By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Offical NPD February 2010 Thread

Legend11 said:
Sh1nn said:
Posted already ?

"NPD Canada indeed hit today. PlayStation 3 wins the month, finishes in first. 4 out of the top 7 software titles are ps3 (2 360, 1 Wii)"

http://twitter.com/THEKyleMoffatt/status/10341885810

I'd like to see those numbers because it seems like a lot of spin.  Why the top 7?  Why not the top 10?  Seems to me that it wouldn't sound as impressive since another console may have tied or even outsold the PS3 in software.  For all we know the 2 360 titles may have sold more than those 4 PS3 games combined.

I think even 4 out of top 10 is pretty impressive.. when they have just 2 out of top 10 in USA. Definitely they r putting their best spin on the number.. But still if PS3 is Number 1 in Canada than this means in whole NA PS3 may not be so much behind XBOX360 sales or maybe even tying it for hardware sales.

I m more interested in seeing the top 10 software sales, is Heavy rain also charted in Canada top 10.. and wot is its figure. 20k or 50k or something in between.. I wish we can get Canada NPD leaks also. 

Around the Network

Wii and PS3 confirmed to be supply constrained.

"EEDAR's Divnich agrees with Frazier's perspective on supply constraints: "Our extensive retail channel checks have all indicated that, in fact, the Nintendo Wii is in short supply," he says. "We believe February numbers reflect entirely on the Wii being supply constrained and has little to do with declining demand of the product."

Anyone know how close Wii is to it's revised FY target after these numbers?

Kenology said:

"EEDAR's Divnich agrees with Frazier's perspective on supply constraints: "Our extensive retail channel checks have all indicated that, in fact, the Nintendo Wii is in short supply," he says. "We believe February numbers reflect entirely on the Wii being supply constrained and has little to do with declining demand of the product."

Where does that quote say anything about the PS3? All I see mentioned is the Wii being supply constrained.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

JaggedSac said:
Why did your estimations not take into account supply? Shouldn't it have shown in data from your sources?

Not really.  Only systematic country wide shortages would show up in the data for sure.

When it's more spotty it's hard to divine the right amount of supply constraints in the whole versus what's being reported in the sample.

scat398 said:
makingmusic476 said:
scat398 said:
The YOY increase for the 360 and Ps3 is a good sign for the video game industry. Hardware maybe down YOY in total but I look at that as a misleading indicator...Wii is down over 40% on supply issues and not a lack of demand. Ps3 could be closer to 360 but they can't get enough in stores either.

I find it hard to believe Sony is having a hard time actually keeping up with demand and is either holding inventory back to meet demand with FF and GOW or they are holding inventory back to control financial losses. I'm guessing it's the first option and will see a big March NPD for Sony, maybe over 450,000.

I wish.  We're two weeks into March and stock is still impossible to find anywhere.  We haven't recieved a shipment at my store since last week.

Though supposedly that new model is going to start popping up mid-March.  Hopefully it shows its face before God of War hits, but that's not looking likely given we're only five days out.  =/

Man that really surprises me.  Production must just not be up to full speed yet.

Yup our last shipment was over three weeks ago and the earliest we get another one will be Monday. If not monday then Wednesday and that will be the 4 week mark.

Around the Network
smbu2000 said:
Kenology said:

Where does that quote say anything about the PS3? All I see mentioned is the Wii being supply constrained.

Anita Frazier confirmed PS3 shortages.  I didn't quote that.  I think Darth quoted a few pages back though.

Interesting tid-bit. My store has about 15 wii's still... I don't know why this is. We got them over a week ago but we weren't suppose to put them out till Sunday because of an ad paper. I'm thinking the lazy sales floor team just fucked up and never brought them out.

If the 360 is selling this well now....One can only imagine what happens when NATAL launches and a potential Slim.

Good times.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Kenology said:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=64061

Check my thread, I will make an analysis soon.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

It will be within 500,000 of the 20m goal for March 2010, probably a split of 1.3m / 1.3m / 600k between Americas / Others / Japan over Jan - Mar 2010 and they only needed 2.95m to make it to 20m.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu