By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation Move: or how else would we have made the controller?

joeorc said:
dtewi said:
joeorc said:

well look what we have here:

In 1956 Robert adler developed "Zenith Space Command", a wireless remote

It was mechanical and used ultrasound to change the channel and volume. When the user pushed a button on the remote control it clicked and struck a bar, hence the term "clicker". Each bar emitted a different frequency and circuits in the television detected this noise.

That serves absolutely no purpose in this thread at all. It's just trivial knowledge.

just trivial knowledge..huh?

a tv remote in 1956 using ..what's that ultra sound to change the tv

..just like the power glove did to game function's..yea that has no bearing.

I really don't see how being able to change a channel matters with Power Glove using motion controls.

Unless you're saying that it was wireless like the Power Glove, but that's a stretch.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Around the Network
leo-j said:

I agree with rol, that SONY would not have invested as much as they did on the PS MOVE, had the wii not been such a breakthrough success..

but that does not mean sony were not looking into motion control development.. considering the fact a concept similar to the PS MOVE was in development with eye toy, 6-7 years ago..

Nintendo did the smart thing, release a product at a much cheaper price than the XBOX or PLAYSTATION, *$400 and $600 respectively* at around $250, bundle it with a game, and develop a control scheme, that brings something different to the table. The price made it an ideal choice for consumers, and then the control scheme began to take over.

Thats the way I see things.. I dont believe it is a RIP OFF, but the consumer may believe it is.. unless something like the following is shown in stores, to show how it differentiates from the wii

nor anything like this:

that last tech demo, is jaw dropping PERFECT 1:1, the combination of the PS EYE and MOVE is genius..

and sure that pic may look similar, but you don't need a sub controller, you can just use a DUAL SHOCK, the sub controller is just for easier use of analogue stick..

functionality is VERY different..

mM
dtewi said:
joeorc said:
dtewi said:
joeorc said:

well look what we have here:

In 1956 Robert adler developed "Zenith Space Command", a wireless remote

It was mechanical and used ultrasound to change the channel and volume. When the user pushed a button on the remote control it clicked and struck a bar, hence the term "clicker". Each bar emitted a different frequency and circuits in the television detected this noise.

That serves absolutely no purpose in this thread at all. It's just trivial knowledge.

just trivial knowledge..huh?

a tv remote in 1956 using ..what's that ultra sound to change the tv

..just like the power glove did to game function's..yea that has no bearing.

I really don't see how being able to change a channel matters with Power Glove using motion controls.

Unless you're saying that it was wireless like the Power Glove, but that's a stretch.

they were both wireless , the power glove used ultra sound to do changes to the function's just as the same as this control in 1956 both used ultrasound to so the same type's of remote function's to a tv. your's did it through the game system while this one did it through the TV .  the principle work's  exactly the same

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

dtewi said:
Nintendo was the first company to have the idea of motion control in their games.

So I don't see how Nintendo copied anything from Sony. Sony used a magic wand, Nintendo used a TV remote.

actually motion control concept has been there for years, the oddyssey i believe was the first. http://www.pong-story.com/odyssey.htm#P5.
there is a bit about the light gun

oh joeorc thanks for this thread it was a nice read. 

correct me if I am wrong
stop me if I am bias
I love a good civilised debate (but only if we can learn something).

joeorc said:

they were both wireless , the power glove used ultra sound to do changes to the function's just as the same as this control in 1956 both used ultrasound to so the same type's of remote function's to a tv. your's did it through the game system while this one did it through the TV .  the principle work's  exactly the same

You're not making ANY sense, what the hell do you mean by functions? Like punching in the numbers on the glove so it works for the game? What do you MEAN?

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

Around the Network
dtewi said:
joeorc said:

You're not making ANY sense, what the hell do you mean by functions? Like punching in the numbers on the glove so it works for the game? What do you MEAN?

um yes I am:

It was mechanical and used ultrasound to change the channel and volume. When the user pushed a button on the remote control it clicked and struck a bar, hence the term "clicker". Each bar emitted a different frequency and circuits in the television detected this noise. The receiver contained a Microphone attached to a circuit that was tuned to the same frequency.

and now the

power glove

Zimmerman built the first prototype that demonstrated finger flex measurement and hand position tracking using a pair of ultrasonic transmitters

The ultrasonic speakers take turns transmitting a short burst (a few pulses) of 40 kHz sound and the system measures the time it takes for the sound to reach the microphones. A triangulation calculation is performed to determine the X, Y, Z location of each of the two speakers, which specifies the yaw and roll of the hand. The only dimension it can't calculate is the pitch of the hand, since the hand can pitch without moving the location of the two ultrasonic speakers.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

joeorc said:
dtewi said:
joeorc said:

um yes I am:

It was mechanical and used ultrasound to change the channel and volume. When the user pushed a button on the remote control it clicked and struck a bar, hence the term "clicker". Each bar emitted a different frequency and circuits in the television detected this noise. The receiver contained a Microphone attached to a circuit that was tuned to the same frequency.

and now the

power glove

Zimmerman built the first prototype that demonstrated finger flex measurement and hand position tracking using a pair of ultrasonic transmitters

The ultrasonic speakers take turns transmitting a short burst (a few pulses) of 40 kHz sound and the system measures the time it takes for the sound to reach the microphones. A triangulation calculation is performed to determine the X, Y, Z location of each of the two speakers, which specifies the yaw and roll of the hand. The only dimension it can't calculate is the pitch of the hand, since the hand can pitch without moving the location of the two ultrasonic speakers.

No you are not making sense.

All you're fucking saying is that there was a remote that used sound to determine what button is pressed. Then you compare that to a PROTOTYPE of the Power Glove that slightly resembles that idea. Then you compare the power glove to that. It is such a stretch of the mind I am completely baffled you would use that as a decent analogy.

Now, please shut up forever.

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

My parents and my girlfriend's parent's call the remote a "clicker". I had no idea that this is why they called it that. Everytime they say that I am like "It is called a remote!".

I have learned so much just from this thread.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

dtewi said:
joeorc said:
dtewi said:
joeorc said:

um yes I am:

and now the

power glove

All you're fucking saying is that there was a remote that used sound to determine what button is pressed. Then you compare that to a PROTOTYPE of the Power Glove that slightly resembles that idea. Then you compare the power glove to that. It is such a stretch of the mind I am completely baffled you would use that as a decent analogy.

not slightly it uses the exact same principle to switch function's :

ultrasonic control's

so you can quit now your self

I AM BOLO

ps:

joeorc said:
dtewi said:
joeorc said:
dtewi said:
joeorc said:

um yes I am:

and now the

power glove

not slightly it uses the exact same principle to switch function's :

ultrasonic control's

so you can quit now your self

Ultrasound is the only reason they're similar!!!!

And it's such a weak similarity it makes the remote completely trivial!

Do you know what ultrasound is? If you did, you probably wouldn't use it as the reason for why they're similar.

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you