By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony & Nintendo did not invent Motion -Control

Bamboleo said:

Oh and just for the perfect pwnage combo, I have some bullshit comments form Sony about motion control from 2007:

"I think the notion of that controller is a non-trivial point that you’ve brought up, that control and that familiarity is like comfort food - from my perspective, we lead, we don’t follow. And as a brand, Nintendo’s got their thing, and we’re not trying to get the senior citizen group to get into gaming"

", but we’d never consider iterating off of existing competitive technology - because we think that’s a fad and that’s not the way we approach product development. It’s not the way we approach the marketing or the branding of PlayStation."

------------\---------------------------\-------------------- 

So Sony "does research" since 2004 on a controller similar to wiimote and nunchuk and troll themselves? ;D

hahahahahahahahahaaaAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

ha.

Invention: Magic wand for gamers

For over 30 years, Barry Fox has trawled the world's weird and wonderful patent applications each week, digging out the most exciting, intriguing and even terrifying new ideas. His column, Invention, is now available exclusively online. Please send us your feedback.

Magic wand

PlayStation gamers are always looking for exciting new ways to control the onscreen action, but using a camera to track a player's body movement has not worked reliably, admits Sony. The camera gets confused by other things in the room.

Sony's new idea is to plug a webcam into the console, and give the gamer a handheld wand similar to a pocket flashlight. The wand has a battery, a few mouse-like buttons and several different coloured LEDs that can be switched on and off in various combinations.

By pressing the buttons and waving the wand towards the webcam, the gamer can click to shoot aliens, drag-and-drop images on screen and navigate menus.

The webcam is tuned to see only pure bright colours and map their motion in space, so it can ignore ordinary room lights. And if two people have wands with different coloured LEDs, they can play against each other.

Read about Sony's gaming wand here (pdf format).

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn7890

So once again How would a

WAND

BE DESIGNED?

Sony's new idea is to plug a webcam into the console, and give the gamer a handheld wand similar to a pocket flashlight. The wand has a battery, a few mouse-like buttons and several different coloured LEDs that can be switched on and off in various combinations.

By pressing the buttons and waving the wand towards the webcam, the gamer can click to shoot aliens, drag-and-drop images on screen and navigate menus.

THE CURRENT DESIGN OF THE MOVE SURE IS DESCRIBED BY THAT TO A TEE.

this is fram a design by Sony from 2004

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network
Lord Flashheart said:
joeorc said:

you and other's keep posting that , but are missing the real point:

HOW ELSE DO YOU DESIGN A WAND?

HUH?

ONCE AGAIN

DREAMCAST'S:

I've never seen that before. What was it called?

Dreamcast Wand it was a prototype controller in 1998

an as you can see there was a gun attachment for it also.

top right of the picture.

the Key is what's old is new again..

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Carl2291 said:
leo-j said:
It doesn't matter

people will continue to say SONY ripped off Nintendo even if you show them a video of sony showing motion controller tech back in 2004

Pretty much!

panasonic23 said:
Nintendo made motion control main stream and that a good thing

Sony made home console gaming "main stream", twice. Does that mean Sony invented the thing?

I agree with both things you said there.

leo-j said:
It doesn't matter

people will continue to say SONY ripped off Nintendo even if you show them a video of sony showing motion controller tech back in 2004

of course, that's because it's true!!....evil evil Sony!

llewdebkram said:
leo-j said:
It doesn't matter

of course, that's because it's true!!....evil evil Sony!

that's because it's not trure..though one could say Sony is Evil just like any other big corperation.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Around the Network
Naum said:
gamelover2000 said:
why are Nintendo fans so angry? Nintendo doesn't care about you so why care about them? care about the Wii not the company behind it..

and after all competition gives quality.. Nintendo 1st party has so far been unappealing to basically everyone I know.. (with exeptions, but few)

I would like to hear what Sony could POSSIBLY do that would hurt Nintendo..

Take away Wii sales? Wii sales are super high right now and 3rd party studio's are massively backing down on developing for the Wii.. so that's definetly not a big concern

Wow really? for me it's the other way around, basically everyone I know thinks that just NSMBW by itself is appealing enough.

Really? I do not know of one single person interested in this game. We all feel we played this game many many years ago. Only then with different power ups and only 1 player. When I sat down and played it, I had fun, but I kinda felt I had played and finished NSMB Wii 14 years ago only then in its original skin. Adding 4 player, new power ups and new level design aren't really big enough changes in 14 years. Yeah the game is fun, but I'm still hating on it for the lack of quality and innovation. Because to be honest, I would rather play Super Mario World on my SNES or SMB3 on my NES. It would be the same as playing NSMB Wii, only much better.

Anyways... WAAAAY Off-topic.

Motion controls suck imo. Most of the good Wii games does not use a lot of motion controls (SMG, Super Paper Mario), or don't use them at all (Mario Kart, SSBB, optional). That's why I don't give a rats ass about who copied who. Only thing I know for a fact is that Sony released the Eye Toy on the PS2 and showed many tech demos of their technology.

@ Dreamcast waggle sensor

The word prototype says it all...

And it doesn't look any close to wiimote and nunchuk design.

Some 3 or 4 people in here will never admit that ps move is a rip off.

Just google: "Sony copies Nintendo" and see for yourselves...

elmerion said:
Whats the point of this topic? creating a flame war?

The reason why people say Sony ripped Nintendo is not because of the motion controls, ITS BECAUSE THE WIIMOTE LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE SONY WANK, the only difference is the ball in the tip of the wank, not to mention the software its wii sports + realism!!

ditto
move=Wiimote+Lollipop(talking 'bout the look)

joeorc said:
tehsage said:
joeorc said:
tehsage said:
elticker said:
yeah and nintendo fans say sony ripped off their motion controls, rofl, hipocrits.

As a Nintendo fan, I'm more or less upset that Sony couldn't come up with a better design than "Take the Wiimote and paint it black."

lol..how else do you make a "wand"?

the shape of each are not the same Sony's are more wand like the Wii mote is more "remote" like

so it's not a Wiimote painted black.

Dude.

versus

They don't look similar AT ALL. =/ I'm glad Sony made a motion controller. We'll see some awesome games coming. I am a little disappointed in the route they went to make the controller.

you and other's keep posting that , but are missing the real point:

HOW ELSE DO YOU DESIGN A WAND?

HUH?

ONCE AGAIN

DREAMCAST'S:

HERE WAS Sony's design back in 2004

For over 30 years, Barry Fox has trawled the world's weird and wonderful patent applications each week, digging out the most exciting, intriguing and even terrifying new ideas. His column, Invention, is now available exclusively online. Please send us your feedback.

Magic wand

PlayStation gamers are always looking for exciting new ways to control the onscreen action, but using a camera to track a player's body movement has not worked reliably, admits Sony. The camera gets confused by other things in the room.

The webcam is tuned to see only pure bright colours and map their motion in space, so it can ignore ordinary room lights. And if two people have wands with different coloured LEDs, they can play against each other.

Read about Sony's gaming wand here (pdf format).

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn7890

So ONCE AGAIN HOW WOULD YOU DESIGN A "WAND".

Some people just seems to ignore these posts for some reason :D

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Bamboleo said:

@ Dreamcast waggle sensor

The word prototype says it all...

And it doesn't look any close to wiimote and nunchuk design.

Some 3 or 4 people in here will never admit that ps move is a rip off.

Just google: "Sony copies Nintendo" and see for yourselves...

o'l because the search engine said so huh?

it seem's some fans do not want to admit , that sometime's companies have the same IDEA's at the same time.

I AM BOLO

ps: