By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Exactly Is Jim Sterling Reviewing? Not Much Apparently

Garcian Smith said:
Boutros said:

Let's get real here, it's not like he gave the game a 7/10.

He gave it 4/10!

He knew how people would react to that score. There was no objectivity at all in that review. I expect a lot more objectivity from a reviewer except the fun factor of course which can't really be objective.

Personally, I learned not to trust reviews much nowadays but a lot of people do and if Destructoid was not on metacritic, no one would care about that review.

Even Bioware directors said FFXIII was at the bottom of their list because they read some reviews and were not impressed with the game.

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/03/16/bioware-head-ff-xiii-quot-on-the-bottom-of-my-list-right-now-quot.aspx

I mean come on! We all know FFXIII is good enough if you like RPGs in general.

Plus, when you read his review, I have a really hard time understanding how his arguments justifies the score. He's just whining and complaining about insignificant stuff. It's just trolling at it's best. He's not even the one who made the preview and the guy who made the preview loved the game so far. They just want hits. I think the facts speaks for themselves.

I'll just ignore Sterling from now on.

/rant

I thought he was more objective than most other reviewers. He pointed out some major, crippling flaws with the game that most others just glossed over because "OMG look at those cutscenes!!"

What are thos majors flaws?

I'm playing the game and I can't see any of them.

It makes me wonder why WKC got a 6/10 from them. It was way way more flawed than FFXIII. I mean everything is better in FFXIII (especially the gameplay actually).

Around the Network
Boutros said:
Kasz216 said:
Boutros said:
papflesje said:
Score-staring is also hugely annoying as a reviewer. You can pour your heart into writing a good piece and it often goes "omfg, only 90" ... /sigh

Let's get real here, it's not like he gave the game a 7/10.

He gave it 4/10!

He knew how people would react to that score. There was no objectivity at all in that review. I expect a lot more objectivity from a reviewer except the fun factor of course which can't really be objective.

Personally, I learned not to trust reviews much nowadays but a lot of people do and if Destructoid was not on metacritic, no one would care about that review.

Even Bioware directors said FFXIII was at the bottom of their list because they read some reviews and were not impressed with the game.

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/03/16/bioware-head-ff-xiii-quot-on-the-bottom-of-my-list-right-now-quot.aspx

I mean come on! We all know FFXIII is good enough if you like RPGs in general.

Plus, when you read his review, I have a really hard time understanding how his arguments justifies the score. He's just whining and complaining about insignificant stuff. It's just trolling at it's best. He's not even the one who made the preview and the guy who made the preview loved the game so far. They just want hits. I think the facts speaks for themselves.

I'll just ignore Sterling from now on.

/rant

He wasn't objective... because he didn't change his score based on how people would react.

Do you and I have different definitions of objective here?

I'm not sure I want to get in a philosophical argument here but I think things like graphics, music, story and even gamplay should be evaluated with a more objective view point than things like the fun factor for example. I mean the guy can ask other reviewers at destructoid what they think of the graphics, the music, the story and the gamplay a little like what vgchartz is doing with their review.

I, for instance, disliked The Dark Knight but I can still see how everything about the movie was awesome. I would still give the movie a good score because I know how to put personnal stuff aside and judge something with a more objective view point.

And I know you're going to tell me that objective can be different from one person to another. Then I wouldn't know what to tell you lol

I guess you have to compare stuff with other things in order to get a more objective view point.

Uniformity =/= objectivity.

No reviewer is currently objective... and due to that... the ones who aren't uniform are of MUCH greater value.

For example, take a look at the Wii collection and some games that get downright awful scores... yet look how popular they are... objectivly, a lot of them probably would score higher then Final Fantasy games would.

Look at movie reviews.  Movie reviewers have MUCH more stringent criteria.  They go to school specifically to learn about films so they can know enough about them to be objective in reviews.

Roger Ebert can find a movie he dislikes but give it 5 stars if he thinks it's good.  Gene Shalot can like that same movie and give it 2 stars.

Objectivity is nothing more then shutting out the biases you may have and giving a fair evaluation based on the history of the medium your reviewing.  Often times you are still going to reach different conclusions then other people.

The fact that review scores are all so closely crowded together is actually a sign of the LACK of objectivity.  Because your not really reviewing the game anymore... your reviewing what you think other people will review the game at... which leads itself to bias itself just based on names.

Boutros said:

It makes me wonder why WKC got a 6/10 from them. It was way way more flawed than FFXIII. I mean everything is better in FFXIII (especially the gameplay actually).

Absurd, poorly paced, and "vaguely comprehensible" story with one-dimensional characters, trial-and-error battles that play themselves for you, an almost complete lack of player choice, almost no side-quests until you're 30 hours in, and a lackluster soundtrack, among others.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Garcian Smith said:
Boutros said:

Absurd, poorly paced, and "vaguely comprehensible" story with one-dimensional characters, trial-and-error battles that play themselves for you, an almost complete lack of player choice, almost no side-quests until you're 30 hours in, and a lackluster soundtrack, among others.

Does that not make sense to anyone else?

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

epicurean said:

He complained that the battles require some minimum amount of involvement, such that you can't just watch the game play itself for you. But only barely.

It's in the review. Read it.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network
Garcian Smith said:
epicurean said:

He complained that the battles require some minimum amount of involvement, such that you can't just watch the game play itself for you. But only barely.

I know exactly what he means, but it's also a contridiction, that's all. 

@ boutros: I'm not saying anything about the review itself, just how people often react to reviews and how that in itself can be hypocritical as well.

Garcian Smith said:
epicurean said:

Don't learn to set your paradigms correctly and when to switch during battles and you're toast.

The battle system gives you the option for auto-battle but it isn't necessary. You can play this game entirely manual if you wish.

FFXII was a game where you can sit back and watch it play for you but it didn't get criticism like this.

I also wonder why everyone says the story is hard to understand. I have no problems following it and I haven't touched the datalog.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
Garcian Smith said:
epicurean said:

Don't learn to set your paradigms correctly and when to switch during battles and you're toast.

The battle system gives you the option for auto-battle but it isn't necessary. You can play this game entirely manual if you wish.

FFXII was a game where you can sit back and watch it play for you but it didn't get criticism like this.

I also wonder why everyone says the story is hard to understand. I have no problems following it and I haven't touched the datalog.

I haven't even begun to criticize the review from an opinion standpoint, but everything you just said is dead on.  Changing the paradigms correctly is vital.  And if he didn't like the fact that the battles play themselves for you, then take control of every single input.  I do it a lot when I want to do a specific attack.  The game gives you a choice.

I don't have a problem with the story either, but that's purely opinion.  Though not being able to follow it seems....odd.

I don't really care what he thinks though...I'm playing it and am happy with it.  Talking about it on threads such as these does help pass the time though...

Euphoria14 said:
Garcian Smith said:
epicurean said:

The amount of critisism for the battle system for FFXII was immense...