By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The VGC Official Monster Hunter Tri Thread

Mate, I am in the same position as u. I never manage to kill the diablos. My MH info are in my sig o/

Around the Network
Soriku said:

Aaargh, still can't beat Barroth. I doubt negate mud would help since his mud attacks really aren't that much of a problem. He just attacks really hard and he's so big that he can crush you with his tail from all sides but his right but even then it's still hard since he spins around a lot :/ Also I only have one more 2 star quest to go that I'm doing now (capturing the Great Jaggi).

It took for forever to beat Barroth. I learned to take it slow and not try to kill him in the first 10 minutes. I usually do not take out my weapon until I see a chance to attack, that way I can move faster than him and avoid all of his charges. I just circle with him until he pauses to shake mud, and I run up and hack at him near the tail, and roll away quickly before he swings it around. Using a trap early on to get in some quality hits also seems to help me. Most people seem to like the Lance, but I have better luck with the Switch Axe or Hammer.

In the absence of evidence to the contrary, always assume you have the upper hand.

NNID = RangerOne

Switch = SW-2393-3671-6907

Soriku said:

Aaargh, still can't beat Barroth. I doubt negate mud would help since his mud attacks really aren't that much of a problem. He just attacks really hard and he's so big that he can crush you with his tail from all sides but his right but even then it's still hard since he spins around a lot :/ Also I only have one more 2 star quest to go that I'm doing now (capturing the Great Jaggi).

Are you talking about the arena or the regular quest, though? Because help varies greatly between the two of them.

Barroth in general i've found fits Lance strategy like a glove. I'm a lancer for the most part, but the best thing to do is have a weapon that can block (preferably Lance because its best at that), and fight him with your back to an invisible wall, that way every time he tries to ram you, he ends up right on top of you, giving an attack opportunity.

The slower weapons are the hardest to use with him otherwise, given that if you can't block, you gotta move quick to avoid those charges of his.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Nothing to make you absolutely loathe Rathian even more than you already did than when Rathian becomes the sole reason your team fails a Diablos capture quest.

Oh the arena. I never even tried Barroth arena, just seemed to daunting.

Around the Network
Soriku said:

One more thing, what does it mean if armor has negative numbers like Water -1, Fire -3, etc.? Does that mean that elemental damage decreases when there's a negative number or is that only if it's positive?

Edit: Nvm, I searched and got my answer.

I defeated Barroth by getting the Plume Flint Hammer, 250 Fire.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Soriku, take fire or water weapon, and try hit and run tactics. He is really boring,sice he runs all the time, but just turn around and give him a few slashes, then repeat. Negate mud is really important to get against him imho. And bring some traps for extra damage. 

Soriku said:

Don't get discouraged: Barroth is as tough as some 3-star monsters, and tougher than a few of those as well.  One thing to keep in mind is that greed is bad: if you have a slow weapon, be satisfied with getting just one or two lumps in per charge.  You can actually dodge THROUGH the tail swipes, but the timing is tricky without the EvasionPlus skill, so don't rely on it.

Bring a water weapon if you have one, do NOT heal yourself when he is in the same zone as you, and leave Cha-Cha at home for this mission: you want Barroth to be predictable, and he won't be if he randomly charges Cha-Cha instead of you.

noname2200 said:
Soriku said:

Don't get discouraged: Barroth is as tough as some 3-star monsters, and tougher than a few of those as well.  One thing to keep in mind is that greed is bad: if you have a slow weapon, be satisfied with getting just one or two lumps in per charge.  You can actually dodge THROUGH the tail swipes, but the timing is tricky without the EvasionPlus skill, so don't rely on it.

Bring a water weapon if you have one, do NOT heal yourself when he is in the same zone as you, and leave Cha-Cha at home for this mission: you want Barroth to be predictable, and he won't be if he randomly charges Cha-Cha instead of you.

He's still talking arena. Cha-Cha isn't an option, and neither is Evasion Plus (probably)

Mr Khan said:

He's still talking arena. Cha-Cha isn't an option, and neither is Evasion Plus (probably)

Ah, gotcha. Nevermind those parts then!  I used the bowgun to beat that challenge, but depending on his comfort level, that may not be an option.

By the by, game tonight?  And is it still Wisdom 3, CG 20, City 20?