By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - You're working: how many days do you get off per year?

Hmm, I think I get 10 vacation days a year that roll over to the next year if I don't use them, 2 floating holidays that don't roll over, and the standard holidays. I've been there maybe 2 1/2 closer to 3 years maybe.

All in all I'm happy since I don't really use my normal vacation days anyways.  I might use a day, maybe two, but that's generally it.  Who knows, maybe in a year or two I'll just take a month and catch up on games.

Around the Network

@ twesterm

It's good, that you really seem to like your job, but wouldn't it be better, if you could take your video game time-out or maybe do some travels each year and just because you seem to live in the wrong country you can't?

Wow - my first double post...

I get off twice a week, mostly, wait... what? I meant I get 2 weeks off.

I get twelve rostered days off a year by working half an hour extra each day (this works out sweet for me, as I normally manage to leave at the normal time anyway).

I get ten paid sick leave days.

I get four weeks (20 days) of paid annual leave.

So I guess 42 if I need them?

The sick leave I don't get reimbursed for if I don't take them, the RDO's I get paid for eventually (as technically speaking I have already "worked" those hours) and the annual leave accrues if I don't use it. Of course if I went a couple of years without taking leave I would accrue enormous amounts and work may compel me to take it.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

28 days of vacation per year... This means I can have a nice summer vacation and Christmas/New Year to go back home as well.

My philosophy is work to live, don't live to work.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

By the way, I should note that the US vacation policy is why I would never consider working there. 10 days of vacation is barely enough to recover from the jet lag in a return trip back home. By the time I'm adapted to the new timezone it's time to go back, and then oh joy, another week of jet lag.

I found a report which says 1 out of 4 Americans don't take any vacation at all... wow.

http://www.cepr.net/index.php/publications/reports/no-vacation-nation/

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

@starcraft
wait: you just get 10 days off, if you're sick?

I heard about something like this, so I didn't want to include this. If I got sick I would get 365 paid days off per year. After six weeks in a row the health care company (socialized health care system) would jump in and pay me.

and please don't add over-time which transfers into vacation days.

Don't include days off? then 3. Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas

fmc83 said:
@starcraft
wait: you just get 10 days off, if you're sick?

I heard about something like this, so I didn't want to include this. If I got sick I would get 365 paid days off per year. After six weeks in a row the health care company (socialized health care system) would jump in and pay me.

and please don't add over-time which transfers into vacation days.

Maybe I get 12 sick leave days?  I don't know.  But they are definitely paid.

I only mentioned the rostered days off because I never actually seem to work that extra half hour, but I always get the "paid" day off...

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS