By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation Move: or how else would we have made the controller?

M.U.G.E.N said:
Great Read! Thanks for sharing

and Richard Marx is a great singer btw :P

at least they did this:

Correction: November 14, 2003, Friday An article in Circuits yesterday about a Sony engineer who developed a camera-and-sensor technology for the PlayStation 2 video console misspelled his surname. He is Richard Marks, not Marx.

but yea thank's there was a great read interview from from one of the old  playstation magazine's that talked to him when he was developing all of this over at sony, Even then many of the CEO's considered it something of a unique way to controll interactive software but those very same CEO's failed and many developer's also at that time failed to see the Application's that could be made from such technology. that or they chose to disreguard it. which I think many in the industry did.

Until Nintendo showed just what some of those type's of application's could be done with technology like this.

Now the CEO's at Sony  "kinda had to dig this motion controll's out from the back at R&D, dust it off and get to work"

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network
Severance said:
i hope this is a joke...

No this was not a joke, New york time's ran this back in 2003

the mentality of some of the Industry did not view Motion controll's as a real choice on control of Interactive software.

some of the OLD guard at Sony had not concentrated on motion controll's an their application's.

Nintendo CEO's Did.

That's what was one of the Main Problem's of The entire industry not just at Sony, but Many software publisher's  did not look at Motion controll's as a viable choice for interactive controll's for their Software. because the people in charge may not have  thought  it would be Viable.

Nintendo proved every one Wrong.

Even Sony CEO's that dis reguarded their use now are embracing it. IT's one of those thing's that EVEN though Sony had the Technology the People in charge Did not do anything with it. It took something Like the Wii to show them that the technology should have been used.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Good read.

STEKSTAV said:
Good read.

thank's, I thought it was kind of one of those thing's that was a great Read also and give's some good insight into the R&D over @ Sony durring that Time.

It's a shame some of the CEO's at Sony back then did not quite see how this could be a great control capability for quite a few application's. Some at R&D did say the PS2 hardware was not as robust as it would need to be to pull off some of the thing's need for some of the controll software , so maybe that had something to do with it.

but IT just goes to show how thing's change.

I AM BOLO

ps:

again here is another:

Invention: Magic wand for gamers

For over 30 years, Barry Fox has trawled the world's weird and wonderful patent applications each week, digging out the most exciting, intriguing and even terrifying new ideas. His column, Invention, is now available exclusively online. Please send us your feedback.

Magic wand

PlayStation gamers are always looking for exciting new ways to control the onscreen action, but using a camera to track a player's body movement has not worked reliably, admits Sony. The camera gets confused by other things in the room.

Sony's new idea is to plug a webcam into the console, and give the gamer a handheld wand similar to a pocket flashlight. The wand has a battery, a few mouse-like buttons and several different coloured LEDs that can be switched on and off in various combinations.

By pressing the buttons and waving the wand towards the webcam, the gamer can click to shoot aliens, drag-and-drop images on screen and navigate menus.

The webcam is tuned to see only pure bright colours and map their motion in space, so it can ignore ordinary room lights. And if two people have wands with different coloured LEDs, they can play against each other.

Read about Sony's gaming wand here (pdf format).

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn7890

I AM BOLO

ps:

Around the Network

they had the idea before the wii, its just they didn't believe it would catch on..

mM
leo-j said:
they had the idea before the wii, its just they didn't believe it would catch on..

the Guy's in R&D most likely did ,but the guy's that were in charge the CEO's may not have because publisher's may not have thought it would be a good Idea because of  past attempt's at motion controll's.

example:

PlayStation gamers are always looking for exciting new ways to control the onscreen action, but using a camera to track a player's body movement has not worked reliably, admits Sony.

So the next step was to work on way to fix the issue:

Sony's new idea is to plug a webcam into the console, and give the gamer a handheld wand similar to a pocket flashlight. The wand has a battery, a few mouse-like buttons and several different coloured LEDs that can be switched on and off in various combinations.

By pressing the buttons and waving the wand towards the webcam, the gamer can click to shoot aliens, drag-and-drop images on screen and navigate menus.

remember this is in  2005

I think the problem's were some were getting past the CEO's to go forward with the project.

the CEO's may have wanted to see how the Wii did in the Market?

I AM BOLO

ps:

Also one of the advantages of using something like a sphere with multi-colored light's for example:

"a glowing orb atop the controller that can switch among at least four different colors -- pink, blue, green, and yellow."

that color change can represent a paint brush., or represent a muzzle flash.

thing's like that the playstation EYE can use

I AM BOLO

ps:

Talk about owned. Good Read Indeed.

• 2010 MUST Haves: WKC, Heavy Rain, GoWIII, Fable III, Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders, FFXIII, Alan Wake, No More Heroes 2, Fragile Dreams: FRotM, Trinity: SoZ, BFBC2.
  • Older Need To Buys: Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart Wii, Deadspace, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2.

There is definitely more to list that I want, but that's my main focus there.

joeorc said:

again here is another:

Invention: Magic wand for gamers

For over 30 years, Barry Fox has trawled the world's weird and wonderful patent applications each week, digging out the most exciting, intriguing and even terrifying new ideas. His column, Invention, is now available exclusively online. Please send us your feedback.

Magic wand

PlayStation gamers are always looking for exciting new ways to control the onscreen action, but using a camera to track a player's body movement has not worked reliably, admits Sony. The camera gets confused by other things in the room.

The webcam is tuned to see only pure bright colours and map their motion in space, so it can ignore ordinary room lights. And if two people have wands with different coloured LEDs, they can play against each other.

Read about Sony's gaming wand here (pdf format).

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn7890

You sir, are amazing. In one thread you basically proved all those Sony doubters wrong.... I've also noticed how they all seem to be avoiding this thread.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752