By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The DS and Wii userbase will not make games hits that are not hit material.

Cry all you want but here is the honest truth of the matter. Nintendo is a great developer, no doubt about it. but nintendo makes a certain type of game: family friendly, cartoony, simplistic, with unique user interfaces. the userbase of the wii and the ds were created on the backs of great nintendo hits like nintendogs, new super mario brothers, mario kart, wii fit, wii sports.

Above quote is so condescending as to be funny. cartooney, simplistic is code for retarted
After playing modern war and nsmbwii the mario game is much harder and inversive then the bloody war game. Simple controls does not mean simple game play.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
kitler53 said:
i'm going to ignore all the crying and get right you the point.

"This was inspired by the thread about GTA Chinatown Wars, but this is broader than that. This is about the supposed notion that userbase is to blame for a game not selling well."

Wrong, it is the user bases fault. nintendo fans have flooded vgchartz lately with threads crying about third parties not bring the kind of games the market leader deserves. "oh noes, the developers are lazy" you say. "they didn't advertise enough" you say. "they aren't bringing their top tier franchises" you say. well too bad, GTA:CW is an amazing game from a great brand that had great advertising and still it failed. the reason: the nintendo userbase doesn't want the GTAs, the No More Heroes, the Red Steels, the muramasas...

Cry all you want but here is the honest truth of the matter. Nintendo is a great developer, no doubt about it. but nintendo makes a certain type of game: family friendly, cartoony, simplistic, with unique user interfaces. the userbase of the wii and the ds were created on the backs of great nintendo hits like nintendogs, new super mario brothers, mario kart, wii fit, wii sports.

now take particular notice to what those games are not like...they're not at all like GTA. but you know who is making games much more similar to GTA? Sony and Microsoft. consumers aren't stupid, consumers that want simple family friendly fair are going to buy wiis, consumers that what complex violent fair are going to buy 360s or ps3.

in the end, nintendo systems don't deserve games like GTA, dead space, assassins creed, ect any more then the ps3 deserves the port of EA active it's getting. the userbase just isn't there.

GTA:CW is nowhere the same as the style that made the series popular in the first place, it's not that hard to understand. You might as well wonder why 2D Mario platformers sell so much more than the more critical acclaimed 3D games, but the answer is the same: They are different kinds of games, hence the difference in sales.

No More Heroes is kinda like Killer 7. Didn't sell on the PS2 even though GTA was the top dog on the console.
Red Steel is definitely not a great game. I guess you can compare it to a franchise like Red Faction if you want. Didn't sell spectacularly on the PS2 either.
Muramasa. Well, Odin Sphere. Didn't sell on the PS2 either.

Not that many consumers buy 360s and PS3s due to first party games, that's evidenced by third party games being so present on the million sellers list, even at the top. What that means is that most consumers seem to go where the games are. So if it's made, it should sell. GTA:CW is the best selling top down GTA in the series. Dragon Quest IX is going to be the best selling game of the series. Monster Hunter Tri will easily become the best selling title of the series on a home console. How is that possible if what you say is correct?

Well, the answer is that you are wrong.

http://www.vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=Japan&game1=Monster+Hunter+Freedom+2nd+G+-+PSP[18542]&reg2=Japan&game2=Monster+Hunter+Tri+-+Wii[26681]&reg3=All&game3=&weeks=100

That's not going to happen.

Also @ OP, why would you bother saying CW is a mediocre game and then compare it to other games like Call of Duty and Monster Hunter? Sales-wise they are in the same ballpark, but your point insists that those are great games.

What's with all the excuses? Some vocal Nintendo fans on this site constantly know what's best and trash games when they sell poorly despite being good games. If it's not some "fatal gameplay flaw" (usually a complete exaggeration), it didn't have enough advertising, or it was drowned out by some GOTY which is a far better game than any of the competitors. Or maybe it was because the concept was great, but it was a bit on the eccentric side.

