By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Exactly Is Jim Sterling Reviewing? Not Much Apparently

Spagoodle said:

I'm going to do this one last time for those of you who don't know what the fuck you talking about.

Developers do not send retail copy's to reviewers. Reviewers have things call debug kits. They download the game from a service like PartnetNet http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PartnerNet or the file is sent directly to them. WHEN YOU PLAY A GAME ON A DEBUG THERE ARE NO TROPHIES/ACHIEVEMENTS.

You guys can keep ignoring the facts. those screen shots prove nothing but how far he played it on a retail copy. For those of you who still can't figure it out he didn't review it based off of that play through. You guys are wrong and are talking out of your ass. When you take a shit on someone integrity you should try to not talk absolute shit in the process.

/thread

So why do you see websites like Joystick give away there review copies of a game in competitions. Also if someone gave a game 4/10 I highly doubt they would buy the retail version of the game they rated so low and play right the way through to nearly the end again.

I don't doubt that he finished the game. As I said before he must not have synched his trophies after finishing the game and therefore the servers arn't showing his last earned but you are wrong about the debug kits. Not all reviewers use that service

Around the Network
epicurean said:
Almi said:
Spagoodle said:

I'm going to do this one last time for those of you who don't know what the fuck you talking about.

Developers do not send retail copy's to reviewers. Reviewers have things call debug kits. They download the game from a service like PartnetNet http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PartnerNet or the file is sent directly to them. WHEN YOU PLAY A GAME ON A DEBUG THERE ARE NO TROPHIES/ACHIEVEMENTS.

You guys can keep ignoring the facts. those screen shots prove nothing but how far he played it on a retail copy. For those of you who still can't figure it out he didn't review it based off of that play through. You guys are wrong and are talking out of your ass. When you take a shit on someone integrity you should try to not talk absolute shit in the process.

/thread

i couldn't care less about him not finishing the game or giving it a bad review, but are you seriously saying he actually played through that awful 4/10 game again just to get the trophies (which he apparently doesn't care for, otherwise he would be higher than level 6)?

This is what I was going to say.  So he absolutely hated this game, yet he played it a second time 75% of the way through just to get the trophies?  You really believe this?  I'd really like to know your opinion on this, Spagoodle.

I don't really care, I'm playing the game now, so reviews don't really matter at this point - but I find your logic hard to believe.

I can't speak to his reason for playing it again. I know that some games run a little better on the retail version. Lost Odyssey for example had frame rate issues when it came to the review code that didn't show up in the game. Some reviews even went so far as to amend their reviews after getting a retail copy.

Secondly this isn't "my logic". Its a how games are reviewed by professional reviewers. Choose to believe what ever you want. The fact is this is how the majority of games get reviewed. Some games are not released to the press early, the shitty Tony Hawk Ride comes to mind, but the vast majority are and major release always are. Unfortunately for you junior detectives this issue has been raised a number of times by others unsatisfied readers after a games they enjoyed got panned. And the reason for this is always the same and simple... debug = no achievements/ trophies. deal with it.

That response was incredibly lame. Spent more time attacking his critics than talking about the actual issue at hand.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Kasz216 said:

Also, i'll note Roger EBERT reviews movies he walked out of.

This is one of the most respected movie reviewers in a field of critical review that is MUCH more advanced then Video Games.

In fact... Roger Ebert reviewed Tru Loved... a movie he walked out on.

How long into the movie was he? 8 minutes.

"In some way, a film must seal the deal with us. It must make us willing to watch to the end. Even when a film doesn't do that for me, I keep watching because, if nothing else, I can get evidence for a negative review.

With this film, I believed I had all the ammo I needed, not involving the movie's story, but its competence. It did not seal the deal. It left me with no confidence that it would be able to. If nothing else, I hope the review reflected the stream of consciousness that can take place when a movie loses a viewer's sympathy and goes wrong."

I believe the same holds true for videogames. 

I completely agree.  That is exactly how I felt 8 minutes into the first Resident Evil (game, not movie).

outlawauron said:
That response was incredibly lame. Spent more time attacking his critics than talking about the actual issue at hand.

That's because there is no issue.

Did you miss my post where Roger Ebert stopped watching a movie and reviewed it after 8 minutes?

If is a game is so shitty it makes a reviewer quit halfway... it deserves it's score... because it was so shitty it caused someone to quit half way.

The second half of a game could be Half Life 2... if the first half is Big Motha truckers... it doesn't matter.

If a critic, someone who LOVES videogames, feels he has to quit halfway through... the game is the one at fault and who has broken the contract of makign an engaging game.

Around the Network
twesterm said:
He has actually posted an answer and it's a good read:
http://www.destructoid.com/the-joys-of-being-a-videogame-reviewer-167383.phtml

Yeah I see his problem.   His favorite Final Fantasies appear to be 4, 5 and 9.  Also he liked Final Fantasy 8.  The hell?

I disagree with his review, but I don't think the hate on him is justified, or critisizing him for not beating the last boss before reviewing it. It's fanboy lameness.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Boutros said:
He's the one who gave FFXIII a 4/10, Assassin's Creed 2 a 4.5/10 and Deadly Premonition a 10/10 -.-

Bring back Chris Roper and get ride of Jim Sterling! lol

No no...chris roper is best to be gone from reviewing anything, and Ryan Clements from IGN should be next in line. Also, somebody should burn EDGE down to the ground...

gekkokamen said:
Boutros said:
He's the one who gave FFXIII a 4/10, Assassin's Creed 2 a 4.5/10 and Deadly Premonition a 10/10 -.-

No no...chris roper is best to be gone from reviewing anything, and Ryan Clements from IGN should be next in line. Also, somebody should burn EDGE down to the ground...

everybody should just stop giving their opinions, and a custom site should be built where you tell it what you want a game to get and it generates a review custom made to tell you what you want to hear.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

The_vagabond7 said:
gekkokamen said:
Boutros said:

everybody should just stop giving their opinions, and a custom site should be built where you tell it what you want a game to get and it generates a review custom made to tell you what you want to hear.

That's brilliant!