By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Molyneux: Fable III needs 5 million sales!

Molyneux has a problem transiting his great ideas into reality and most of his games, while having incredible potential, just aren't that fun to play. He can't expect unchanneled exploration to keep anyone interested in this day and age.

I can't remember having fun playing any of his games after the original Dungeon Keeper.

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

Around the Network
nofingershaha said:
I think that depends whether Microsoft is willing to bust out their checkbooks for a massive marketing campaign.

If it uses Natal they sure will... Besides, they promised some big advertising campaigns for all their exclusives this year.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

Fable 2 was hyped beyond realism, that played a part in it's succes and I think many who got it thought it was a so-so game. I think there is a bigger chance of Fable 3 selling only 2 million copies then there is of hitting 5 million. If this was a FPS series then things would eb different, the market would be bigger and if Fable 3 was better then all the other FPS then it can quickly sell those numbers. But for an wRPG 3.5 million is a lot, it might sell 4 million if they manage to make the game 20+ hours for a change but 5 million is unrealistic.

Grey21 said:
Fable 2 was hyped beyond realism, that played a part in it's succes and I think many who got it thought it was a so-so game. I think there is a bigger chance of Fable 3 selling only 2 million copies then there is of hitting 5 million. If this was a FPS series then things would eb different, the market would be bigger and if Fable 3 was better then all the other FPS then it can quickly sell those numbers. But for an wRPG 3.5 million is a lot, it might sell 4 million if they manage to make the game 20+ hours for a change but 5 million is unrealistic.

If it was disapointing it wouldn't have had legs. 2M units were sold after two weeks on the market, which is enough time for word of mouth from 1.5M disapointed people to spread. It also released back to back against another 3M selling RPG.

As for your comments on market? Well the total Xbox 360 market size has increased significantly, so if they sold 3.5M inspite of disapointment then they can sell 5M+ considering an increase in the overall potential market and assuming he learns from his mistake and Fable 3 isn't so disapointing this time.

Btw, it was his goal and not a projection of sales nor a target he needed to reach for any financial reason.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

If I ever get a 360, he probably has an additional purchase from me.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

If this is going to be the big natal bundled game this fall, then yeah 5 mill is easy ..

Ehh...I'm not so sure. If it reaches that number, then congratulations.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

aragod said:
Molyneux has a problem transiting his great ideas into reality and most of his games, while having incredible potential, just aren't that fun to play. He can't expect unchanneled exploration to keep anyone interested in this day and age.

I can't remember having fun playing any of his games after the original Dungeon Keeper.

The only games of his I've spend a signifigant amount of time playing are Fable and Fable 2, and while Fable was okay, Fable 2 was marvelous!  So, it would seem that he's delivering to me, and to the 3 million and counting who keep buying Fable 2.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

It's great if it can! I'm really looking forward to what they'll do with it now. Fable 2 was loads of fun to play.

I'm not sure what happens if they don;t meet their goal of 5 million, but I can't wait to see. :)

You do not have the right to never be offended.