By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation Move: or how else would we have made the controller?

Vertigo-X said:
Andysw said:

Wand not a copy of the wii remote. DEAL WITH IT.

Okay, are you people seriously saying that Sony isn't copying Nintendo here? The concept is a blatant rip-off!

hey sparky:

Sony's R&D in 2003-

His wand is made from parts of a hotel clothes hanger and has a brightly colored ball on one end

Sony's R&D in 2005-

Sony's new idea is to plug a webcam into the console, and give the gamer a handheld wand similar to a pocket flashlight. The wand has a battery, a few mouse-like buttons and several different coloured LEDs that can be switched on and off in various combinations.

By pressing the buttons and waving the wand towards the webcam, the gamer can click to shoot aliens, drag-and-drop images on screen and navigate menus.

The webcam is tuned to see only pure bright colours and map their motion in space, so it can ignore ordinary room lights. And if two people have wands with different coloured LEDs, they can play against each other.

SO HOW ELSE DO YOU MAKE AN ELECTRONIC WAND WITH A SPHERE ON TOP?

O'l and if you still think it's a copy:

Wii remote when was it first shown

The controller was revealed at the TGS on October 14, 2005, with the name "Wii Remote" announced April 27, 2006.

SONY's concept of the playstation wand :

Invention: Magic wand for gamers

For over 30 years, Barry Fox has trawled the world's weird and wonderful patent applications each week, digging out the most exciting, intriguing and even terrifying new ideas. His column, Invention, is now available exclusively online. Please send us your feedback.

Magic wand

PlayStation gamers are always looking for exciting new ways to control the onscreen action, but using a camera to track a player's body movement has not worked reliably, admits Sony. The camera gets confused by other things in the room.

Sony's new idea is to plug a webcam into the console, and give the gamer a handheld wand similar to a pocket flashlight. The wand has a battery, a few mouse-like buttons and several different coloured LEDs that can be switched on and off in various combinations.

By pressing the buttons and waving the wand towards the webcam, the gamer can click to shoot aliens, drag-and-drop images on screen and navigate menus.

The webcam is tuned to see only pure bright colours and map their motion in space, so it can ignore ordinary room lights. And if two people have wands with different coloured LEDs, they can play against each other.

Read about Sony's gaming wand here (pdf format).

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn7890

so 2 month's after Sony's concept the Wii remote get's shown

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network
joeorc said:

so 2 month's after Sony's concept the Wii remote get's shown

Eh, the "wiimote" was concieved within NCL in 2001 as a GameCube add-on. Iwata even mentioned it to investors that year, saying the platform's future lay in innovative peripherals (media mistakenly figured this was the DK Bongos, of all things).  Then in 2003, the plan shifted to a successor console, which Iwata (again) mentioned to the public (saying they'd be "ready" in 2005, but didn't expect to launch until 2006).

Nintendo's rarely first to market with new technologies, though they've been using IR in games since the 70s and tilt functionality since the 90s.  Even the concept in the vitality sensor dates back to the 90s with the BioTetris collaboration with Seta.  What Nintendo really leads in is implementation, which is where they've unquestionably been the trailblazer for motion controls in consumer games with DS, Wii, Wii Balance Board, DSi, Wii Motion Plus...

Sony may have been deving it but Nintendo brought it to the consoles first, even if Sony did invent it.

Nintendo took the risk of it flopping and it was a huge success, Sony obviously wasnt gonna do it.

Same with the MS surface, even if MS did do it first the Apple Ipad will be the first on the market, therefore MS is coping them.

Garnett said:
Sony may have been deving it but Nintendo brought it to the consoles first, even if Sony did invent it.

Nintendo took the risk of it flopping and it was a huge success, Sony obviously wasnt gonna do it.

