By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 could statistically surpass 360, may 2011--Jan. 2012

Ssliasil said:
You can look into the future all you want, I can say the same thing about a PS3 pricecut later this year...
Sony has already stated they have made the PS3 Slim even lighter= less cost= pricecut...Will it happen?

It could but we cant confirm that, same for and kind of 360 Price Cut...so it has no valid point in this argument/discussion/debate w/e it is lol

Exactly.

Around the Network

I don't care anymore. I don't see it happening anyway. They are close enough anyway to sell well and compete. The game was to finish first and that's taken, now the focus is on profit. Let it go already and enjoy

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
nightsurge said:
jbrist said:
Nightsurge, how do we know 2010 is in MS favour, I mean, we don't even know if they'll have a pricecut, and there's no confirmation or solid proof of a slim as of yet, therefore, you can't use what doesn't exist as ammo in an arguement, it doesn't work that way.

If you can't use what doesn't exist, then this whole thread is a fail because it is based off the assumption that NOTHING will change as of this point, which quite frankly is just not true.

MS had no price cut last year.  Sony did.  MS Slim 360 rumors are VERY VERY plausible given all the recent evidence so that will in turn make it cheaper for them and gives more credence to a MS price cut this year.  Sony on the other hand is just about to break even on PS3's so will likely not cut their price at all, especially if they want to bundle Move with the systems.

Would you 360 fans get over it.  MS did have a price cut last year.  They dropped the friggin' Elite by $100 to respond to the launch of the Slim and Sony's pricecut.  And don't try to beat around the bush by saying, "Well, they really just replaced a Sku."  BS.  That's fanboy talk and you know it.  Just like it would be fanboy talk if a PS3 fan said Sony didn't have a price cut cause they just replaced a Sku.  You know you'd be all over them saying, "Oh it did have a price cut, but it didn't work."  The fact is MS did have a price cut, but it didn't really help combat the Slim, except maybe helping them not drop too far below ~100K each week.  God, are the people in the "console wars" getting more desperate every gen?  No one during previous gens would try to argue it wasn't a price cut.

Personally, I don't think this trend of PS3 outselling the 360 is going to end anytime soon.  I mean we probably got till the end of the year before MS lowers the price just in time for Natal.  And I really don't see either Natal or the Move being that huge of a success, with Move maybe being slightly bigger.  Plus, people are just seeing more value with a PS3.  With Blu-ray and free Wi-Fi and PSN included with the package.  MS will most likely only cut the Elite by $50 at the end of the year, so Sony would probably only have to cut the PS3 to about $269.99 - $279.99 to combat that.  And with the cost cutting measures Sony has been making as of late, I'm sure they'll be able to afford it.

Ssliasil said:
barozi, yes..there is...That was a complete fanboy comment...wow.

LOL

man this site is getting ridiculous...

(psrock is in the right)

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

jbrist said:
Ssliasil said:
You can look into the future all you want, I can say the same thing about a PS3 pricecut later this year...
Sony has already stated they have made the PS3 Slim even lighter= less cost= pricecut...Will it happen?

It could but we cant confirm that, same for and kind of 360 Price Cut...so it has no valid point in this argument/discussion/debate w/e it is lol

Exactly.

Then there is no point of argument/discussion/debate since OP is putting a condition that statistically it will happen IF there is no new announcement and current trend continues.

It would be like last March someone said "Based on the current trend and if nothing changes, mathmatically PS3 will never catch up to 360". That would be a true statement as well. However, the trend changed hence the gap is narrowed now.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Around the Network

something doesnt match up with your number Kowen, i've gone by the current WW numbers and double checked, the numbers you posted...math must be done wrong or something, unless its just for the americas.

...uhh...ill just put my favorite quote of all time here.

"Welcome to Pain, the second of three...You have dealt the first...now deal with me!!"

nightsurge said:
Ssliasil said:
barozi, yes..there is...That was a complete fanboy comment...wow.

1.) The Slim wasnt launched in 2008,
2.) 2008 is completely irrelevant cause it doesnt cooincide with the current trend thats been running for 9 months now.
3.) again 2008 doesnt matter...at all anymore.

Actually this right here that you wrote is a fanboy comment.  What he said was true.

If I made this same thread at this time last year, the PS3 would have been down by an average of about 100k a week and the gap would forever increase.  You have to realize that momentum shifts will continue to happen each year.  This year it will favor MS (with slim, price cut, natal, etc).  There will be no year where Sony and MS somehow neutralize each other's moves so that a shift does not occur.

2007 - Sony price cut - Momentum goes to Sony

2008 - MS price cut - Momentum goes to MS

2009 - Sony price cut + Slim - Momentum goes to Sony

2010 - MS price cut + Slim - Momentum goes to MS

And so on....

Ugh, let's think of some different insult words, shall we? Fanboy is such a tired term. With regards to the pricecuts, the PS3 has greater current momentum than the 360 even at the same price. If the 360 got a pricecut, they may gain momentum well enough to match or barely surmount that of the PS3, but the following pricecut for the PS3 would just negate its effect once again and sell faster. This train of thought is all based on current trends of course.

I survived the Apocalyps3

Nabraham said:
So what? By that time the PS3 will be 4 and a half or 5 years old....will it matter at that point? It's not like parties will start jumping ship because this console generation will be on the decline and it's not like the PS3 or 360 have sold bad either.

This thread is meant to discuss its possibility, not whether or not it "matters." Bring something to the conversation.

I survived the Apocalyps3

But do the math in the OP and then tell me how they are different :P

...uhh...ill just put my favorite quote of all time here.

"Welcome to Pain, the second of three...You have dealt the first...now deal with me!!"

Kowen I don't think your method makes sense because it doesn't show Holiday sales. So pretty much all those "per month" figures should be lower for non-holiday. The OP's method makes more sense to me.

^_^