By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - You're working: how many days do you get off per year?

mirgro said:
NJ5 said:

28 days of vacation per year... This means I can have a nice summer vacation and Christmas/New Year to go back home as well.

My philosophy is work to live, don't live to work.

I don't know where you are from, but it sounds like you are not US grown but European grown. I like your style and I fully support your philosophy.

I'm gonna risk a ban to say that a lot of US grown people I have met  have some really fucked up priorities in life.

I wouldn't say, that this is f... up, but I reckon this very point is the most important diffference between the US and European countries.

And this basic point leads to all the arguments - may it be health care, economy, social politics: This huge difference is the origin.

Around the Network
fmc83 said:
mirgro said:
NJ5 said:

28 days of vacation per year... This means I can have a nice summer vacation and Christmas/New Year to go back home as well.

I don't know where you are from, but it sounds like you are not US grown but European grown. I like your style and I fully support your philosophy.

I'm gonna risk a ban to say that a lot of US grown people I have met  have some really fucked up priorities in life.

I wouldn't say, that this is f... up, but I reckon this very point is the most important diffference between the US and European countries.

And this basic point leads to all the arguments - may it be health care, economy, social politics: This huge difference is the origin.

I agree that it may not be fucked up, but it is very anti-social different. However even by US standards anti-social is automatically labeled as some form of fucked up and they really make that clear, so I guess I have them to blame if I label their anti-social behavior as fucked up instead of just saying different. Too much has rubbed off on me it seems.

P.S. It's also very anoying to hear how their world view made hem the number one country when it had nothing to do with it. It was all blind luck and huge borrowing and debt accruing.

Been there 7 years, I get about 15 holidays, 15 vacation days, 3 floating holidays, and a 7 day paid plant shutdown in December. So thats 40 days total. Also depending on the year we are having we will have a 2 week pant shutdown in the summer as well so that total can get to 50.

I also have unlimited paid sick leave so I could be off for 3-4 straight years I guess, as long as I was sick that is. I also have up to 6 months of unpaid leave I can take.

mirgro said:
fmc83 said:
mirgro said:
NJ5 said:

I agree that it may not be fucked up, but it is very anti-social different. However even by US standards anti-social is automatically labeled as some form of fucked up and they really make that clear, so I guess I have them to blame if I label their anti-social behavior as fucked up instead of just saying different. Too much has rubbed off on me it seems.

P.S. It's also very anoying to hear how their world view made hem the number one country when it had nothing to do with it. It was all blind luck and huge borrowing and debt accruing.

I would like to know more about how you think certain people have very anti-social behavior when it comes to how they treat their work?

Also is there really a need for the bashing of their people and their world views?

24 vacation days
9/10 holiday days..
A sick day counts as a vacation day untill I have 20 vacation days left.. so i'll lose a maximum of 4 days..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network
Vetteman94 said:
mirgro said:
fmc83 said:
mirgro said:
NJ5 said:

I would like to know more about how you think certain people have very anti-social behavior when it comes to how they treat their work?

Also is there really a need for the bashing of their people and their world views?

I spent some time in a few of the lower Fortune 500 companies, and the mindset of how the people have to work and how imporant the work is to them is extremely anti-social. They don't see their families for weeks a a time, and i the few companies I saw it seemed like they were under a "deadline" 3 weeks out of any given 4. Their social lives seemd to revolve around work as well.

Meanwhile I spent some time in Spain. You got to work, you get out on time, fuck the rest, and then you never mention work again outside of it. They are super concentrated during those hours they work but the moment time should be gone they are gone. Nothing even remotely as bad as what I saw in the US corporations.

Add that mentality to the already extremely anti-social, suburban, strcuture that the US is in and the consequences are very disasterous. The most social places in the US that I have visited are NYC and Miami, and Miami is full of Hispanics and NYC doesn't have the rich spread out in suburbs.

As to why I bash its world views, it's because humans are social animals, every study on the planet has shown that, and the US system is very anti-social.

mirgro said:
fmc83 said:
mirgro said:
NJ5 said:

So you don't believe that hard work and the winner mentality of the American nation had anything to do with them becoming one of the greatest super-powers in history?

I get about 20 days off a year - 2 weeks during Christmas, plus typical national holidays. Its great. Given that my last job gave me off about 2 days a year, and had to work most 'big' holidays, I am very grateful for what I have now.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mirgro said:
Vetteman94 said:
mirgro said:

I spent some time in a few of the lower Fortune 500 companies, and the mindset of how the people have to work and how imporant the work is to them is extremely anti-social. They don't see their families for weeks a a time, and i the few companies I saw it seemed like they were under a "deadline" 3 weeks out of any given 4. Their social lives seemd to revolve around work as well.

Meanwhile I spent some time in Spain. You got to work, you get out on time, fuck the rest, and then you never mention work again outside of it. They are super concentrated during those hours they work but the moment time should be gone they are gone. Nothing even remotely as bad as what I saw in the US corporations.

Add that mentality to the already extremely anti-social, suburban, strcuture that the US is in and the consequences are very disasterous. The most social places in the US that I have visited are NYC and Miami, and Miami is full of Hispanics and NYC doesn't have the rich spread out in suburbs.

As to why I bash its world views, it's because humans are social animals, every study on the planet has shown that, and the US system is very anti-social.

Well I have been working for one of the largest Fortune 500 Companies,  and one of the largest corporations in the world.  While there are people that are the way you describe,  it is not the norm. Most people i the office environment just go about their day doing their jobs and leave when their time is up.  And thats it.  Sure there are people who get a little crazy about their work, but there are benefits to those who are like that.  Alot of the people who do work like that end up retiring at a much earlier age than everyone else,  so they can go and do things with the money they earned as a result of their hard work.   And I am not talking like 3-5 years earlier,  I mean 10+ years earlier. 

Not to mention that the corporate world is only one side to the US,  I know for a fact that laborers do not do such things,  and they make up a much larger part of the US working force than the corporate workers.  

The US is not anti-social,  you just need to broaden your views because right now its very narrow. 

Vetteman94 said:

Well I have been working for one of the largest Fortune 500 Companies,  and one of the largest corporations in the world.  While there are people that are the way you describe,  it is not the norm. Most people i the office environment just go about their day doing their jobs and leave when their time is up.  And thats it.  Sure there are people who get a little crazy about their work, but there are benefits to those who are like that.  Alot of the people who do work like that end up retiring at a much earlier age than everyone else,  so they can go and do things with the money they earned as a result of their hard work.   And I am not talking like 3-5 years earlier,  I mean 10+ years earlier. 

Not to mention that the corporate world is only one side to the US,  I know for a fact that laborers do not do such things,  and they make up a much larger part of the US working force than the corporate workers.  

The US is not anti-social,  you just need to broaden your views because right now its very narrow. 

So how many days do workers get off per year?