By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation Move: or how else would we have made the controller?

This is exactly the point. I truly believe that Nintendo never in their wildest dreams thought that the Wii would be an industry leader. When you look at how they have handled the system from the beginning they made a very cheap console with marginal upgrades in graphical appearance basically dubbed a Gamecube with Motion controls.

I think Nintendo came into this generation with the mindset that they will be able to sell their games to core Nintendo owners regardless of what they put out there. If only for the newest iterations of Mario, Zelda, Metroid. And if they keep the costs of their system down, then it won't hurt them if they don't sell 50 million consoles.

Nintendo took a chance at motion controls because of this philosophy. They have a core fanbase that won't go away anytime soon. Plus they have always had the family friendly, kid friendly vibe about them. They were in a position that the market leader(Sony/PS2) and (Microsoft/Xbox/Direct competitor of the same pie Sony has) were not.

Nintendo was a trading card company for god's sakes. They copied and borrowed all the way to the top. It's almost comical watching Nintendo fanboys spin it like Nintendo invented Video games.

Around the Network
chaospluto said:
Talk about owned. Good Read Indeed.

I don't think it was about getting owned, but how the CEO's and some game software publisher's were maybe waiting to see how Motion Controll's would do in the market before releasing the technology. Some CEO's may have Had reservation's on How well the technology could be used, at the Time the PS2 was not powerful enough to handle some of the application's they may have been wanting to do with it. than Tack on Some of the Ceo's would have looked at Past  Attempts at it like Wireless controller's that were made in the Past. Than they put out a Eyetoy but developer's are reluctant to make software for it..

all it take's is for something to take off and It changes all that!

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Doobie_wop said:
joeorc said:

again here is another:

Invention: Magic wand for gamers

For over 30 years, Barry Fox has trawled the world's weird and wonderful patent applications each week, digging out the most exciting, intriguing and even terrifying new ideas. His column, Invention, is now available exclusively online. Please send us your feedback.

Magic wand

PlayStation gamers are always looking for exciting new ways to control the onscreen action, but using a camera to track a player's body movement has not worked reliably, admits Sony. The camera gets confused by other things in the room.

Sony's new idea is to plug a webcam into the console, and give the gamer a handheld wand similar to a pocket flashlight. The wand has a battery, a few mouse-like buttons and several different coloured LEDs that can be switched on and off in various combinations.

By pressing the buttons and waving the wand towards the webcam, the gamer can click to shoot aliens, drag-and-drop images on screen and navigate menus.

The webcam is tuned to see only pure bright colours and map their motion in space, so it can ignore ordinary room lights. And if two people have wands with different coloured LEDs, they can play against each other.

Read about Sony's gaming wand here (pdf format).

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn7890

You sir, are amazing. In one thread you basically proved all those Sony doubters wrong.... I've also noticed how they all seem to be avoiding this thread.

That's no doubt, if Sony were to say this at their E3 conference man oh man, it would be interesting to say the least.  

I just hate all this Sony bashing lately, I'm not even a friggin Sony Fanboy.  It's just ridiculous what people think just because the Move looks similar and does what the Wiimote does, even possibly better.  In the end, just wait for the Move to release and then people can whatever they want (to an extent of course) of how bad it is.

• 2010 MUST Haves: WKC, Heavy Rain, GoWIII, Fable III, Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders, FFXIII, Alan Wake, No More Heroes 2, Fragile Dreams: FRotM, Trinity: SoZ, BFBC2.
  • Older Need To Buys: Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart Wii, Deadspace, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2.

There is definitely more to list that I want, but that's my main focus there.

Still a copy.

For example:

Say im fishing along the side of the river with two of my friends, then I decide to go take it upon myself to wade across the river. Now im catching twice as many fish as my friends. So they decide to cross the river to get to my side too in order to catch some of the fish.

Question: Since they could have crossed the river at any time does that mean they aren't copying me? IMO obviously they are copying me.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

Twistedpixel said:
Still a copy.