There's always something. Had NSMBWii been any other franchise or OIP (and therefore sold poorly) the nintendo guys would have said, "the mid-air collisions in this game made it completely unplayable with friends and totally killed the central aspect of the Wii demographic: social gaming". It's a cherry pick, honestly. If you push yourselves to like the game, then the idiosyncrasies don't matter....they actually IMPROVE the game! But when it sells bad, wow; everyone becomes a master librarian at Video Game Central and proclaims how devs don't understand anything and make poor decisions. You guys just can't let the pride down and say "Yes, blank game should've sold better, I don't understand". No no no. You guys have all the answers. 'Let's talk about Malstrom for a little while and congratulate N for being disruptive while we sip english breakfast and nibble on some ginger snaps'.

The OP doesn't even make a very good point, nor does the post directly below it about just dance or NSMB. 'the games that are deserving of being a hit, sell'. That's what I got from the OP.

The games that sell are the ones that the demographic userbase wants... It doesn't matter if it is a great game. What matters is what the environment is like, and what the demographic expects. Every developer wants to make hit games. Every dev is a creator. They don't like making corporate trash, but they sometimes have to do it. However, there are lots of these guys who want to make an experience for the audience and they really give it their all, but in sales, they always come up short. It is not their fault. Look at the non-nintendo games out there that sell bucketloads... it's mostly corporate cash-ins: cheap, easily made games that fit the demographic.

And don't worry about that ps2 diamonds list, rol. Wii is amassing a sizable army of ignored games in half the time.

the points I made about things that were specifically brought up were meant for the people I addressed them to. The rest of the ranting was just non-directional vitriol. You guys should really just enjoy your games, and stop thinking that it's your place to answer all the hatemail. Here's a tip: WHO CARES? Stop taking it personally when people complain that the wii can't sell a game they like. Like Rol said, there are plenty on every console, and there really aren't any concrete answers to any of them. So stop taking it personally and stop making these excuses.

Sorry for the rant. I really don't harbor any ill will toward any of you. But at times, this rhetoric is maddening. I like you all, and I know you're intelligent, but you're not fighting the good fight. You are fighting an ignorant one against people who hate on things because they are doing poorly on a system they hate. Don't stoop to that level, because there is no good answer. The questions the haters ask are rhetorical. They know the answer, and it's just a low-blow. It's especially embarassing when people try to actually defend it like it's something that is so profoundly intellectual that only a few fans in the underground, nintendo, and malstrom really understand.

@theprof00

Wow, that's the longest post I've ever read and agreed with at the same time.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Doobie_wop said:
@theprof00

Wow, that's the longest post I've ever read and agreed with at the same time.

I still think it's a bit over the top. I'm glad you agree.... but you should not agree with the tone. It's a rant at best.

EDIT: At least, being a smack out of nowhere, the post will provide lord with a lot of replies and vgc$

@theprof00

He said "best selling title of the series on a home console", that excludes the portable games.

Around the Network
Rhonin the wizard said:

@theprof00

He said "best selling title of the series on a home console", that excludes the portable games.

oh of course he did. How could I not expect rol to say something like that.

EDIT: now, I'm wondering if he was undermining his own point the entire time....

sorry rol.

Well there are plenty of good games on Wii and DS that are selling very little.. yet basically all Nintendo first party games sell like hotcakes..

Wii owners buy everything with Wii and Mario in the title.. sure quality plays a role (well in the Mario games atleast) but the name is most of it..

Currently playing: MAG, Heavy Rain, Infamous

Getting Plat trophies for: Heavy Rain, Infamous, RE5,  Burnout and GOW collection once I get it.

hmm man y'all argue over the most pointless issues sometimes and with such passion too lulz..not hating tho i find this entertaining to read at times

Bamboleo said:
chapset said:
well enjoy just dance and hana montana party babys bratz and stop complaining about not getting the games that are on the hd twins then

I haven't read the OP award for this guy

Repeating what has been said award for this guy

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

I kind of agree, with the bit about GTA anyway.