By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It's Official: PS3 Has The Best Library Ever

archbrix said:
Reasonable said:
bit of a skew due to number of titles there. Look at the actual titles on PS1, PS2, etc. Clearly when looked at like this what you're going to see is the following:

- fairly successful consoles with small libraries and good games at the top (yup, there's the PS3/360)
- really successful consoles with huge libraries and lots of shovelware further down (yup, there's the PS2)
- weaker consoles at the bottom

As always and interesting bit of data but nothing to take at face value.

Exactly.  If system A has a total of 50 games, 3/4 of which are excellent it would rank higher than system B with a total of 100 games, 1/2 of which are excellent, even though system B has more excellent games.

I still can't believe though, that the Xbox would beat the PS2 even by this rational...

Yes, but its expected that once a system A reaches 100 games, it will have more excellent because of the better precentile rate

Around the Network

I wonder if those people that keep talking about percentage and telling others to understand what it is actually see the numbers where said percentage came from, which are much more important. Particularly how the PS3, Xbox, 360, and PSP just have more gold games than the SNES by sheer amount.

pizzahut451 said:
archbrix said:
Reasonable said:
bit of a skew due to number of titles there. Look at the actual titles on PS1, PS2, etc. Clearly when looked at like this what you're going to see is the following:

- fairly successful consoles with small libraries and good games at the top (yup, there's the PS3/360)
- really successful consoles with huge libraries and lots of shovelware further down (yup, there's the PS2)
- weaker consoles at the bottom

As always and interesting bit of data but nothing to take at face value.

Exactly.  If system A has a total of 50 games, 3/4 of which are excellent it would rank higher than system B with a total of 100 games, 1/2 of which are excellent, even though system B has more excellent games.

I still can't believe though, that the Xbox would beat the PS2 even by this rational...

Yes, but its expected that once a system A reaches 100 games, it will have more excellent because of the better precentile rate

Actually, one other point to note as well.  The PS3/360 are both pretty high up the list, both have relatively small (compared to PS2 for example) libraries and both are much more expensive to develop for than say PS2 or Wii - as a result they have far less shovelware and this also gives them an advantage from a ration perspective.

As others have noted, if you want the highest actual number of high scoring games that's the PS2.  If you want the consoles with the highest ratio of high scoring games to total library size and least shovelware that's the PS3/360.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

I do like how the ps2 in 7th place still has an amount of 32+ scored games over the total of the first 6 places combined!

So, go buy a ps2 and enjoy!