By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony & Nintendo did not invent Motion -Control

why are Nintendo fans so angry? Nintendo doesn't care about you so why care about them? care about the Wii not the company behind it..

and after all competition gives quality.. Nintendo 1st party has so far been unappealing to basically everyone I know.. (with exeptions, but few)

I would like to hear what Sony could POSSIBLY do that would hurt Nintendo..

Take away Wii sales? Wii sales are super high right now and 3rd party studio's are massively backing down on developing for the Wii.. so that's definetly not a big concern

Currently playing: MAG, Heavy Rain, Infamous

Getting Plat trophies for: Heavy Rain, Infamous, RE5,  Burnout and GOW collection once I get it.

Around the Network
gamelover2000 said:
why are Nintendo fans so angry? Nintendo doesn't care about you so why care about them? care about the Wii not the company behind it..

and after all competition gives quality.. Nintendo 1st party has so far been unappealing to basically everyone I know.. (with exeptions, but few)

I would like to hear what Sony could POSSIBLY do that would hurt Nintendo..

Take away Wii sales? Wii sales are super high right now and 3rd party studio's are massively backing down on developing for the Wii.. so that's definetly not a big concern

Wow really? for me it's the other way around, basically everyone I know thinks that just NSMBW by itself is appealing enough.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

panasonic23 said:

Microsoft SideWinder it was release around the 90s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMDwuNv-H4I

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Sidewinder

February 16 2000 the Sega DreamEye was Unveiled

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreameye

http://dreamcast.ign.com/articles/075/075305p1.html

Power Glove was originally released in 1989. Though it was an officially licensed product, Nintendo was not involved in the design or release of this accessory. Rather, it was designed by the team of Grant Goddard and Sam Davis for Abrams Gentile Entertainment (AGE), made by Mattel in the United States[

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Glove

Now can  all fanboys please stop fighting over who copying who.

Actually, you are years ahead.

The NES zapper was a gun that used motion and light beams to control an on-screen cursor for shooting games, and was released in 1984, five years before the power glove.

In all technicality though, the computer mouse was the first motion control device for gaming, and by a single person in the 60s (it was wooden, btw). The first commercially available mouse was available from Xerox in the early 80s, and the first successful mouse was available with the oldschool Apple computers in 84.

Sorry, none of our current console makers are responsible for motion control. 

Nintendo brought it to consoles, however... but their technology has BARELY improved in this aspect over almost 20 years now. They are still using cheapo lightbars that are incredible inaccurate and a hassle to deal with.

At least Sony and MS are taking it a step further.

But Nintendo made it popular.

It isn't about who copied what, its about how Nintendo has implemented the motion controlling to its best advantage.
Remember that even though the British created the tank first, only until the germans made a better version of it in the world war
Same for Apple, they recreated the mp3 player that everyone appreciates.

That's Gordon Freeman in "Real-Life"

Around the Network
Raido said:
But Nintendo made it popular.

So? Nobody else was in the console biz when Nintendo started to test various motion devices, so it kinda hard to argue against that.

Making something popular doesn't make it good. Like I said, Nintendo is using the same light-based technology with the Wii that they did 20 years ago with the first nintendo. Its inaccurate and isn't by any means new technology.

Sorry, but I can give you literally THOUSANDS of examples where someone or something made something popular but are NOT known as ever doing it the best. Hell, most of them aren't even known for doing it good. When something is new, its fun and exciting, regardless of how piss poor it is. Hence, the Wii.

Video game companies don't make anything (except games). They all borrow from existing technologies, aliens, and labs. They just decide which existing technology will be good for gaming and then they integrate it.

Turbo Touch 360, U-Force, Activater, Power Pad, Power Glove, Life Fitness Life Cycle, Miracle Piano Keyboard. These are all video game accessories that came out 15-20 years ago for video games. Look 'em up. If they were released today (and actually worked), your minds would be blown away. The concepts aren't new. The implementation is.

d21lewis said:
Video game companies don't make anything (except games). They all borrow from existing technologies, aliens, and labs. They just decide which existing technology will be good for gaming and then they integrate it.

Turbo Touch 360, U-Force, Activater, Power Pad, Power Glove, Life Fitness Life Cycle, Miracle Piano Keyboard. These are all video game accessories that came out 15-20 years ago for video games. Look 'em up. If they were released today (and actually worked), your minds would be blown away. The concepts aren't new. The implementation is.

Right, which can be said about virtually any other invention in history. Relativity is what we are talking about in this topic, though. 

And as I said before, the computer mouse was the motion controller for gaming, and in no way credits anyone that currently has anything to do with video games.

i knew about dream eye its so cool im thinking of buying it but there so rare to find (especially an NA version). sony definitely ripped the playstation eye from dreamcast (which ill sadly admit)

You forgot Le Stick