By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The VGC Official Monster Hunter Tri Thread

Soriku said:

I managed to capture a Royal Ludroth after like my 4th try. One of the times I ended up killing it and failing but I took a little gamble my 4th time and managed to get it after I assumed his HP was down enough. He doesn't limp so that's annoying.

I managed to make full Rhenoplos armor which stopped me from getting that mud status effect (although most of the time I was blocking them anyway). I made a Spiral Lance and its awesome that lance shields can completely block an attack in exchange for stamina (which is no big deal). Water weakness for Barroth helped. Managed to take him down without TOO much trouble. Too bad lance is slow and not manuevarable...would be awesome if that wasn't the case.

Now trying to beat Gobul. Only attempted him once but he seems tough. Might have to use the lance again, although monsters don't have strengths right? Like, Gobul is a water monster but Spiral Lance would still work well on him even with a water element? Also trying to take down Royal Ludroth in the arena with a GS.

Tomorrow I should finally be getting a LS! :)

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

^ sorry if thats not you meant. Gobuls weaknesses are Fire and Thunder, but he's actually alot easier to beat than Barroth (maybe you will need only 5 Mega Potions).   http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Gobul

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

I never entirely understood the weakness/resistance thing

As near as i can tell, *any* item with an elemental affinity is better than having an item without an elemental affinity, even if its the resistant type (like Spiral Lance against Gobul, Ludroth, or Lagiacrus). The charts on the Monster Hunter wiki seem to indicate that, given that they'll show percentages next to the various elements against different body parts. A resistant element generally reads at 10%, a weak one anywhere from 20-35, but it was my assumption that those percentages mean you take that percent of a weapon's elemental affinity and then add it to the weapon's attack, so an item with 280 attack and 100 water will become an item with 290 attack on a monster that is "resistant" to water with that 10%, but will become an item with 310 attack for a monster that is "weak" to water with, say, 30%

Under this line of thinking, its better to have any element, even the "weak" one, than none at all, though its always better to have the strong one. Or can someone explain it better?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:

I never entirely understood the weakness/resistance thing

As near as i can tell, *any* item with an elemental affinity is better than having an item without an elemental affinity, even if its the resistant type (like Spiral Lance against Gobul, Ludroth, or Lagiacrus). The charts on the Monster Hunter wiki seem to indicate that, given that they'll show percentages next to the various elements against different body parts. A resistant element generally reads at 10%, a weak one anywhere from 20-35, but it was my assumption that those percentages mean you take that percent of a weapon's elemental affinity and then add it to the weapon's attack, so an item with 280 attack and 100 water will become an item with 290 attack on a monster that is "resistant" to water with that 10%, but will become an item with 310 attack for a monster that is "weak" to water with, say, 30%

Under this line of thinking, its better to have any element, even the "weak" one, than none at all, though its always better to have the strong one. Or can someone explain it better?

That's about right: elemental damage is never harmful, only beneficial.  The trick, of course, is to maximize that damage, especially since a 5% weakness to water would mean that the impressive 450 Water damage from a Sharq Attack is inflicting a measly 22 base damage, which is further reduced according to the type of attack you use and the area you hit the monster: you might only be doing 6 damage per hit...

HR27 now. Oh so close. I can't want to get something as simple sounding as a Monster Bone plus. And a million other things really.

Around the Network

I'll be on at 6:15 central time(one hour from now). I'll be on Recruiting, Wisdom 3, City gate 20, city 20. I don't care what we hunt, I just feel like playing.

Mind if we do cold call runs bone? I need some materials for my tenbera D

95% of gamers don't know they are noobs, the 5% who do won't be noobs for long

Check out my kickstarter project: http://kck.st/15CEuUT

Check out my blog: http://www.metropolisgaming.com

metalmonstar said:

Mind if we do cold call runs bone? I need some materials for my tenbera D

Sure, try to get more VGChartz members to join us.

Your room was full :/

I learned what Jhen Mohran is today. One failed run, one abandoned, and one successful repel. Reward doesn't seem worth the effort, imo. Though i had absolutely no idea what i was doing the whole time.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

For a successfull kill of Jhen Mohran you need a good party. If you have no idea what to do, than the best thing is to constantly grab canon balls and fire them on him. And hope that the other team members know what they do ...

If you are really lucky, than you can get elder dragon blood and earth dragongem which are necessary for some weapons. However, it may be easier to get elder dragon blood offline from the ceadeus.