By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Sunshine remake launch title for DS2?

Mario Sunshine remake launch title for DS2?

Yes, definitely 29 16.38%

Yes, good chance 26 14.69%

Maybe 37 20.90%

No, probably not 45 25.42%

No, definitely not 40 22.60%

Total:177
CrashMan said:
Pfft, I love "Star Hunter" mario games and thought Sunshine was a damn fun game. I would just like to see the world expanded a bit more than they currently are.

There is room in the Mario world for both Side Scrollers and 3d Adventures. Saying that people were expecting another mario game with Mario 64 is saying people are very very dumb. How could any intelligent person think "They are moving from 2D to 3D, OBVIOUSLY it is going to have the same game play style as the side scrollers!" I think not...

You say that now, but back then, 3D gaming was relatively new, so people couldn't be expected to know what Mario 64 would be like.

Sales prove that SMB is far more well received than Star Hunter

Around the Network

I'm gonna say probably not, cuz it's one of the weaker entries in the series (according to general opinion, not mine). I don't see ninty using something 'weak' as a launch aspect.

axt113 said:
^Mario 64 was only a success because people were expecting another Super Mario Game, instead they got star hunter Mario, and that's why 3D Mario has never been the success of Super Mario, which is why NSMB is a system seller and Galaxy is not.

Nintendo would be foolish to release another star hunter Mario, and they probably won't after Galaxy 2 flops hard (can't wait for that, will be a beautiful day, the end of 3D Star Hunter Mario)

Ah... I see. Silly me, posting thought-out comments and trying to analyze the factors involved in the individual games' successes. Didn't realize the kind of person I was dealing with, there. Seems like it turned out to be a forest-dwelling one. I apologize.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Cheebee said:
axt113 said:
^Mario 64 was only a success because people were expecting another Super Mario Game, instead they got star hunter Mario, and that's why 3D Mario has never been the success of Super Mario, which is why NSMB is a system seller and Galaxy is not.

Nintendo would be foolish to release another star hunter Mario, and they probably won't after Galaxy 2 flops hard (can't wait for that, will be a beautiful day, the end of 3D Star Hunter Mario)

Ah... I see. Silly me, posting thought-out comments and trying to analyze the factors involved in the individual games' successes. Didn't realize the kind of person I was dealing with, there. Seems like it turned out to be a forest-dwelling one. I apologize.

Calling me a troll isn't doing you any benefit, facts are facts, Star Hunter Mario has never been on the same level as Super Mario, even Mario 64 was more due to people hoping to see Super Mario 64, and getting Star Hunter Mario 1, if a real mario had been released on the N64, the result of that gen would have been totally different, Nintendo has already seen the monstrous success of NSMB on DS and Wii, and the failure of Galaxy 1, Galaxy 2, when it does even worse than Galaxy 1, will herald the end of the Star hunter Marios, why would Nintendo pursue a failing formula when a successful one is available

Have you noticed, every system with a true Super Mario has been a victory for Nintendo, every system without a failure (saleswise)

Around the Network
axt113 said:
Cheebee said:
axt113 said:

Calling me a troll isn't doing you any benefit, facts are facts, Star Hunter Mario has never been on the same level as Super Mario, even Mario 64 was more due to people hoping to see Super Mario 64, and getting Star Hunter Mario 1, if a real mario had been released on the N64, the result of that gen would have been totally different, Nintendo has already seen the monstrous success of NSMB on DS and Wii, and the failure of Galaxy 1, Galaxy 2, when it does even worse than Galaxy 1, will herald the end of the Star hunter Marios, why would Nintendo pursue a failing formula when a successful one is available

Yes, very nice, never you mind, then.

Hilarious. XD

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

axt113 said:

They'll continue to pursue that formula because it appeals to some people who don't like 2D Marios.... and also it's a pretty decent way to sell ten million copies over time.

As to your  second post, that's a false correlation: the Wii had won long, long before the public knew that NSMBWii existed.

Khuutra said:
axt113 said:

They'll continue to pursue that formula because it appeals to some people who don't like 2D Marios.... and also it's a pretty decent way to sell ten million copies over time.

As to your  second post, that's a false correlation: the Wii had won long, long before the public knew that NSMBWii existed.

10 Million copies is nothing if it doesn't push hardware

Wii perhaps, but it did reignite Wii sales after months of lagging, Wii had a record breaking December because of NSMB Wii, with the DS, it spiked around the time of NSMB DS's release, SNES was propelled out of the gate by Super Mario World

axt113 said:
Khuutra said:

Wii perhaps, but it did reignite Wii sales after months of lagging, Wii had a record breaking December because of NSMB Wii, with the DS, it spiked around the time of NSMB DS's release, SNES was propelled out of the gate by Super Mario World

It would be disingenuous to pretend that Super Mario Galaxy didn't contribute, to some degree, to Wii hardware being moved over time, but moving hardware isn't Nnintendo's only goal, either.

Again: it's a false correlation, since you equated victory with 2D Mario when the Wii had attainend that long before.

Khuutra said:
axt113 said:
Khuutra said:

It would be disingenuous to pretend that Super Mario Galaxy didn't contribute, to some degree, to Wii hardware being moved over time, but moving hardware isn't Nnintendo's only goal, either.

Again: it's a false correlation, since you equated victory with 2D Mario when the Wii had attainend that long before.

Only false in one instance, and even then 2D Mario was a godsend

One can argue every game contributes to a degree to sales, but with NSMB we saw a significant rise in sales and continued strong sales of software, with 3D star hunter Mario we didn't see any such effect.

Moving Hardware may not be its only goal, but probably right up there with expanding the market and making a profit

Nintendo is a smart company, if 2D mario costs less to make and sells more, as well as moves more hardware, resulting in higher profits for Nintendo than 3D star hunter, they why waste resources on 3D?  Galaxy 2 was announced because of fears NSMB Wii wouldn't succeed, now that we can easily see it has, and we know that Galaxy 2 will not result in similar sales, Nintendo is unlikely to continue wasting resources on 3D star hunter marios