By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is anyone tired of saving the world over and over again in jrpgs?

I don't want to be a jerk, but it's called trying MW2. You save the world from Russians!

Damn it! I double failed.

Around the Network

Well in every game you have to save something, right? I can't find a game where you don't have to save something...

OT7 said:
it's fun to save the world on games.
Make you feel over powered,righteous,important and part of something really big.
If the game is good then here we go,although is refreshing to play some games that don't involve such a task,is like playing just for pure joy,without the nerve of feeling that you're screawing the entire planet because your actions on a game.

@Oxy: Well,on Gears of War and Resistance you have to stop human's annihilation,that counts for me as "saving the world" and in Tomb Raider's games you have to prevent mystical,powerful devices to end on wrong hands,counts like "saving the world" to me too,just to name a few of your examples.

Gears and Resistance were part of my examples of you not being directly responsible for the world's survival. You're merely a part of the effort. I can't be positive on Resistance since I've only played the demo, but that's how I heard the storyline was. Just to be clear also, I'm talking about the first entry in both series. I know the sequels begin to get a little "Save the World" like. Regarding Tomb Raider, I suppose it's possible one or more of the games has Lara saving the world from something, but from the ones I've played she's taxed with doing something or stopping something that isn't in danger of ruling or destroying the earth.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Well, I'm 90% sure in Rhapsody (PS, then ported to DS) you don't save the world. You just have to save the prince. I don't think that you end up saving the world in the process.

And yeah, I don't really mind if saving the world is involved in the plot. For example, I just today finished Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World, and while I guess you are trying to save the world from being overtaken by demons, the main driving point of the story is more the main character discovering who he is. At least, thats how I saw it. Saving the world just helps a lot of games have a clear driving force.

Zucas said:
Christhor said:
Doesn't this go for practicly every game out there?

True.  Really, just like the movie industry, things generally have to be larger than life, because life is everyday, normal, and therefore boring if recreated.  I mean in the words of Awesome Center, "My sister has cancer.  Zombie cancer."  Probably one of the reasons I get bored with simulation games.  I mean I don't want to save some town from an uncoming hurricane, I want to stop the terrorists, Hitler, and the Legion of Doom from trying to kill Jesus. 

Well you've got the right reason, but you just proved why all these games are doing it wrong.  Why do we have to save the world in the same way every time?  Why can't we stop zombie cancer from killing your sister or stop the Legion of Doom from killing Jesus in a video game?  We're always saving a sad hopeless world from a giant evil darkness or one crazy guy with a complex.

I don't have a problem with saving the same world or the same princess over and over again, as long as it can be done in a fresh new way or with some good jokes.

And this just reminds me yet again why Katamari Damacy is one of the best games.  You don't save the galaxy in that game.  In fact the whole galaxy is destroyed by your drunk father in the intro.  The whole game is you building a new galaxy while he's hungover and bossing you around.  But there is a level where you stack up all the countries on Earth to stop a meteor, DAMN!

Around the Network
hatmoza said:
I agree! I want to save a princess in a JRPG for once.

Have you tried White Knight Chronicle?

Play Disgaea: why saved the world when you can conquer it and become the next.... OVERLORD!!!!!!!!!!!! *queue evil overlord laugh*

mibuokami said:
Play Disgaea: why saved the world when you can conquer it and become the next.... OVERLORD!!!!!!!!!!!! *queue evil overlord laugh*

Well, as soon as I read the title of this post I thought "wouldn't it be great to play Sephiroth for one time?". I think it would be epic to be the bad guy who wants to destroy the world, just because he clearly sees there is no way of saving it and it is way too much fucked up.

hatmoza said:
I agree! I want to save a princess in a JRPG for once.

how about saving a PRINCE :P

hatmoza said:

lol great stuff

although how emo would cloud get then?  heck just a final fantasy 7 platformer woohoo