By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Responds To Nintendo 3DS Announcement

Xoj said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Oh yes Sony, because we all know that 9 year olds hate 3D...FFS when I was 9, I would have shit allover myself to just SEE something in 3D.

Fact is, this will make Nintendo tons of money, and they will be the first one to offer it. Sony will copy it, of course, just like the Wii with motion control and just like the DS with touch screens(speculation, but can you imagine a PSP2 without a touch screen, really?). Now all consoles have motion controls and all devices have touch screens, and Nintendo is vastly wealthy with everyone either copying their current systems, or with plans to copy said systems in the very near future.

they already have it , firmware will hit soon for the ps3.

and non glasses technology it's rumored for the next PSP, also powervr chip for graphics and beefy ARM multi core cpu

I don't understand why Sony is being beaten to the market on this, in the handheld department.

Anyway, yes, crack gone super sayijin.

What is so genius about Nintendo's plan, is the fact that you don't have to buy a TV to experience their 3D. With a home console, you need expensive components. With the new DS, you just need to buy their hardware, thus making 3D casual friendly and affordable.

Kudos to Sony if they had the same plan as Nintendo, but didn't I just read that they were focusing on the console department for 3D in the OP. A firmware update....

If they beat the DS to the market with portable glasses free 3D, now that would have been a boon to their entire company. I do believe that it will make Nintendo billions of dollars.

Even if they were planning glasses free 3D before Nintendo(unprovable an anecdotally unlikely after this announcement plus E3 prototype), its too late now. The IPO is out of the box. Everything after this is just riding the wave as far as the public is concerned.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
mOeR-rpGee said:
why do people deny that the wii and ds are aimed at the younger demographic?

it is absurd to even argue this point... sure there are those in their late 20's and early 30's that may play it... but most will only do so to spend time with their own kids.

going by my experience, the majority of those in the age group of 16-25 will not use the wii/ds as their primary gaming provider.

the gaming library of the ds/wii is proof that it is made for the younger audience... for every No more heores, there are 20 brain age and animal crossing type games.

Brain Age is not the sort of game that appeals to children. It wasn't marketed that way, either - neither was its sequel.

leo-j said:
chichi-101 said:
Again I ask what makes the PSP more mature?

it's the best multimedia device on the market period. That alone makes it more suitable for mature audiences, than just a gaming machine aka the DS. Or should I say the DSi, which is trying to get on that market by implementing multimedia features.

Having a DS I can say it isn't geared to the mature crowd as much as the PSP is, since the PSP offers a much more mature library, or should I say a libary that isn't too appropriate for a younger audience(although sony is changing this with there 1st party ip). Sony's main target the the PSP was ofcourse the teen/adult audience, while nintendo's audience for the DS was always for everyone.

@bolded

you live in the stone age.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

alfredofroylan said:
Carl2291 said:

@ The Thread:
Wow... Just wow.

What? Were you expecting something like this in a gaming forum:

is what i am seeing this past week on VGchartz =s

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Xoj said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Oh yes Sony, because we all know that 9 year olds hate 3D...FFS when I was 9, I would have shit allover myself to just SEE something in 3D.

Fact is, this will make Nintendo tons of money, and they will be the first one to offer it. Sony will copy it, of course, just like the Wii with motion control and just like the DS with touch screens(speculation, but can you imagine a PSP2 without a touch screen, really?). Now all consoles have motion controls and all devices have touch screens, and Nintendo is vastly wealthy with everyone either copying their current systems, or with plans to copy said systems in the very near future.

and non glasses technology it's rumored for the next PSP, also powervr chip for graphics and beefy ARM multi core cpu

I don't understand why Sony is being beaten to the market on this, in the handheld department.

What is so genius about Nintendo's plan, is the fact that you don't have to buy a TV to experience their 3D. With a home console, you need expensive components. With the new DS, you just need to buy their hardware, thus making 3D casual friendly and affordable.

Kudos to Sony if they had the same plan as Nintendo, but didn't I just read that they were focusing on the console department for 3D in the OP. A firmware update....

If they beat the DS to the market with portable glasses free 3D, now that would have been a boon to their entire company. I do believe that it will make Nintendo billions of dollars.

Even if they were planning glasses free 3D before Nintendo(unprovable an anecdotally unlikely after this announcement plus E3 prototype), its too late now. The IPO is out of the box. Everything after this is just riding the wave as far as the public is concerned.

not late, first 3d tvs just were released this month, and they were a success, panasonic and samsung both report sell outs.

remenber sony makes TV also, so they profit either way.

as for the PSP it's not the main concern right now though like i said they already have deals to all components cpu it's going ARM and gpu its next gen mobile gpu, ps3 firmware it's said to be ready by late april, sony TV already started shipping.

some sony TVs dont require glasses, but ps3 3d tech makes it compatible with multiple versions of 3d with and without, sony it's actually almost ready on this front since they are one of the tech pushers.

Around the Network

@severance

beautiful, just beautiful

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Xoj said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

So in other words, Nintnedo is god, and the public see them as god, and see the others as copy cats trying to get even an inch close to nintendo?

sigh..

the general public will not know of the 3DS until maybe e3..and even then im sure sony would be pushing 3d gaming on ps3 like crazy, there 3D TVS are going to be the most affortable, so its a win win situation for them, and it's ACTUAL 3D , we don't know if the DS 3d is similar to the iphone tech already implemented by iphone devs using the motion tech and accelorometers, because if it is, that wouldn't change much of anything..

mM

Why is the Sony response thread bigger than the actual 3DS thread?

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

I think a lot of people are forgeting about what might happen with Sony marketing 3d as the second coming and the Nintendo shows the 3DS to the public as a 3D hand held with no need for glasses of a new TV, effectively Sony would of indirectly marketed it for them.

Euphoria14 said:

What was Sony supposed to do huh, stick 3D TV Sets on top of their PS3 models?

Sony will be first to the market with 3D gaming. Sony have been the ones pushing for 3D for a long time now.

Don't act like that isn't the truth and all of a sudden Nintendo are the 3D gaming pioneers.

You do also know there are TVs releasing that require no glasses right?

By the way, I still think this new DS is absolutely fantastic and I will be picking it up on day 1, especially if this E3 showing blows my mind like I expect it to.

No actually Nvidia are the first to market with effective 3D gaming for home based systems. Nintendo will be the first to market with handheld 3D gaming (in an effective form) as well. Sony will be behind the 8 ball for the remainder of the generation because whilst the PS3 can do 3D, it cannot do effective 3D as it currently exists. It would be a gimmick with only a select few titles supporting the technology.

Tease.