For example:

Say im fishing along the side of the river with two of my friends, then I decide to go take it upon myself to wade across the river. Now im catching twice as many fish as my friends. So they decide to cross the river to get to my side too in order to catch some of the fish.

Question: Since they could have crossed the river at any time does that mean they aren't copying me? IMO obviously they are copying me.

More like the Sony boat ws already on it's way across, but then the captain wasn't sure if they should go to that shore, meanwhile another boat was fast and got across. Doesn't mean they initiated the journey, they just got there first :)

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network
Rpruett said:
This is exactly the point. I truly believe that Nintendo never in their wildest dreams thought that the Wii would be an industry leader. When you look at how they have handled the system from the beginning they made a very cheap console with marginal upgrades in graphical appearance basically dubbed a Gamecube with Motion controls.

I think Nintendo came into this generation with the mindset that they will be able to sell their games to core Nintendo owners regardless of what they put out there. If only for the newest iterations of Mario, Zelda, Metroid. And if they keep the costs of their system down, then it won't hurt them if they don't sell 50 million consoles.

Nintendo took a chance at motion controls because of this philosophy. They have a core fanbase that won't go away anytime soon. Plus they have always had the family friendly, kid friendly vibe about them. They were in a position that the market leader(Sony/PS2) and (Microsoft/Xbox/Direct competitor of the same pie Sony has) were not.

Nintendo was a trading card company for god's sakes. They copied and borrowed all the way to the top. It's almost comical watching Nintendo fanboys spin it like Nintendo invented Video games.

Well the Wii is more than just a game cube with motion controll's

and as for innovation well Nintendo did drive quite a bit for home electronic game system's, them and Atari, and other game companies. in the early 70's and 80's all the upt to now, I consider that a pretty good track record for innovation. they have brought quite a bit to the industry, but they are by no mean's alone both Microsoft and sony have both brought their fair share also.

yea they have alway's been a game company though.that's one thing i admire about Nintendo, but Also getting back to the topic, I don't think they at Nintendo could have known How well it could have Done also because of How the Industry was and their View of Motion controll's in general, the Power Glove was cool and all but let's face it it did not set the world on fire.

I think what Nintendo did show was some gut's in trying to put out Motion controll's to try to change the Publisher's, some developer's and pretty much the Entire Industry on How Motion controll's was view.

what I think this post proves That Nintendo was not Alone it that IDEA, Even people at Sony felt that way, I t was just getting those other people to change their Mind.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Twistedpixel said:
Still a copy.

For example:

The argument in every other thread was that Sony are unoriginal, they directly copied Nintendo and that Nintendo invented Motion controls. These articles basically prove those arguments wrong, Sony maybe entering late, but they came up with the idea before the success of the Wii. Nintendo took the risk, Sony observed the market and followed after. The same way that Sony took the risk with a disk based format (even though every other previous disk based console failed) and Nintendo saw its success and used it on the Gamecube. Everyone does it, get over it.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Twistedpixel said:
Still a copy.

For example:

In your Opinion they copied. both just decided to see if there is more fish bite-in over there someone took the plunge before they did, that does not mean they did not think about it also they may have wanted to see if it was worth their time. I guess since they are now getting twice as much fish, it was.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Twistedpixel said:
Still a copy.

For example:

There is one big difference here tho.  These articles are public, and you can be sure that the competition (in this case Ninty) reads EVERYTHING that gets released by their competitors (in this case Sony).  

For your example to work tho (with these articles), the person would have to say:

"I wonder if there are more fish on the far bank"

Then if the other person goes over there and you follow.  You did copy him in going, but the original Idea was still yours. It is not the same.

Andysw said:

Wand not a copy of the wii remote. DEAL WITH IT.

Okay, are you people seriously saying that Sony isn't copying Nintendo here? The concept is a blatant rip-off!

The BuShA owns all!