Same with the MS surface, even if MS did do it first the Apple Ipad will be the first on the market, therefore MS is coping them.

i agree with you, but what i think theyre trying to say is that sony had the idea of a wand already. the fact is everyone just keeps showing those two comparison shots and saying cmon look at them, it's a "blatant ripoff". no one's denying that nintendo took the risk, made it mainstream and is therefore the one's being copied. but the fact that ppl are just using the hey its a ripoff because "its a wiimote+ball+nunchuk" as the reason for it being a copy is what the op is showing is not true. sony had that idea already.

i mean like you invest money into r&d. come up with an idea. obviously they decided not to go with it. but nintendo now comes along. has huge success with it. now sony and ms are following suite. if you're sony, wouldn't you copy nintendo also? you dun needa invest into r&d for a totally new product. and plus now you can bank off the huge wii success by having multiplat games shared with the wii w/out any risk. it's the only logical decision

EDIT: oh and btw, i am of the opinion that it's kinda too late for sony and ms to profit off of this, this gen. this ship has sailed. which is why if they were to do it, i see the "similar to the nintendo" product being the most logical decision

Rpruett said:
This is exactly the point. I truly believe that Nintendo never in their wildest dreams thought that the Wii would be an industry leader. When you look at how they have handled the system from the beginning they made a very cheap console with marginal upgrades in graphical appearance basically dubbed a Gamecube with Motion controls.

Untrue. The reason why the Wii is the Gamecube * 2 is because motion control games are hard to make, so starting from a familiar base allowed them to get some great software out quickly and only worry about getting the gameplay and backend technology sorted.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

Around the Network
ShadowSnake said:
Garnett said:

i agree with you, but what i think theyre trying to say is that sony had the idea of a wand already. the fact is everyone just keeps showing those two comparison shots and saying cmon look at them, it's a "blatant ripoff". no one's denying that nintendo took the risk, made it mainstream and is therefore the one's being copied. but the fact that ppl are just using the hey its a ripoff because "its a wiimote+ball+nunchuk" as the reason for it being a copy is what the op is showing is not true. sony had that idea already.

i mean like you invest money into r&d. come up with an idea. obviously they decided not to go with it. but nintendo now comes along. has huge success with it. now sony and ms are following suite. if you're sony, wouldn't you copy nintendo also? you dun needa invest into r&d for a totally new product. and plus now you can bank off the huge wii success by having multiplat games shared with the wii w/out any risk. it's the only logical decision

EDIT: oh and btw, i am of the opinion that it's kinda too late for sony and ms to profit off of this, this gen. this ship has sailed. which is why if they were to do it, i see the "similar to the nintendo" product being the most logical decision

Sony may of had the MOVE already to go but they didnt launch it, therefore Nintendo took it and ran. 

Its a rip off.. Its not like

(2004 or 2005)

Sony CEO #1- Hey guys we have this Motion controller called MOVE and it could be a huge sales success, What do you think?

Sony CEO # 2- No Motion controlled games will never be a huge success, You think the PS2 sold 140 million with waggling technology?

E3 2006( or 2005 i forgot) Nintendo's Reggie - Ladies and Gentlemen we have the Wii, its a motion contolled system for the family.

Sony CEO #1- Guys they have the motion controlled system, we should include the MOVE with the purchase of every PS3

Sony CEO # 2- No were not gonna take that big of a risk, instead we will include six axis built into the controller of every PS3.

2009 and the Wii is 40 million units ahead of the PS3

E3 2009 and after the flop of Six Axis (I mean really few games use it, im calling it a flop)

Sony CEO  - Well ladies and gentlemen, here is the PS MOVE! 

Garnett said:
ShadowSnake said:
Garnett said:

Sony may of had the MOVE already to go but they didnt launch it, therefore Nintendo took it and ran. 

(2004 or 2005)

Sony CEO #1- Hey guys we have this Motion controller called MOVE and it could be a huge sales success, What do you think?

Sony CEO # 2- No Motion controlled games will never be a huge success, You think the PS2 sold 140 million with waggling technology?

E3 2006( or 2005 i forgot) Nintendo's Reggie - Ladies and Gentlemen we have the Wii, its a motion contolled system for the family.

Sony CEO #1- Guys they have the motion controlled system, we should include the MOVE with the purchase of every PS3

Sony CEO # 2- No were not gonna take that big of a risk, instead we will include six axis built into the controller of every PS3.

