By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 360 Slim + Nata l...how can Sony counter?...Is GT5 enough?

nightsurge said:
supercat said:
nightsurge said:
supercat said:
Assuming that the 360slim is indeed a fact, and i'll say that this is probably going to happen imho, it doesn't look like it will have the same impact as the PS3 slim design.

Why?

-The 360 started off smaller than the PS3 so the 360 already has had a slim design
-The 360 was much more unreliable as far as heating than the PS3. And therefore, the 360 won't be able to reduce size as much as if heat was never a big deal.

Those two factors will limit as to how much MS will be able to trim down the 360.

So, in summary, if MS can knock off a few bucks on production cost great for them, but I dont see how this will be that big of a deal.

The only problem is that your 2 factors are flawed.

The 360 while originally smaller than the PS3 is filled with empty space.  Plenty of room to reorganize and shrink things, unlike the PS3 which has always been packed full inside.

Also, heat was only an issue because of the stupid layout of the 360's internals.  No fan blowing air over the heatsinks.  A DVD drive RIGHT above a burning hot GPU, and only a weak/loud exhaust fan.  The 360 slim fixes this a lot by combining the CPU/GPU under one heatsink and puting a fan on top of it (hopefully, if the leaked photo is any indication).  The mobo shrank by multiple inches both horizontal and vertical.  If anything, shrinking it is going to help the heat situation a lot more.

Now, as to why this will be a big deal.  MS has already said they are treating Natal as a whole new system launch.  Expect to see a rebranding with a humungous advertising campaign behind the 360 this fall.  MS is the king of advertising and I expect the 360 slim to be a huge hit with Natal.

shrinking the thing will help the heat situation?  wtf?

Yup.  Anyone with good knowledge of PC components and how heat moves combined with knowledge of the 360 components can tell you this.

As the 360 is now, all there are 2 chips with 2 heatsinks and tons of open space for heat to just sit and bake the 360.  The slim would drop it to one chip and one heatsink with better fan placement to solve those problems very easily.

you make it sound easy, if that was the case dont you think microsoft would have been able to make a non faulty hardware in the first place?

Around the Network
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
we shouldnt be talking about a 360 slim until we know its actually coming, for some reason though i doubt that. could microsoft pull that off? i mean the 360's we have now cant even handle being turned on for an hour.

Hahahaha you're funny.  Enjoy your ban.

nightsurge said:
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
we shouldnt be talking about a 360 slim until we know its actually coming, for some reason though i doubt that. could microsoft pull that off? i mean the 360's we have now cant even handle being turned on for an hour.

Hahahaha you're funny.  Enjoy your ban.

will do

solidsnake is right. My 360 gets grumpy and yells when its on for over an hour. Then it scratches my disc. Then it waits till i try a different game to scratch it as well before it RROD's, becomes engulfed in flames, and sets my house on fire. Yes my 360 always gets the last laugh =(.

enrageorange said:
solidsnake is right. My 360 gets grumpy and yells when its on for over an hour. Then it scratches my disc. Then it waits till i try a different game to scratch it as well before it RROD's, becomes engulfed in flames, and sets my house on fire. Yes my 360 always gets the last laugh =(.

Lol, at least SolidSnake will have some company

Around the Network

What about The Last Guardian??

I bought my PS3 fot that game (and Uncharted)

MY ZELDA COLLECTION

This may or may not take place...But to me it makes absolutely perfect sense when you start connecting the dots. I assume the 360 Slim is real and on the way.
As well as a $50 price cut to accompany their new slim models, or keeping the pricing structure the same but bundling Natal with the 360.

Sony has witnessed ridiculous (Possibly unseen amounts of popularity with the price cut / Slim PS3). The PS3 is almost impossible to find in any store. My brother went around looking for a PS3 for the past week at about 5 different Wal Marts / Game Stops / etc. No where to be found.

My very good friend is a manager of the local area of Wal Mart. Basically, the long and short of it is this friend received an email from higher ups concerning the fact that they aren't getting many shipments of PS3s and the supply is constrained because Sony plans on releasing a PS4.

Now, when I first heard this...I felt there was absolutely no way this would happen. Which I still don't believe it. But thinking of the casual person referring to a video game console they very well could mean a PS3 Slimmer Slim for this fall and most likely another 50$ price cut.

It would be a perfect move for Sony to completely squash any 360 momentum that they will have with their own upgrades. Especially with plenty of pent up demand. It also would possibly prove for the perfect tipping point for them to flex their price flexibility muscle. It also would put some belief into the rumors of a new slim well on it's way and would also play into the hype that Sony has been touting for E3.