By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Responds To Nintendo 3DS Announcement

Games4Fun said:
leo-j said:
Games4Fun said:

Same reason that there will always be price..

By the time the 3DS is released (whihc will likely be more than $149 at launch, I am assuming $200)

the PS3 should be less than $299..

Got to include a tv which the masses will not be able to afford and the need? for the glasses. In time these will go down in price, but how long will that take?

@Squilliam

Again where did you get this information? I don't believe sony has released any info regarding 3d and how it will be implemented, all they have said is that it works, and it works very well..

@this post

You have a point, but considering the fact the recent release of 3d tv's caused a significant sell out, I am assuming they are in high demand.. and the SONY tv's will be cheaper than the others. The glasses come with the tv *two pairs*, but yes I agree, if there aren't many people with 3d tv's they wont be able to get 3d out of the PS3. Which limits its potential market.

mM
Around the Network
leo-j said:
Games4Fun said:

By the time the 3DS is released (whihc will likely be more than $149 at launch, I am assuming $200)

But $100+ glasses are needed for each person and most will need to buy a new very expensive tv.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Grimes said:
leo-j said:
IPHONE already offers portable 3d games though.. so how is it a different egg to crack?

The iPhone displays the same image to both eyes. You have to move the iPhone in order to observe the 3d effect.

The Sharp technology puts a different image in each eye. The 3d image will appear without any movement.

Totally different technologies and the results are very different.

They are? Id like to see a demonstration of both..because we haven't really seen this 3d tech the new handheld will show off

mM
leo-j said:
Games4Fun said:
leo-j said:
Games4Fun said:

Got to include a tv which the masses will not be able to afford and the need? for the glasses. In time these will go down in price, but how long will that take?

@Squilliam

Again where did you get this information? I don't believe sony has released any info regarding 3d and how it will be implemented, all they have said is that it works, and it works very well..

@this post

You have a point, but considering the fact the recent release of 3d tv's caused a significant sell out, I am assuming they are in high demand.. and the SONY tv's will be cheaper than the others. The glasses come with the tv *two pairs*, but yes I agree, if there aren't many people with 3d tv's they wont be able to get 3d out of the PS3. Which limits its potential market.

Yea i see that as the major hurdle for them. To bad 3d gaming seems very interesting. Would be nice to have pushed and strongly recieved on both Home and handhelds consoles.

I agree.. based on what I have heard 3d gaming that has been shown off on ps3, is jaw dropping..

I will try to get into it.. I am a huge 3d fan, AVATAR and ALICE really captured my interest in 3d.

mM
Around the Network

leo-j seriously just relax, i mean, what do you gain from all this? =s

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

leo-j said:
Wyrdness said:
I think a lot of people are forgeting about what might happen with Sony marketing 3d as the second coming and the Nintendo shows the 3DS to the public as a 3D hand held with no need for glasses of a new TV, effectively Sony would of indirectly marketed it for them.

The difference is the PS3 would look like the better it can do everything machine.. why get a DS when the PS3 does everything and does it much better?

That's there goal.. why do you think PS MOVE is coming out, why get a wii when the ps3 has it and does it better? 3D gaming was originally just going to be the PS3 that pushes it, but nintendo appears to want to push 3d gaming as well.

Sony is going to hype 3D gaming to all hell, and then Nintendo is going to swoop in from the heavens and tell everybody they don't need special glasses or special TVs, they can fit 3D gaming in their pocket.  That's what this is going to look like.  It's all going according to Nintendo's plan.

And the PS3 doesn't do everything better than the DS.  It sure doesn't do Nintendogs or Brain Training better.  :)

So ur telling me in order to take advantage of the 3D from the Ps3 u need a tv designed for it?

psrock said:
Why is the Sony response thread bigger than the actual 3DS thread?

Most of the thread has been used to talk about gaming demographics, multimedia devices, 3d Tvs and catfight. But hasn't been locked because of the lulz. 

How many copies did Brain Training sell? Its one of my favorite games for my DSL, and I know that game isn't targeted toward 8-9 yr. olds at all.