By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Exactly Is Jim Sterling Reviewing? Not Much Apparently

Spagoodle said:
epicurean said:
Almi said:
Spagoodle said:

I'm going to do this one last time for those of you who don't know what the fuck you talking about.

Developers do not send retail copy's to reviewers. Reviewers have things call debug kits. They download the game from a service like PartnetNet http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PartnerNet or the file is sent directly to them. WHEN YOU PLAY A GAME ON A DEBUG THERE ARE NO TROPHIES/ACHIEVEMENTS.

You guys can keep ignoring the facts. those screen shots prove nothing but how far he played it on a retail copy. For those of you who still can't figure it out he didn't review it based off of that play through. You guys are wrong and are talking out of your ass. When you take a shit on someone integrity you should try to not talk absolute shit in the process.

/thread

i couldn't care less about him not finishing the game or giving it a bad review, but are you seriously saying he actually played through that awful 4/10 game again just to get the trophies (which he apparently doesn't care for, otherwise he would be higher than level 6)?

This is what I was going to say.  So he absolutely hated this game, yet he played it a second time 75% of the way through just to get the trophies?  You really believe this?  I'd really like to know your opinion on this, Spagoodle.

I don't really care, I'm playing the game now, so reviews don't really matter at this point - but I find your logic hard to believe.

I can't speak to his reason for playing it again. I know that some games run a little better on the retail version. Lost Odyssey for example had frame rate issues when it came to the review code that didn't show up in the game. Some reviews even went so far as to amend their reviews after getting a retail copy.

Secondly this isn't "my logic". Its a how games are reviewed by professional reviewers. Choose to believe what ever you want. The fact is this is how the majority of games get reviewed. Some games are not released to the press early, the shitty Tony Hawk Ride comes to mind, but the vast majority are and major release always are. Unfortunately for you junior detectives this issue has been raised a number of times by others unsatisfied readers after a games they enjoyed got panned. And the reason for this is always the same and simple... debug = no achievements/ trophies. deal with it.

Huh.  Looks like you were wrong.  Guess some of us DO know "What the fuck we are talking about."

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

Around the Network
twesterm said:
He has actually posted an answer and it's a good read:
http://www.destructoid.com/the-joys-of-being-a-videogame-reviewer-167383.phtml

I've never played Final Fantasy and I've never heard of the guy outside of a couple of forum thread's. His response though makes me a little ashamed to be a gamer, people are taking gaming way to seriously this gen and it's starting to resemble religious fanaticism. Anyway I now have a new found respect for Jim Sterling and I hope he stick's to his gun's in the future.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Although I 'm not questioning the fact that a reviewer should play plenty of the game to make an informed review about the game, I DO wonder how many people would be in arms if he just gave the game 8/10 and only played ten minutes? Probably nobody would know and nobody would go investigate. Hypocrisy at its best though.

papflesje said:
Although I 'm not questioning the fact that a reviewer should play plenty of the game to make an informed review about the game, I DO wonder how many people would be in arms if he just gave the game 8/10 and only played ten minutes? Probably nobody would know and nobody would go investigate. Hypocrisy at its best though.

Very true.  Though lots of those comments in the article looked like they were bashing him just for the score, and had nothing to do with him not finishing the game.  Though that seems even worse...

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

Score-staring is also hugely annoying as a reviewer. You can pour your heart into writing a good piece and it often goes "omfg, only 90" ... /sigh

Around the Network
papflesje said:
Score-staring is also hugely annoying as a reviewer. You can pour your heart into writing a good piece and it often goes "omfg, only 90" ... /sigh

Let's get real here, it's not like he gave the game a 7/10.

He gave it 4/10!

He knew how people would react to that score. There was no objectivity at all in that review. I expect a lot more objectivity from a reviewer except the fun factor of course which can't really be objective.

Personally, I learned not to trust reviews much nowadays but a lot of people do and if Destructoid was not on metacritic, no one would care about that review.

Even Bioware directors said FFXIII was at the bottom of their list because they read some reviews and were not impressed with the game.

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/03/16/bioware-head-ff-xiii-quot-on-the-bottom-of-my-list-right-now-quot.aspx

I mean come on! We all know FFXIII is good enough if you like RPGs in general.

Plus, when you read his review, I have a really hard time understanding how his arguments justifies the score. He's just whining and complaining about insignificant stuff. It's just trolling at it's best. He's not even the one who made the preview and the guy who made the preview loved the game so far. They just want hits. I think the facts speaks for themselves.

I'll just ignore Sterling from now on.

/rant

Boutros said:
papflesje said:

He gave it 4/10!

He knew how people would react to that score. There was no objectivity at all in that review. I expect a lot more objectivity from a reviewer except the fun factor of course which can't really be objective.

Personally, I learned not to trust reviews much nowadays but a lot of people do and if Destructoid was not on metacritic, no one would care about that review.

Even Bioware directors said FFXIII was at the bottom of their list because they read some reviews and were not impressed with the game.

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/03/16/bioware-head-ff-xiii-quot-on-the-bottom-of-my-list-right-now-quot.aspx

Plus, when you read his review, I have a really hard time understanding how his arguments justifies the score. He's just whining and complaining about insignificant stuff. It's just trolling at it's best. He's not even the one who made the preview and the guy who made the preview loved the game so far. They just want hits. I think the facts speaks for themselves.

/rant

He wasn't objective... because he didn't change his score based on how people would react.

Do you and I have different definitions of objective here?

As for the insignificant stuff... he complained about the story, gameplay and bosses.

The one positive he had was the graphics...

I mean... what?

Boutros said:

He gave it 4/10!

/rant

I thought he was more objective than most other reviewers. He pointed out some major, crippling flaws with the game that most others just glossed over because "OMG look at those cutscenes!!"

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

@Kasz216

I also agree it should get a little bump due to price. Did Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts get it due to it's $39.99 price? That is worth looking into.

As for the discussion on reviews, I honestly think they should completely do away with the whole scoring system. If we get rid of scores people might actually read reviews instead.

9 times out of 10 the scores do not reflect well with the writing itself, for example you could have a review that knocks a game for having tired formula and average graphics meanwhile the entire remaining portion of that review will be nothing but absolute praise. The readers just see the score and think "7/10? WTF?!!!", yet it that review was read they would still realize that they say the game itself is fantastic.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Kasz216 said:
Boutros said:
papflesje said:

He gave it 4/10!

/rant

He wasn't objective... because he didn't change his score based on how people would react.

Do you and I have different definitions of objective here?

I'm not sure I want to get in a philosophical argument here but I think things like graphics, music, story and even gamplay should be evaluated with a more objective view point than things like the fun factor for example. I mean the guy can ask other reviewers at destructoid what they think of the graphics, the music, the story and the gamplay a little like what vgchartz is doing with their review.

I, for instance, disliked The Dark Knight but I can still see how everything about the movie was awesome. I would still give the movie a good score because I know how to put personnal stuff aside and judge something with a more objective view point.

And I know you're going to tell me that objective can be different from one person to another. Then I wouldn't know what to tell you lol

I guess you have to compare stuff with other things in order to get a more objective view point.