed 3D games, but the answer is the same: They are different kinds of games, hence the difference in sales.

No More Heroes is kinda like Killer 7. Didn't sell on the PS2 even though GTA was the top dog on the console.
Red Steel is definitely not a great game. I guess you can compare it to a franchise like Red Faction if you want. Didn't sell spectacularly on the PS2 either.
Muramasa. Well, Odin Sphere. Didn't sell on the PS2 either.

Not that many consumers buy 360s and PS3s due to first party games, that's evidenced by third party games being so present on the million sellers list, even at the top. What that means is that most consumers seem to go where the games are. So if it's made, it should sell. GTA:CW is the best selling top down GTA in the series. Dragon Quest IX is going to be the best selling game of the series. Monster Hunter Tri will easily become the best selling title of the series on a home console. How is that possible if what you say is correct?

Well, the answer is that you are wrong.

no, consumers go to where the games they want to play are.  i mean, i'm guessing you didn't become a wii only owner simply by chance.  i'm sure it's a fair assumption that you didn't toss up a 3 sided coin and just by chance end up with a wii.  you bought it because it has the kinds of games you want to play.  the games each of the big three put out are quite different: sony with an emphisis on cinematic gaming, ms with a focus on online gaming, and nintendo with a focus on motion gaming.  three highly differentiated marketing schemes will result in three hightly differentiated markets.

i mean really, just dance is almost 2.5M units sold and it's selling well over 100K units a week right now.  i'd bet this game ends up well above 5M units LTD.  now are you honestly going to tell me that either the 360 or the ps3 has the userbase to sell this kind of game with even a fraction of that type of success?  that the consumers would have gone to where the games are?  heck no, that's a game that only the wii can make successful.  so why is it so hard to grasp that there are other types of software that will just never have the same kind of success on a nintendo console as it would on a 360 or ps3??

mike_intellivision said:
I think that many Wii owners are smarter than the average gamer -- if not the average bear.

After all, they tend not to buy sequel after sequel.

But the OP is right, a bad game is not going to be a hit just because the market is larger. There might be more sales, but it won't be spectacular.

Mike from Morgantown

I'm not so sure it's that they're necessarily smarter, per se. I think it's more that they haven't had the long period of conditioning by game marketers that longtime gamers have had, and so Wii owners don't tend to respond to the usual marketing gimmicks. Even today's longtime gamers had to be trained to do that, and so people who haven't been through that process aren't going to be wowed by shiny trailers and pretty pictures.

That's part of the problem third parties are having with Wii games: when they bother to market the games at all, they do it the way they'd market to longtime gamers, and the blue ocean just isn't impressed by that sort of thing. Nintendo has it right: to market to the blue ocean, you can't focus on graphics and other technical BS. All you actually have to do is convince them that the game is fun to play, but as simple as that sounds it can actually be quite difficult. Nintendo does it by showing people having fun playing the games, but for that to work you have to make playing the game -not necessarily the game itself, but <i>the act of playing it</i>- look fun. That's tough to do with all but the most well-thought-out motion control schemes, and basically impossible with "traditional" controllers.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.