E3 2009 and after the flop of Six Axis (I mean really few games use it, im calling it a flop)

lol ok first off. only a bad company needs two ceo's. (hadda say it)

and this is where we differ. see there's a diff. between a rip-off of a product and copying an idea. sony copied and followed this trend created by nintendo. but they're not ripping off anything. they created the product a long time ago. by your logic nintendo ripped off the whole idea of home video games from magnavox, atari and others and before that, they ripped off the idea of trading/playing cards from the tobacco and gum companies who printed baseball players on cards.

i don't understand why ppl have such a big problem with takign a good idea and trying to improve on it. it adds competition. now both sony and more importantly nintendo need to look ahead to something better to grab the market share come next gen. or would you prefer that sony, nintendo n ms just sit on their asses and dish out super mario 21, halo 17, and uncharted 13 and ask you to keep paying them for the same game over n over

ShadowSnake said:
Garnett said:
ShadowSnake said:
Garnett said:

(2004 or 2005)

and this is where we differ. see there's a diff. between a rip-off of a product and copying an idea. sony copied and followed this trend created by nintendo. but they're not ripping off anything. they created the product a long time ago. by your logic nintendo ripped off the whole idea of home video games from magnavox, atari and others and before that, they ripped off the idea of trading/playing cards from the tobacco and gum companies who printed baseball players on cards.

i don't understand why ppl have such a big problem with takign a good idea and trying to improve on it. it adds competition. now both sony and more importantly nintendo need to look ahead to something better to grab the market share come next gen.

I didnt know what to put for the CEO part.

Nintendo took the risk and made it popular, Sony is doing it just because its popular, not because they want to be innovative.

Its a rip off, and no one said Rip offs are bad.

Copied = Rip off

Btw im all for competition. 

Garnett said:
ShadowSnake said:
Garnett said:
ShadowSnake said:
Garnett said:

(2004 or 2005)

i don't understand why ppl have such a big problem with takign a good idea and trying to improve on it. it adds competition. now both sony and more importantly nintendo need to look ahead to something better to grab the market share come next gen.

I didnt know what to put for the CEO part.

Nintendo took the risk and made it popular, Sony is doing it just because its popular, not because they want to be innovative.

Its a rip off, and no one said Rip offs are bad.

Copied = Rip off

Btw im all for competition. 

ya i follow what you're saying but last time i checked nintendo wasn't in the "making you you happy" or the "i only want to be be innovative" business. they're all in it for the money. don't ever forget that. nintendo always tries to be innovative because they may want to improve gaming, don't get me wrong. but this is paralleled with sony investing a large portion of their budget on devs to make new types of games in diff. genres. but if there isn't money money to be made in makign these investments, these investments won't be made by either company.

but now say sony we're to come up with wtv it was. it's successful, you don't think nintendo would follow suite? or even better, what if playstation implemented an idea that was a huge flop but essentially had a lot of unknown potential for the gamer, i think no one, even nintendo would approach it, as if it were the bubonic plague.

Doobie_wop said:
Twistedpixel said:
Still a copy.

For example:

Say im fishing along the side of the river with two of my friends, then I decide to go take it upon myself to wade across the river. Now im catching twice as many fish as my friends. So they decide to cross the river to get to my side too in order to catch some of the fish.

Question: Since they could have crossed the river at any time does that mean they aren't copying me? IMO obviously they are copying me.

The argument in every other thread was that Sony are unoriginal, they directly copied Nintendo and that Nintendo invented Motion controls. These articles basically prove those arguments wrong, Sony maybe entering late, but they came up with the idea before the success of the Wii. Nintendo took the risk, Sony observed the market and followed after. The same way that Sony took the risk with a disk based format (even though every other previous disk based console failed) and Nintendo saw its success and used it on the Gamecube. Everyone does it, get over it.

If they had the technology and didn't have the will to use it or if they didn't have the technology but still had the will then either way they copied Nintendo. The very idea of making a Wii like interface a core focus of the console was Nintendos own, the technology to make it work in an efficient and affordable way in 2006 was also Nintendos own. Sony's implementation is still more expensive and has not shown more than marginal benefits over the original Wii concept.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?