By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Sunshine remake launch title for DS2?

Mario Sunshine remake launch title for DS2?

Yes, definitely 29 16.38%

Yes, good chance 26 14.69%

Maybe 37 20.90%

No, probably not 45 25.42%

No, definitely not 40 22.60%

Total:177

And Super Mario Galaxy probably cause it will be as powerful as Gamecube or Wii.

Around the Network
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
A gamecube remake is unlikely until we know three things.

1. What type of System Specs the DS2 has.
2. What type of media the DS2 has.
3. What type of graphics the DS2 can support.

But, frankly, I doubt the game will see a remake for one simple reason. Mario Sunshine lacked the popularity that Mario 64 or even Mario Galaxy has. If you look over all the markets for not just Mario games, but all 3D Nintendo titles, you will see a common trend. After Mario 64 and Zelda: Ocarina of Time, there's a consistent drop off of interest in the Japanese market for 3D Nintendo titles in favor of their 2D counterparts. This would put in favor the idea of them making something more like a 'New Super Mario Bros 3' or 'WarioLand 5' for DS2 launch instead, to try to capitalize on all their markets, including their strongest market, Japan.

....Japan is Nintendo's strongest market?

All this thread managed to do is get me exicted for the new DS -_-

That would be a sweet idea, but it won't happen. I think they'll go for something Wii Sports-y to show off it's capabilities.

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

ShadowSnake said:
axt113 said:
ShadowSnake said:
while they've consistently done mario remakes on the handhelds like you've said, i think if they need a launch remake that'll attract buyers (and definitely make me buy it day 1), let it be an ocarina of time and majora's mask collection.
Unfortunately this definitely won't advertise it's graphical strengths (then again who knows if it could deal w/ gamecube games) I'd rather see a brand new 3d mario made at launch instead of a remake like someone else posted.

3D Mario would be a bad idea, unless its kind of a 3D version of a 2D Mario

but the thing is at launch, nintendo needs something that ppl will say. "wow. this 3d idea is really cool." i don't see how a 2d mario game could exploit the feature better than a new 3d mario game. (of course if somebody's gotta come up with a good idea, it's nintendo)

@bamboleo
sucking ghosts back into the screen before they get me would be awesome. i was going to mention a luigi's mansion remake instead of a sunshine remake also

3D Mario has never been a system seller, 2D mario has, just make it that the 2D pops out of the screen and its golden

Cheebee said:
Wow, I thought my thread was dead, haha now look at it.

The 3DS announcement does open some new doors of possibility, imo. And like ShadowSnake mentioned, while 2D Mario sells extremely well, the whole point of this new handheld is the 3D. That's the main thing, so I think a 3D Mario would be infinitely better suited to show off the system's strengths and novelty than a 2D Mario. A sidescrolling Mario on 3D screens would be pretty pointless, I'd say.

Just imagine the water splashing out of the screen whenever Mario jumps into a body of water, of the globs of goo and fire that enemies spit out, coming straight at your face. Those octopus-jetskiing parts... man, the rollercoaster-Mecha-Bowser-bossfight would be a sight to behold in 3D. So many awesome things that would be totally awesome!

Also, consider the rumours that 3DS will feature one or more analog sticks. 3D Mario is the reason Nintendo introduced their analog stick on the N64.

Seriously, imo a game like this would be a much better fit than a sidescrolling 2D Mario could ever dream to be. And besides, while it's true 2D Mario sells like crazy, 3D Mario games only seem to sell 'bad' when you compare them to their 2D counterparts. All 3D Mario games (including the 64DS one), have sold close to, or over 10 million. 10 Million! That's far more than 99% of every other IP out there could ever hope to sell.

No, it would be like playing a hologram, the images would be 3d, but you'd move side to side, sort of like a popup book

Around the Network
axt113 said:
Cheebee said:
Wow, I thought my thread was dead, haha now look at it.

The 3DS announcement does open some new doors of possibility, imo. And like ShadowSnake mentioned, while 2D Mario sells extremely well, the whole point of this new handheld is the 3D. That's the main thing, so I think a 3D Mario would be infinitely better suited to show off the system's strengths and novelty than a 2D Mario. A sidescrolling Mario on 3D screens would be pretty pointless, I'd say.

Just imagine the water splashing out of the screen whenever Mario jumps into a body of water, of the globs of goo and fire that enemies spit out, coming straight at your face. Those octopus-jetskiing parts... man, the rollercoaster-Mecha-Bowser-bossfight would be a sight to behold in 3D. So many awesome things that would be totally awesome!

Also, consider the rumours that 3DS will feature one or more analog sticks. 3D Mario is the reason Nintendo introduced their analog stick on the N64.

Seriously, imo a game like this would be a much better fit than a sidescrolling 2D Mario could ever dream to be. And besides, while it's true 2D Mario sells like crazy, 3D Mario games only seem to sell 'bad' when you compare them to their 2D counterparts. All 3D Mario games (including the 64DS one), have sold close to, or over 10 million. 10 Million! That's far more than 99% of every other IP out there could ever hope to sell.

No, it would be like playing a hologram, the images would be 3d, but you'd move side to side, sort of like a popup book

Yes, you're totally right about that, and I agree. And while something like that would look nice, my point is, and remains, a 3D Mario game like Sunshine would be much, much better suited to show off the system's strengths and the novelty of the 3D. 360 Degrees of freedom of movement in 3D would ultimately impress infinitely more than a 'pop-up' sidescroller ever could.

Also, as for your comment about 3D Mario never having been a system seller, Mario 64 says hello and strongly disagrees. That game was fun, new, and novel back when it came out. There was nothing like it when it released. Later games (like Sunshine and Galaxy), weren't so fresh, new and novel, because 3D platformers had been around for ages by the time they came out, hence them not becoming system sellers. A 3D Mario launch title for 3DS however, would be something new, fresh and excitingly novel. There's nothing like it so far. In essence, I believe such a game would be in an extremely similar position as Mario 64 was in back in 1996.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

^Mario 64 was only a success because people were expecting another Super Mario Game, instead they got star hunter Mario, and that's why 3D Mario has never been the success of Super Mario, which is why NSMB is a system seller and Galaxy is not.

Nintendo would be foolish to release another star hunter Mario, and they probably won't after Galaxy 2 flops hard (can't wait for that, will be a beautiful day, the end of 3D Star Hunter Mario)

Pfft, I love "Star Hunter" mario games and thought Sunshine was a damn fun game. I would just like to see the world expanded a bit more than they currently are.

There is room in the Mario world for both Side Scrollers and 3d Adventures. Saying that people were expecting another mario game with Mario 64 is saying people are very very dumb. How could any intelligent person think "They are moving from 2D to 3D, OBVIOUSLY it is going to have the same game play style as the side scrollers!" I think not...

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X

If you ask me, hell NO! I'm tired of the remakes here and remakes there thing going on! That's a bad sign IMO.

About the "star-hunter Mario" games, i like them. But SMG & SMS fails on one thing IMO, compared to SM64. They only have one star on each episode, imo it takes away the exploring aspect of SM64, on that game you could grab the stars on any order you wished, all the stars were on the map. It looks to me like Nintendo is trying very hard to make things as easy and straight-forward as possible, and that's a very bad thing imo, i guess i'm too old-school..