By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Exactly Is Jim Sterling Reviewing? Not Much Apparently

http://dualshockers.com/2010/03/17/what-exactly-is-jim-sterling-reviewing-not-much-apparently/

As many of you may have seen, Destructoid’s Jim Sterling wrote a less than stellar review for Final Fantasy XIII (4/10). One of his tweets read:

Jim_Sterling: I am officially done with Final Fantasy XIII. That last chapter is an egregious mess of bulls***.

Sterling wrote all over twitter about how bad the game was; he is entitled to his opinion, however,  because at the end of the day that’s what a review essentially is. That opinion may  have quite possibly been tainted, especially considering he never finished the game -and we have proof to show it. Please enjoy exhibit A below.

Did someone forget to do something?

Now, not all games have an actual ending to them. But a game like Final Fantasy – which is based so heavily on story – simply cannot be reviewed unless it’s completed. If you think that’s bad, it doesn’t end there folks. Upon further investigation there are many more questionable reviews that are now popping up.

Now, one can look at this and say “Wait a minute. Maybe he didn’t sync his trophies!” While you may be correct on behalf of the Final Fantasy review, how about explaining what happened to, oh I dunno, maybe his review of Army of Two: the 40th day. I’m pretty sure he’s done a trophy sync since the release of that game. And, wouldn’t you know it, coincidently he has a review up for the title.

Still don’t believe it? Have a look at his trophies for yourself. You be the judge. http://us.playstation.com/publictrophy/index.htm?onlinename=jim_sterling

Now, as far as actually playing Army of Two, I gave him the benefit of the doubt assuming that it could have been played on the 360, but alas, no proof of that in the image below (considering press copies arrived on or a couple of days before release date).

Someone put out an A.P.B. we've got a missing game on the loose!

If you want to see where this image came from you can check it out here:

http://live.xbox.com/en-US/profile/profile.aspx?pp=0&GamerTag=jim+sterling

We invite Jim Sterling to defend himself and the integrity of his reviews during the next DualShockers ShockCast. Let’s see if he shows.

Around the Network

He's the one who gave FFXIII a 4/10, Assassin's Creed 2 a 4.5/10 and Deadly Premonition a 10/10 -.-

Bring back Chris Roper and get ride of Jim Sterling! lol

He's a giant douche

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

He's also the one who gave Heavy Rain a 7/10.

Just saying ahaha

I don't see FFXIII

And he must like Bioshock 2 O.o

Around the Network

So he got to the end of the game and didn't beat it?

So?

Forgive my ignorance but in a 40+ hour game, is an extra two hours really going to change it from a 4/10 to a 10/10? It appears that he didn't like the story and I suffered through 40+ hours of a story I didn't like I doubt I would want to suffer through any more too.

If he had played the game for 10 hours, maybe I could see the anger, but all the hubbub over him just not finishing the final level?

Yeah... you don't have to play an entire game to review it...

If the game is so bad you actually say "fuck it, i can't get through this"

that's reason enough for a bad review.

Also, you know... Army of two could not be on there because he wasn't on his profile when he played it. 

As much as i generally loathe reviews and the way reviewers act... this is just trolling because they want to complain about his FF13 score.

Most reviewers claim Final Fantasy XIII is linear and stuff like that during the first half of the game but it gets better after that.

And yes I believe a game needs to be completed in order to review it. I think it's quite normal really.

With a face like that, there is nothing the internet community can do to him that life hasn't done already.

Maybe he didn't sync his trophies...like someone else who already posted in this thread