By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is anyone tired of saving the world over and over again in jrpgs?

pariz said:
mibuokami said:
Play Disgaea: why saved the world when you can conquer it and become the next.... OVERLORD!!!!!!!!!!!! *queue evil overlord laugh*

Well, as soon as I read the title of this post I thought "wouldn't it be great to play Sephiroth for one time?". I think it would be epic to be the bad guy who wants to destroy the world, just because he clearly sees there is no way of saving it and it is way too much fucked up.

Disgaea isn't really a game that has a deep dramatic plot ala Final Fantasy. There is very little angst and most of its enjoyment comes from its addictive nature and slapstick humour.

You start the game as the young prince of the netherworld (ala hell) who just woke up from a two year nape only to discover that your father (the ruler of the netherworld) has apparently died from choking on a black pretzel (his favourite snack). From there you attempt to reclaim your kingdom encountering scheming (and often stupid) demons, exploding penguin servants, ditzy angel assassin who fights for L-O-V-E and J-U-S-T-I-C-E, power ranger ripoffs (who only have 3 colours because they don't have enough friends), stereotype-mocking heroes of justice (who gets defeated and become your vassal) and some of the most engagingly funny dialogue to come out of an RPG. I was literally laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes at some of the scenes.

So yea, Disgaea doesn't take itself too seriously (which is absolutely great).

But as for actually playing an all out bad guy in an JRPG? That would be interesting but the story would have too little mainstream appeal and can only ever achieve greatness by being absolutely niche.

Around the Network
Onyxmeth said:
OT7 said:
it's fun to save the world on games.
Make you feel over powered,righteous,important and part of something really big.
If the game is good then here we go,although is refreshing to play some games that don't involve such a task,is like playing just for pure joy,without the nerve of feeling that you're screawing the entire planet because your actions on a game.

@Oxy: Well,on Gears of War and Resistance you have to stop human's annihilation,that counts for me as "saving the world" and in Tomb Raider's games you have to prevent mystical,powerful devices to end on wrong hands,counts like "saving the world" to me too,just to name a few of your examples.

Gears and Resistance were part of my examples of you not being directly responsible for the world's survival. You're merely a part of the effort. I can't be positive on Resistance since I've only played the demo, but that's how I heard the storyline was. Just to be clear also, I'm talking about the first entry in both series. I know the sequels begin to get a little "Save the World" like. Regarding Tomb Raider, I suppose it's possible one or more of the games has Lara saving the world from something, but from the ones I've played she's taxed with doing something or stopping something that isn't in danger of ruling or destroying the earth.

That's really the key. In western games and movies, the player is often taxed with "saving the world" but the circumstances that surround its saving are vastly different. In many shooters, you help "save the world" but many times, you're just part of a group of people saving it. The feeling is very different. You never get the feeling in Gears that Marcus Fenix is single-handedly tasked with all of humanity's future. Yes, he's an important character but a lot surrounds him stopping the enemy and thwarting their effort (along with many other soldiers). In any case, there's a very different feeling between Gears, Modern Warfare, and Mass Effect. On the other hand, games like The Darkness, Max Payne, or the upcoming Alan Wake don't even bother with world-saving themes. As you said, Tomb Raider largely shys away from that theme as well, as does Uncharted.

My problem with JRPGs is that so many of them feel the exact same. Spiky haired kid with emotional problems is randomly given charge of the world's future, finds female romantic interest to team up with, has mysterious link to crazed villain that is later explained in the story, and ends up rejecting villain's plea to join him in world conquest and saves the world from a monstrous evil.

Yawn. I'm past the age where playing as teenagers is appealing to me, much less playing the same story over and over again. I still play JRPGs but much of the luster has left the genre for me. It's too bloody formulaic. Then again, I have the same problems with space marines but at least there aren't THAT many of them and the games that feature them are often built around either an open world (which gives me options to play how I want) or the game is nearly 100% gameplay-based (eg. Halo), which allows me to mostly ignore the story.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

i think a dark storyline with a plot to destroy something would be a great twist for rpg's...and i know you play the bad guys technically in disgaea but its still a real cartoon like story

I got to save a prince in Barbie and the Three Musketeers. Surprisingly good puzzle-platformer actually. Played kinda like Castlevania III in that you could instantly swap between your characters with their unique powers (climbing, swinging, playing violin, dancing, etc.).

The Ghost of RubangB said:
I got to save a prince in Barbie and the Three Musketeers. Surprisingly good puzzle-platformer actually. Played kinda like Castlevania III in that you could instantly swap between your characters with their unique powers (climbing, swinging, playing violin, dancing, etc.).

Dude, you are SO gay.

Got a ROM for that?

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:

Dude, you are SO gay.

Got a ROM for that?

No.  It's a new Wii game.  My wife and I rented it as a joke, for a change of pace from all the sexist games where women are there to be rescued or for sex appeal, and nothing in between, but it turned out to be much better than we expected.  We found out about it from that weird touchscreen thing at GameStop that shows a bunch of trailers for new games.

Oh, hah, it's a new game. I assumed it was an older game you picked up somewhere.

how is "the world ends with you"? i haven't really bought a ds game since advance wars days of ruin 2 years ago

As this thread has shown, there's plenty of examples of JRPGs where you don't 'save the world'. Or even JRPGs where you do save the world, but in a different fashion than simply the 'Final Fantasy' mold.

The problem is, when most people think of 'JRPGs', they think of 'linear and story driven RPG with tons of pretty graphical effects', aka Final Fantasy. The key is, there's other JRPGs out there besides Final Fantasy and RPGs made in the 'Final Fantasy style'. So if you're looking for JRPGs that simply aren't about saving the world, you can form a list. However, if you're just looking for 'Square/Final Fantasy like' JRPGs that aren't about saving the world, then you have a much narrower selection.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

I will save the world as many times as I can in JRPG's until I die. The formula is a bit cliche, but I was playing them since I was about 4-6 years old and I enjoy the hell outta them!

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix!