By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is anyone tired of saving the world over and over again in jrpgs?

rocketpig said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Onyxmeth said:
Christhor said:
Doesn't this go for practicly every game out there?

Not really. There's typically a main antagonist in most games, so in that respect yes, but there are tons of non-RPGs that don't involve saving the world and deal in smaller conflicts. I think that's the main issue is that it always has to be ridiculously large scale in an RPG, and the world and or universe is always in immenent danger and you must save it personally. I'll stick with popular to semi-popular games here that don't involve saving the world either at all or directly. Resident Evil, Grand Theft Auto, Gears of War, Resistance: Fall of Man, Hitman, Condemned: Criminal Origins, Dead Rising, Tomb Raider, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, Left 4 Dead, Saints Row, and many, many more. There's a laundry list of games that deal in small scale conflicts that either don't end in you saving the world if there is a world saving conflict going on, or the world simply isn't in any danger at all regardless of the outcome of the game.

I wouldn't argue that the world itself is in danger in Gears of War, but you're still fighting for humanity (and pretty much 90% of the important things are done solely by Delta Squad). I don't know if that one is such a good example. 

The difference is that in Gears, you're stopping what would be a Lieutenant of the bad guys, not the leader. You're nothing more than a stop-gap in the first two games. You thwart the enemy but don't actually stop the "big bad guy" from destroying the world.

On the other hand, in many JRPGs, you bascially play a role where a teenager rises to power and kills Hitler. It's really stupid when you think about it.

Marcus Fenix, bad-ass soldier. Goes on mission, kills minor leader of opposition that stops enemy invasion.

Final Fantasy, random teenager with ridiculous ties to maniacal power-hungry madman gains power and destroys enemy, saves world.

Which one sounds more logical?

Well obviously, since Gears is part of a trilogy. You're not going to fight the big, terrorizing villain in the first or second game. I have little doubt that Delta Squad will be instrumental in taking down the Locust Queen (unless there's something like a human-locust alliance or a revelation that the queen is Marcus' mother, both of which would be dumb).

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Onyxmeth said:
Christhor said:

Not really. There's typically a main antagonist in most games, so in that respect yes, but there are tons of non-RPGs that don't involve saving the world and deal in smaller conflicts. I think that's the main issue is that it always has to be ridiculously large scale in an RPG, and the world and or universe is always in immenent danger and you must save it personally. I'll stick with popular to semi-popular games here that don't involve saving the world either at all or directly. Resident Evil, Grand Theft Auto, Gears of War, Resistance: Fall of Man, Hitman, Condemned: Criminal Origins, Dead Rising, Tomb Raider, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, Left 4 Dead, Saints Row, and many, many more. There's a laundry list of games that deal in small scale conflicts that either don't end in you saving the world if there is a world saving conflict going on, or the world simply isn't in any danger at all regardless of the outcome of the game.

I wouldn't argue that the world itself is in danger in Gears of War, but you're still fighting for humanity (and pretty much 90% of the important things are done solely by Delta Squad). I don't know if that one is such a good example. 

The difference is that in Gears, you're stopping what would be a Lieutenant of the bad guys, not the leader. You're nothing more than a stop-gap in the first two games. You thwart the enemy but don't actually stop the "big bad guy" from destroying the world.

On the other hand, in many JRPGs, you bascially play a role where a teenager rises to power and kills Hitler. It's really stupid when you think about it.

Marcus Fenix, bad-ass soldier. Goes on mission, kills minor leader of opposition that stops enemy invasion.

Final Fantasy, random teenager with ridiculous ties to maniacal power-hungry madman gains power and destroys enemy, saves world.

Neither?

No seriously, neither does.

'bad ass soldier' killing hundreds of people will chainsaw guns and endless bullets, a really inefficient way to fight and EASY way to get yourself killed, is just as unrealistic as 'X' teenager from a lonely town who saves the world.  Come on guys, its a game....

And regardless, not every JRPG is about 'x' teenager from a sleepy town.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Too funny

MontanaHatchet said:
rocketpig said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Onyxmeth said:
Christhor said:

Well obviously, since Gears is part of a trilogy. You're not going to fight the big, terrorizing villain in the first or second game. I have little doubt that Delta Squad will be instrumental in taking down the Locust Queen (unless there's something like a human-locust alliance or a revelation that the queen is Marcus' mother, both of which would be dumb).

If it's good enough for Beowulf, it's good enough for Gears.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
MontanaHatchet said:
rocketpig said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Onyxmeth said:
Christhor said:

If it's good enough for Beowulf, it's good enough for Gears.

Win!!