By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Sunshine remake launch title for DS2?

Mario Sunshine remake launch title for DS2?

Yes, definitely 29 16.38%

Yes, good chance 26 14.69%

Maybe 37 20.90%

No, probably not 45 25.42%

No, definitely not 40 22.60%

Total:177
Cheebee said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Cheebee said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
I wouldn't really want it to, and I severely doubt it'll happen.

Why though?

Mario 64 is legendary because it took the series, and a large chunk of gaming as a whole, into 3D. It was the quintessential game for the N64, and that's why they ported it to launch with the DS.

Sunshine is, whether you like the game, dislike the game, love the game or hate the game, pretty much just another game.

I know, and good point. Still, did you read the OP?

GBA launched with a Mario remake of a remake of a remake, and one that's considered to be one of the, if not the single weakest Mario games, at that. Besides, strong launch games aren't a rule set in stone for Nintendo. Just look at the GameCube, for example.

Not saying it's not possible, and your argument is compelling. But I still don't think so, purely because of what I said. Porting 2D games is different than porting 3D ones, especially ones like 3D Mario with their controls.

Around the Network
TheSource said:

Your logic is sound, but I think they'd have trouble letting portable players control the water device on Mario's back, especially if DS2 is dual-screened.

True that. Still, it's Nintendo, and we don't know anything about DS's successor yet, it could well sport some wacky new feature that'd make something like that easier. The DS wasn't really suitable for 3D platformers either, remember the awkward thumb strap Nintendo used to pack with the original DS phat, presumably to 'make 3D games easier to control'?

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Interesting idea.

They might do this if they figure a way to include an analog stick on the DS2. However, I would like to see something new personally-- something that shows the systems strengths. Perhaps Super Mario Sunshine 2?

A gamecube remake is unlikely until we know three things.

1. What type of System Specs the DS2 has.
2. What type of media the DS2 has.
3. What type of graphics the DS2 can support.

But, frankly, I doubt the game will see a remake for one simple reason. Mario Sunshine lacked the popularity that Mario 64 or even Mario Galaxy has. If you look over all the markets for not just Mario games, but all 3D Nintendo titles, you will see a common trend. After Mario 64 and Zelda: Ocarina of Time, there's a consistent drop off of interest in the Japanese market for 3D Nintendo titles in favor of their 2D counterparts. This would put in favor the idea of them making something more like a 'New Super Mario Bros 3' or 'WarioLand 5' for DS2 launch instead, to try to capitalize on all their markets, including their strongest market, Japan.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
A gamecube remake is unlikely until we know three things.

1. What type of System Specs the DS2 has.
2. What type of media the DS2 has.
3. What type of graphics the DS2 can support.

But, frankly, I doubt the game will see a remake for one simple reason. Mario Sunshine lacked the popularity that Mario 64 or even Mario Galaxy has. If you look over all the markets for not just Mario games, but all 3D Nintendo titles, you will see a common trend. After Mario 64 and Zelda: Ocarina of Time, there's a consistent drop off of interest in the Japanese market for 3D Nintendo titles in favor of their 2D counterparts. This would put in favor the idea of them making something more like a 'New Super Mario Bros 3' or 'WarioLand 5' for DS2 launch instead, to try to capitalize on all their markets, including their strongest market, Japan.

Yeah, well of course, like I said in the OP, this is all just pure speculation for the fun of it, and we know nothing yet of the DS2. But I can imagine it having enough horsepower to play games like Sunshine. I mean, this is 2010, after all.

As far as the popularity goes, you have a point, but like I explained earlier, GBA launched with a remake of what is widely considered to be one of the weakest Mario games ever. Still, yeah, a 2D Mario would make a lot of sense too. But at the same time maybe not so much, because something like Sunshine would effectively show off what the system's capable off, and, judging by Galaxy's success, there's still a ginormous market for 3D Mario.

This thread's all just fun and speculation though, only the future will tell.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network

I think this thread may be interesting now we know about the 3DS :P

Water jets popping out of the lower screen and hitting the upper screen?

Hmmm

For some reason I just don't see that.....................Sunshine?

"The Common Cold Isn't So Common During The Cold"     

I think the main reasoning behind that is that now Nintendo is fully aware of the power of 2D Mario to move consoles. If anything, it'll launch with New Super Mario World or something.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

No I don't think Sunshine will be for DS2. I don't think the DS2 will be significantly more powerful than the DSi. Though I suspect they will ramp the cpu & ram about 25%. The real difference will be in the graphics system. I suspect Nintendo doesn't want to push console game development onto portables being the reason why graphics won't make a massive jump from n64 TO ngc.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Mr Khan said:

I think the main reasoning behind that is that now Nintendo is fully aware of the power of 2D Mario to move consoles. If anything, it'll launch with New Super Mario World or something.

New Super Mario. Bros 3D 2D!